Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 3 Remake - Nemesis has a nose now!!!

Wunderbar

Arcane
Original RE3 is more action oriented than original RE2.

Momock

Augur
It isn't shocking news that REmake 3 will be more action oriented, it's logical. What is more questionnable is when they say that the game will have more changes than REmake 2. Changes about what? The level design in the city maybe, that wasn't something iconic that people wouldn't want to change too much like the police station from RE2? Will it be more "open worldy" like The Evil Within 2 (witch is good if done on the same way, not the ubisoft way of course) when on the streets and more respectful of the original design in the "dungeons" (police station, church, hospital, depuration station,...)?

Personally I won't complain if the layout of the streets is redone without the limitations of the original (they were closed rooms separated by doors lke the insides, but on the outside).

Last edited:

Terra

Cipher
Hmmm, the last time Resident Evil went action oriented we got the travesties that were 5 and 6. I wonder if this will end up another example of a dev deciding a flawed direction for a sequel's development before seeing how popular RE2 ended up being.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Hmmm, the last time Resident Evil went action oriented we got the travesties that were 5 and 6. I wonder if this will end up another example of a dev deciding a flawed direction for a sequel's development before seeing how popular RE2 ended up being.

Resident Evil 3 Nemesis was designed to be a lot more focused on action with more enemies at the same time. The whole story of the game is that Jill wants to escape Racoon City while being hunted by the Nemesis, so there is no way they could turn this into a slow horror game like RE2R.
Anyway, you will still manage your inventory and solve riddles but this time Jill will be a shooting a lot more so they will probably have improved the gunplay.

I am not sure if that's been confirmed but I have read that the game has been changed a lot compared to RE2R even parts of the story is now very different. Which would explain why this is called Resident Evil 3 and not a remake like the others.

Last edited:

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I don't think you've played RE: 3 if you think making it an action game is decline.

Terra

Cipher
RE3's mechanics were basically RE2's with a dodge button added, I played it plenty back in the day thanks. You're fooling yourself if you think RE3 was some massive departure from RE2 because it wasn't.

Momock

Augur
RE3's mechanics were basically RE2's with a dodge button added.
And the quickturn, and freely usable stairs, and the bullshit mash-the-buttons-to-get-your-fat-ass-off-the-ground-before-Nemesis-grabs-you-again. And also the gunpowder mixing levelupable skill and shooting explosive barrels (they removed Jill's tube top for "realism", so if I see red barrels everywhere in the remake I'll be mad!).

It was half good new mechanics, half bad ones. We have to hope that they'll stick to the good decision to keep out the buttons and sticks rape like in REmake 2.

JDR13

Arcane

I didn't think RE 5 was bad. RE 6 on the other hand is most definitely a travesty. It feels like one long chain of QTEs.

RE5 is at least enjoyable in co-op. Though QTE sequences and some shittier segments like the mounted gun horseshit really bring it down. RE6 I couldn't play for more than one hour. Disgusting!

Karellen

Arcane
RE3's mechanics were basically RE2's with a dodge button added, I played it plenty back in the day thanks. You're fooling yourself if you think RE3 was some massive departure from RE2 because it wasn't.

The difference between RE2 and RE3 was mostly down to the structure and encounter design more than the actual mechanics. The boss encounters are a lot more emphasised in RE3 than in RE1 or RE2, and having to account for all the optional encounters with Nemesis (who is a big bullet sponge) basically made it impossible to have a genuinely tight ammunition economy. The area design isn't as interconnected and compact as in the earlier games, and there's not a lot of freedom in terms of selecting routes. That the mechanics didn't change that much is true, but if anything, that's a problem - the area and encounter design of RE3, especially in the first half, don't really match the mechanics, which were intended for the lower pace and greater focus on exploration and route selection that characterises RE1 and 2.

In that regard, I think it sounds basically appropriate to make the RE3 remake more action-focused than the RE2 remake. RE3 always struck me as a schitzophrenic game, trying to be something it couldn't be, and unlike the RE2 remake (which, to me, felt like a noble but ultimately misguided exercise in compromises), there's a fair chance that the RE3 remake will improve upon the original.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Resident evil 3 is more action oriented than RE2, mostly thanks to Nemesis. Which is no little, the game is called "Resident evil 3: Nemesis" for a reason. The entire dodging system was added to give more defensive options to the player, along with the ammo crafting system (Which is kinda depth compared with the one in REmake 2). The game did reward you with little weapon parts after defeating Nemesis, along with changes in the game story. There is a lot of focus on multitudinary zombies encounters, barrel explosions and stuff.

Finally, and I leave it a part because it's very debatable, it is the easy mode. Where the player started with a fuckin rifle assault and a lot of weapons and ammo on the chest.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I didn't think RE 5 was bad. RE 6 on the other hand is most definitely a travesty. It feels like one long chain of QTEs.

6 is the only one I haven't played... well, and 7, because I haven't gotten around to it. Is 6 even worth fucking with at all? I've heard the Leon campaign is worth playing at least.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Is 6 even worth fucking with at all? I've heard the Leon campaign is worth playing at least.
6 is a fundamentally broken game with shit level design and godawful QTEs.
The only worthwhile part of it is Mercenaries, because spacious arenas at least allow you to perform all these fancy combat moves without bumping into a wall.

Momock

Augur
6 is the only one I haven't played... well, and 7, because I haven't gotten around to it. Is 6 even worth fucking with at all? I've heard the Leon campaign is worth playing at least.
It is absolute garbage with zero redeemable qualities. You can try it just for fun, but only if you have truly nothing else to do.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

The mercenaires is cool.
If you're going to play the campgain though, play it with a friend (same advice for RE5).
These games are obviously meant for co-op.

Speaking of RE5.
I really like that game's locations, enemies and overall aesthetics.
It really has to do with the game being set on Africa.
It's the perfect setting for games where you play as a sort of mercenary. Yet very few games are set there (Far Cry 2, RE5, MGS5 and some levels of the Uncharted games)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom