Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

JDR13

Arcane
At the risk of repeating myself, I strongly recommend playing this game with no HUD. This brings back the feeling of every shot mattering as it's very easy to miss constantly. Compared to putting a reticle over the face and shooting it 60 times, it's way less boring.
it's a third-person game where you can't aim down sight, how the fuck are you supposed to play it with no hud?
Laser sights?
there is one one weapon with laser sight.
Depends which game you're talking about. RE 4 used laser sights throughout the entire game. They should have kept that instead of switching to a craosshair in the later games, imo.
i was talking specifically about RE2 remake.
Laser sights everywhere is immersion-breaking for me, it's a rare thing especially during 90s. RE4 got away with it due to its cheesy tone, but REmakes are way more grounded and serious.

A laser sight is more immersion-breaking to you than a big white crosshair floating around in thin air?

One is an item in the game world and one doesn't exist within the game world. Surely you can understand the difference?

Are you legitimately disabled?

JDR13

Arcane
Laser sights everywhere is immersion-breaking for me, it's a rare thing especially during 90s. RE4 got away with it due to its cheesy tone, but REmakes are way more grounded and serious.
Holy fuckin hell! You are transcending normal retard-ness and moving into some new territory.
crosshair is a thing we are already familiar with, it's pretty much in every game, we got used to it.
Laser sight is a diegetic element, and it would've looked stupid to have it fitten on every gun in some backwater town during 90s.

RE 4 takes place in 2004. Have you even played it? Something tells me you haven't.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Holy fuckin hell! You are transcending normal retard-ness and moving into some new territory.
crosshair is a thing we are already familiar with, it's pretty much in every game, we got used to it.
Laser sight is a diegetic element, and it would've looked stupid to have it fitten on every gun in some backwater town during 90s.
RE 4 takes place in 2004. Have you even played it? Something tells me you haven't.
i was talking about your proposition to add laser sights into RE2 remake instead of crosshair.
I'm fine with laser sights in RE4 since it's a cheesy game where travelling merchant carries around a ton of guns.

JDR13

Arcane
i was talking about your proposition to add laser sights into RE2 remake instead of crosshair.
I'm fine with laser sights in RE4 since it's a cheesy game where travelling merchant carries around a ton of guns.

I never said anything about RE2. I said "the later games". - i.e. RE 5, RE 6, etc.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I never said anything about RE2. I said "the later games". - i.e. RE 5, RE 6, etc.
ok. Zombra was talking about playing RE2 remake without HUD and crosshair.
I've said it would be impossible to aim without it.
Then you have mentioned laser sight, and said that devs should've used it in later games (implying RE2 remake, since RE5-6 and Revelations all had laser sight option).

JDR13

Arcane
ok. Zombra was talking about playing RE2 remake without HUD and crosshair.
I've said it would be impossible to aim without it.
Then you have mentioned laser sight, and said that devs should've used it in later games (implying RE2 remake, since RE5-6 and Revelations all had laser sight option).

I'm pretty sure I know what I was implying since I'm the one who wrote it. I was talking about the games that came after RE 4, and RE 5 & 6 had no option for laser sight if you played the PC version with mouse+keyboard.

Wunderbar

Arcane
games that came after RE 4, and RE 5 & 6 had no option for laser sight if you played the PC version with mouse+keyboard.
Laser sight was in those games, the fact that it was turned off in certain ports doesn't really matter in a current discussion.

Also i'm pretty sure there is an option to turn it on in RE6.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Anyway, the whole thing derailed.

I've already pointed out i was talking about laser sight in RE2 remake.

What is more immersive:
- a clear white non-diegetic crosshair that we've all got used to, or
- a laser sight on every gun in a game set during 90s.

A flashlight reticle like in Alan Wake would've been more immersive.

DayofBlow

Educated
The HP of the zombies in REmake 2 is perfectly fine. Their damage resistance + their unexpected agility in some situations + the impossibility of knowing if a zombie is gone for good it what makes them more dangerous than ever before.
Lol, as I said, the shit element gets rationalised as great and essential. Zombies playing possum and twitch grabs have 0 to relation with their HP. You went and lumped 'em together to prop it up.

Lowering resources and their HP would literally be a net 0 for how much easier they would become, and it would not change any other mechanics they have dingus. The only thing it would mitigate is the awful bullet spunge garbage, preferably to a degree where it would no longer make the game flaccid as fuck.
I think it's fine for zombies to be bullet spongy. At the risk of repeating myself, I strongly recommend playing this game with no HUD. This brings back the feeling of every shot mattering as it's very easy to miss constantly. Compared to putting a reticle over the face and shooting it 60 times, it's way less boring.
That's a bandaid, game wasn't designed around not having a HUD. Nothing is balanced or designed for it. If it was designed for it, eg, shots would have a tracer effect so you could follow your bullets' trajectory better, instead of the reticle narrowing, you'd have a light sway at first and you have to aim longer to get a slight zoom and a stable shot, even with handguns you'd be incentivised to wait until they get close to do reliable high damage head shots and you'd only do body shots from a distance due to the aformentioned sway, this means enemy/AI behaviour would have to change accordingly to feed into this gameplay loop.

So yeah, none of that. It just makes the game feel like it's missing a crosshair.

DayofBlow

Educated
You say that like it's a bad thing. In a zombie game, it's good if individuals are unmemorable.

Resident evil isn't just a zombie game. Is a horror game. And if the monsters of your horror game aren't mechanically interesting or memorable then you have a problem.

As I said, that works for action games, like Left 4 dead for example. Where the zombies aren't a threat by themselves, only when they are thrown in waves. And the dangerous ones are the "elite" zombies.
jfc, there's a hard cap to how 'mechanically interesting' they can be, because they're zombies straight from the fucking 80s
and then you add bullet sponge in a TPS, to make them shit on top of being generic

not like the zombies were amazing in the old games neither, REmake/0's grey zombie designs looked nice and that's about it

What is more immersive:

A flashlight reticle like in Alan Wake would've been more immersive.
the second one because it has an in universe justification while the first one is 4th wall breaking videogame shit

so there's an excess of laser sights, who gives a fuck

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
At the risk of repeating myself, I strongly recommend playing this game with no HUD. This brings back the feeling of every shot mattering as it's very easy to miss constantly. Compared to putting a reticle over the face and shooting it 60 times, it's way less boring.
it's a third-person game where you can't aim down sight, how the fuck are you supposed to play it with no hud?
Laser sights?
Depends which game you're talking about. RE 4 used laser sights throughout the entire game. They should have kept that instead of switching to a craosshair in the later games, imo.

A laser sight is more immersion-breaking to you than a big white crosshair floating around in thin air?

One is an item in the game world and one doesn't exist within the game world. Surely you can understand the difference?

I'm sure you can understand the difference between an item that is within the gameworld, that the characters are aware of and interact with, and something that is simply a part of the hud. It doesn't take a genius to realize why some people might find one more immersion breaking than the other. You just chose not to address the question because it exposes how stupid your point was. And no, I don't give a fuck about the laser sights or the cross hair. Just pointing out your bad faith argument as a neutral observer of this pissing match.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Jesus, I'm not calling you stupid. Nostalgia effects everyone's preferences, including mine. It's a fact of life. You saying "I really like it!" doesn't refute what I'm saying at all, because my point is about why you like it.
And I have never, ever misunderstood that point. I have indeed refuted it about 6 times now, yet you keep repeating it as if saying it over and over will make it true. It isn't.

Look: we described and agreed on what nostalgia means, and I explained that the feelings I have are not nostalgia; I detailed the difference between my feelings and nostalgia; yet you keep saying it's nothing but nostalgia without any justification or rationale besides "yep I think so". No, it isn't nostalgia, and yes, you're insulting my intelligence by insinuating that I'm not capable of liking something because of its actual, present virtues. Either fucking stop or make an honest effort to give a valid argument.

Or. 3rd option. Back off from being such a condescending prick and acknowledge that rational adults can enjoy something that you yourself do not enjoy for reasons other than it reminding them of being a baby.

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also relevant:

XMIruIv.png
quote pyramid x 9

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Lol, as I said, the shit element gets rationalised as great and essential.

Where did I say that it is "great and essential"?

Zombies playing possum and twitch grabs have 0 to relation with their HP. You went and lumped 'em together to prop it up.

Lowering resources and their HP would literally be a net 0 for how much easier they would become, and it would not change any other mechanics they have dingus. The only thing it would mitigate is the awful bullet spunge garbage, preferably to a degree where it would no longer make the game flaccid as fuck.

All those elements I mentioned are tied together, their combination is what defines how the zombies work inside the game. So no, you can't make them killable by 1-2 pistol headshots and expect them to be as scary when they have no chance of getting closer to you. It also destroys completely the located damage system that the game has. There wouldn't be any reason to shot them on the limbs. The resources are already scarce, to the point that each ammo box grants you with around 7 pistols rounds, or 2-3 shotgun shells (In hardcore at least). Lowering them even more has no sense.

If you want to kill zombies easily in a couple of shots then go and play Leon's campaing in RE6. Maybe after doing it you will understand a little more why the hell the decided to make the zombies tough, not just in REmake 2 but also in every classic game of the franchise.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Or. 3rd option. Back off from being such a condescending prick and acknowledge that rational adults can enjoy something that you yourself do not enjoy for reasons other than it reminding them of being a baby.

I've already tried to defuse this several times, you won't let me. You want me to lie and say I don't believe something, which I'm not going to do. There is zero way you will ever convince me that, had you not played the early RE games in your past, you would play a game like REmake 2 and say "man this would be better with a static camera and tank controls." It's just impossible for you to convince me of that. Now, you can take it as an insult... which it is NOT intended to be, as shown by me saying the same thing about myself and other genres... or you can say you think I'm full of shit and punch me on the shoulder and then we laugh and talk about something else. Maybe I've been a little condescending, my debate style can come off that way sometimes, but it's never personal. As I already said, I always respect your views on things. We just disagree here.

Not gonna post again on this topic. Have a happy holiday season, sincerely and with no sarcasm.

Zombra

Patron
There is zero way you will ever convince me that, had you not played the early RE games in your past, you would play a game like REmake 2 and say "man this would be better with a static camera and tank controls."
Good ... because no one said anything like this whatsoever on either side ... so if this is what you were actually thinking then the rest of us (including your mouth) were having a completely different conversation. Get your shit together next time and maybe we can get somewhere.

Best to you and yours, I'm looking forward to a fucking day off personally.

DayofBlow

Educated
Where did I say that it is "great and essential"?
Paraphrasing you dunce.
The HP of the zombies in REmake 2 is perfectly fine. Their damage resistance + their unexpected agility in some situations + the impossibility of knowing if a zombie is gone for good it what makes them more dangerous than ever before.
"buh I didn't use exact word"
:retarded:
All those elements I mentioned are tied together, their combination is what defines how the zombies work inside the game. So no, you can't make them killable by 1-2 pistol headshots and expect them to be as scary when they have no chance of getting closer to you. It also destroys completely the located damage system that the game has. There wouldn't be any reason to shot them on the limbs. The resources are already scarce, to the point that each ammo box grants you with around 7 pistols rounds, or 2-3 shotgun shells (In hardcore at least). Lowering them even more has no sense.

If you want to kill zombies easily in a couple of shots then go and play Leon's campaing in RE6. Maybe after doing it you will understand a little more why the hell the decided to make the zombies tough, not just in REmake 2 but also in every classic game of the franchise.
You just described the exact scenario where it's still of value. 2 shots to the head for the kill, one shot in the leg gets them down and crawling, shooting 1 in an arm disables zombie grab. You have [x] handgun bullets and you encounter [>=x-1] zombies. Do the math retard. I'm not arguing to be that stringent, but even at it's leanest, you can still get the desired results.

Can you comprehend the fact that their HP is this big, because they exist to drain your resources. If you proportionally decrease both, the end result is still the same. The only thing that changes is the sum amount of bullets they tank, aka the shitty bullet sponge.

mfw, you literally argued the exact way I described in my initial post, "the bullet spunge makes it scurry"
:deathclaw:

JDR13

Arcane
games that came after RE 4, and RE 5 & 6 had no option for laser sight if you played the PC version with mouse+keyboard.
Laser sight was in those games, the fact that it was turned off in certain ports doesn't really matter in a current discussion.

Also i'm pretty sure there is an option to turn it on in RE6.

Are you intentionally being obtuse?

Again, the laser sight was not an option in the PC versions if you were using Keyboard and mouse. That's the only version I've played, and I'm not aware of other versions being different if they indeed are. You're suggesting that some other version had the laser sight, but why would that matter to me if that's not the version I have? I'm not sure what's so difficult to understand about that.

What is more immersive:

tenor.gif

JDR13

Arcane
Laser sights?

I'm sure you can understand the difference between an item that is within the gameworld, that the characters are aware of and interact with, and something that is simply a part of the hud. It doesn't take a genius to realize why some people might find one more immersion breaking than the other. You just chose not to address the question because it exposes how stupid your point was. And no, I don't give a fuck about the laser sights or the cross hair. Just pointing out your bad faith argument as a neutral observer of this pissing match.

I can understand that something that realistically exists within the game world is inherently less immersion-breaking than a crosshair just floating around in the air. At least that's what most rational people would agree with.

The only thing you've exposed is that you're obviously a fucking idiot.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Again, the laser sight was not an option in the PC versions if you were using Keyboard and mouse. That's the only version I've played, and I'm not aware of other versions being different if they indeed are. You're suggesting that some other version had the laser sight, but why would that matter to me if that's not the version I have? I'm not sure what's so difficult to understand about that.
what was and what wasn't in RE5-6 doesn't matter because the thread is about RE2 remake, Zombra was talking about playing RE2 remake without crosshair, and I was talking about impossibility of playing RE2 remake without crosshair. Then you mentioned laser sight and started complaining about subsequent RE games not featuring it, and now you're ignoring the fact that some versions of those games actually featured it.

Are you intentionally being obtuse?
No, u. Again, what are you trying to prove here?

JDR13

Arcane
what was and what wasn't in RE5-6 doesn't matter because the thread is about RE2 remake, Zombra was talking about playing RE2 remake without crosshair, and I was talking about impossibility of playing RE2 remake without crosshair. Then you mentioned laser sight and started complaining about subsequent RE games not featuring it, and now you're ignoring the fact that some versions of those games actually featured it.

Going to play dumb now huh?

I made it clear right away that I was talking about RE 5 & 6. Go back and read the conversation again. It's completely irrelevant that it's a RE 2 Remake thread because I specifically pointed out that I was talking about those games. Are you now going to pretend that we're not allowed to discuss other games here? Either stop being retarded or move on.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Going to play dumb now huh?

I made it clear right away that I was talking about RE 5 & 6. Go back and read the conversation again. It's completely irrelevant that it's a RE 2 Remake thread because I specifically pointed out that I was talking about those games. Are you now going to pretend that we're not allowed to discuss other games here? Either stop being retarded or move on.
Ok, let's pretend that RE5 and RE6 never had a laser sight option. So what now, are you happy? Again, what are you trying to prove here?
If you never meant RE2 remake, then why the fuck have you answered at all? I was talking about crosshair in RE2 remake.

JDR13

Arcane
Ok, let's pretend that RE5 and RE6 never had a laser sight option. So what now, are you happy? Again, what are you trying to prove here?

We don't need to pretend because they DON'T HAVE a laser sight in the PC versions which are the only versions I've played. Your retarded response is that some other version had an option for it which is totally irrelevant since that's not the version I have or am talking about. I'm not trying to prove anything, I simply stated that I prefer the laser sight. You seem to have a fucking problem with that for some reason.

If you never meant RE2 remake, then why the fuck have you answered at all? I was talking about crosshair in RE2 remake.

Are you seriously this fucking dumb? You're the one who originally responded to one of my posts and started this shit.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom