Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 3 Remake - Nemesis has a nose now!!!

Reinhardt

Arcane
Why she's not black and fat?

Drakortha

Liturgist
Just to give Capcom some credit - just before the first Birkin fight in RE2 Remake there is a large shelve blocking a doorway. Playing Leon, he's able to shove the shelf aside, but playing on Claire she is unable to. Same goes in previous games such as RE0, where a crank elevator can only be operated by Billy. In Remake 1, the shotgun has a stronger recoil effect on Jill than it does on Chris, making her take a step back with each shot. Etc.

I don't think Capcom are really that "woke", for lack of a better term. They are certainly better than many other developers at this time. The only thing I wish they'd do less of is censoring violence such as not showing main character getting his/her head torn off by those sewer monsters in RE2 Remake. There's a few moments where the violence is toned back a little bit like that, or when Mr X crushes your head it's done off-screen. Just things like that.. I want all the gore that we had in the original trilogy.

It didn't make sense for Jill to run around in a crop top and a mini skirt anyhow. The change to a more practical look is justified here.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
So, playing the demo has me conflicted... for one they fcked up Jill's attitude, she feels like a pompous bitch. Anyway, the issue is the environments, they feel like they tunnel you. The explorable areas all feel like lines with barely any place to move around. The red barrels nonsense.. And you can no longer trigger play-dead Zombies by attacking like in RE2, instead there seems to be 2 or 3 scripted Zombies that are tied to story progression, they don't come alive when you shoot at them, but they do when I pick up x item.. -_-

Love the dodge button, finally feels like you can move around properly though it looks janky as hell. Shooting sound feels a little a hollow but there is more umpf! Jills jogging with pistol animation really looks janky. Anyway, killed all the zombies, downed Nemesis and had a lot of ammo to spare..

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Meanwhile in the original game

source.gif

Generic-Giant-Spider

After playing through the demo and curious about Nemesis, it seems:

Nemesis is from the looks of things going to be very heavily relying on scripted events while in RE2 Remake Mr. X dropping in meant you were stuck with him until you went to a new section. The big difference between them though is Mr. X had two sort of "modes." His first mode is to seek you out while his second mode is to attack you and these modes are activated on condition that you are in Mr. X's line of sight or if you lose him by running far enough. Going into a Safe Room automatically has him revert to search mode. Nemesis on the other hand, once he appears he will always be glued to you. He purely has attack mode on 24/7, as long as you're in that specific sequence with him he'll never be shaken off. Even going into the Safe Room, the second I left it he was right back on my ass. There's no condition for Nemesis to fulfill to attack you anyways in these portions, Mr. X had to see your character while Nemesis acts like he's always aware of your character and will constantly be hunting you down.

If I'm to guess, Nemesis is designed this way not only to give more urgency and panic but also because it allows them to make Nemesis both theatrical and oppressive but not an annoying obstacle like Mr. X started to become after the initial shock. Nemesis can run faster, has a grab attack that is hard to dodge, can roar and stun you in place, can straight up jump down right in front of you, and will later use weaponry like a flamethrower.

Around the demo map there are multiple points that you can trigger him to suddenly appear, such as jumping directly in front of you. I'm guessing in the final game once you're engaged in a Nemesis confrontation then these places will exist in that specific area. For example, if I were to run and seemingly lose Nemesis off my trail then there's very likely an event trigger near, say, the toy shop in which once I get to a certain distance he'll always appear there by jumping in front of me or punching through a wall or some other thing. It's not like Mr. X where once you lose him, he'll be stuck and go back to search mode.

It's actually fairly faithful in execution to the OG Nemesis. The thing about Mr. X is his AI is easy to exploit and once you know the layout he becomes easy to avoid, but Nemesis is going to have a ton of hidden hotspots all around he can activate to and ambush you from. I wouldn't be surprised if he is often placed in areas you backtrack to, the designers figuring by then you have a good layout of where to go but at the same time giving you the challenge of Nemesis constantly barreling down on you.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I know Jill doesn't like the mercs due to their connection to Umbrella so her being hostile towards them makes sense, but I hope she's not such an unlikable bitch like they made her look here in the demo.

Carlos has way more personality and doesn't look like a total metrosexual. At least they're doing him justice this time around. Just please don't make Jill a cunt, Capcom. Jill's competent and level headed, not a cunt. =(

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Jill actually has reasons for being so pissed off during the events of RE3. She survived the mansion incident, and she reported what happened here to Irons. Irons didn't "believe" her (Since he was already bought by Birkin), and eventually decided to fire her from STARS for a period of time. Then the city outbreak happens and hundreds of people die because nobody believed her. Then the same corporation responsible of the virus sends a rescue team to the city to "save and evacuate people" and asks her for help.

ec4a36911f893165ac947ea97e61fe68o.png

Yep, I would be angry if I was her. And horny.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Horny? why?

Also I'd like to see that famous scene where Jill has a go at Mikhail for taking his frustrations out on the Zombies, stating that they were once innocent people and don't deserve it.

A horse of course

I'm gonna skip this one for now. I think I'll replay Resident Evil 3 at some point in the future and then get this in a sale somewhere down the line, that way I can compare the two without relying on teen nostalgia.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Jill actually has reasons for being so pissed off during the events of RE3.

Nobody says she doesn't have a right to be pissed off from the events unfolding. But there is a difference between losing and keeping ones composure. And she is a member of STARS, so she should be keeping it together.

That is one thing that stood out to me about her character in the original RE3. The situation was always dire and very serious, but she was always calm, collected, and had the voice of reason. When she slaps Carlos, that was her own controlled decision to get him to "snap out of it". She wasn't throwing cuss words about and acting sassy for the sake of it. If they are going for that tough girl attitude in the Remake, then I would say that it's the wrong way to go about it. It's surface level. To me, tough means keeping composure even under pressure; not taking it out on your allies.

Karellen

Arcane
You know, playing the demo made me realise something that really annoys me about the shift to over-the-shoulder camera: while shooting zombies and scrounging for stuff works all right and all, when the camera is over the shoulder, you can only really see in front of you or behind you, but not both. This is a problem when you're running away from the Nemesis because it's really hard to dodge his attacks while at the same time navigating the map and dodging the zombies ahead. It wasn't as bad in the RE2 Remake, because there you were mostly running away from Mr. X. in an environment you were already familiar with (and he only does melee attacks anyway), but here you kind of want to keep track of Nemmy's grubby tentacles, and you can't really do it while still watching where you're going.

There's a reason why the alligator escape scene in the RE2 remake had the camera set in front of Leon; it's not all that tense to run away from something you can't even see, but of course that was a fixed sequence where you don't have to know what's ahead of you. The original RE3 wasn't a particularly good Resident Evil game, but at least the fixed camera angles were often selected so they'd show you where the titular Nemesis was. Things being like this, I anticipate being more annoyed than frightened by the Nemesis in the remake, but I guess we'll see how it goes.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
You know, playing the demo made me realise something that really annoys me about the shift to over-the-shoulder camera: while shooting zombies and scrounging for stuff works all right and all, when the camera is over the shoulder, you can only really see in front of you or behind you, but not both. This is a problem when you're running away from the Nemesis because it's really hard to dodge his attacks while at the same time navigating the map and dodging the zombies ahead. It wasn't as bad in the RE2 Remake, because there you were mostly running away from Mr. X. in an environment you were already familiar with (and he only does melee attacks anyway), but here you kind of want to keep track of Nemmy's grubby tentacles, and you can't really do it while still watching where you're going.

There's a reason why the alligator escape scene in the RE2 remake had the camera set in front of Leon; it's not all that tense to run away from something you can't even see, but of course that was a fixed sequence where you don't have to know what's ahead of you. The original RE3 wasn't a particularly good Resident Evil game, but at least the fixed camera angles were often selected so they'd show you where the titular Nemesis was. Things being like this, I anticipate being more annoyed than frightened by the Nemesis in the remake, but I guess we'll see how it goes.

With a little bit of skill and environtmental awareness you can deal with both Nemesis and the rest of enemies just fine. I recommend to increase the camera speed, I do this in every game that's offers encounter with multiple enemies at the same time (Souls and Nioh for example). I did a bit of recording of it, nothing too good but you get the point.

I did this playing with a PS4 pad. With mouse and keyboard is way easier, since camera movement is faster and precise. The hardest thing is the mutated zombies, who could potentially be a pain in the ass, but they have an audio clue for when they launch their tentacle attack.

sullynathan

Arcane
Zombies are more aggressive and there seems to be knife moves this time for Claire. Did they remove dismemberment or is it toned down for the demo?

Wunderbar

Arcane
Apparentely, the game was released earlier in France, some french player already streamed the game on twitch and finished it in just 5 hours on normal.

giant spiders were cut.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom