Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 3 Remake - Nemesis has a nose now!!!

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
there wasnt really much freedom in R2R either.

Drakortha

Liturgist

There was enough in the police station segments to be enjoyable, where you could tackle most of the objectives in any order you wanted. And Mr X was at least an attempt at a boss that dynamically stalks you. I expected they would have built upon this foundation with Nemesis, where he stalks you throughout the city while you are trying to avoid him and get shit done.

RE3 railroads you from start to finish and every Nemesis encounter is scripted. So replay ability is out the window or any chance of surprise encounters during a 2nd play through. It's predictable, too.

They're dialing back the original formula again and are bringing it more in line with RE6 on rails shooter shit, which I loath.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

There was enough in the police station segments to be enjoyable, where you could tackle most of the objectives in any order you wanted. RE3 railroads you from start to finish.

They are dialing back the original formula and bringing it more in line with RE6, which I loath.

Tackle objectives in what order? You had a set line of goals, and before you could progress you had to do certain things in order to proceed, I don't see how that is any different. Maybe abit more space in the police station, true, but we know RE2 is a better game than RE3, so it's moot at this point.

RE2R was already reduced compared to RE2 vanilla.

Momock

Augur
Tackle objectives in what order? You had a set line of goals, and before you could progress you had to do certain things in order to proceed, I don't see how that is any different. Maybe abit more space in the police station, true, but we know RE2 is a better game than RE3, so it's moot at this point.

So fucking what? What are you trying to say? That REmake 3 is good and worth 60 jewros?

Wunderbar

Arcane
8F56FF334F65D18031BF476D6D7E8D6AE33C5623

Unlike RE2R, Hardcore is available from the get go, and it's just Normal but with less supplies and more damaging enemies. No ink ribbons.
Statistic shows "0 deaths" because i've been picking "load game" instead of "continue". Actually i died quite a few times, because game really loves to attack you mid cutscene (basically a QTE, except there are no button prompts - you just gain control for a few seconds and must run away from danger).

Things that were removed:
- Streets are much shorter and more linear. In fact, the whole game is super linear and on rails, there are so many setpiece moments it reminded me of Leon's campaign from RE6;
- Remember how everyone thought that Nemesis is going to be Mr X on steroids? Nope. He's not stalking you, he just spawns with a flashy loud cutscene/QTE, and you fight him or slowly jog away while tanking damage. Predefined boss-battles aside, he attacks you on streets a whopping three times lol;
- Remember bonus guns that can be looted from Nemesis if you down him when he's stalking you on streets? They were cut. Instead he drops supply boxes with pistol upgrades (there are only two of them, after that he only drops ammo);
- Remember a fuckton of bonus costumes for Jill in original? Well, now there are only three of them - default, classic (for preorder only) and her RE1 outfit with beret and pauldrons;
- Remember live selection feature from original? It's not in the remake;
- Remember clever self-defense system from both previous remakes where you could use a dagger or a flashbang to free yourself from a grab? It is not in RE3R, instead there is a QTEs where you mash buttons;
- Giant enemy spiders, crows and grave digger aren't in the RE3R;
- Drain deimoses were downgraded to small parasites who attack you in just one very short location. They also die in one shotgun blast;
- All brain-busting puzzles of original were cut. There are only two puzzles in the game, and both are very easy;
- Clock tower interior, park, cemetery and dead factory were cut;
- Ammo crafting was nerfed and streamlined;

Things that were expanded:
- Hunters gamma are now an entirely different beast and not just reskined Hunters beta. They also look like wanamingos from fallout;
- There are parasitic zombies that can attack you with a tentacle (like ganados and majini from re4-5);

Things that were added:
- Dodging mechanic, it works just like in RE Revelations 2;
- There is a new location at the end of the game - Laboratory;

RE3R is bad as a remake because it is basically a different game with major parts of original removed, bad as a reimagining because it fails to improve or expand on original, and as a stand-alone game it is short, mediocre and devoid of replayability. Half-assed job from capcom, thoroughly disappointed.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
8F56FF334F65D18031BF476D6D7E8D6AE33C5623

Unlike RE2R, Hardcore is available from the get go, and it's just Normal but with less supplies and more damaging enemies. No ink ribbons.
Statistic shows "0 deaths" because i've been picking "load game" instead of "continue". Actually i died quite a few times, because game really loves to attack you mid cutscene (basically a QTE, except there are no button prompts - you just gain control for a few seconds and must run away from danger).

Things that were removed:
- Streets are much shorter and more linear. In fact, the whole game is super linear and on rails, there are so many setpiece moments it reminded me of Leon's campaign from RE6;
- Remember how everyone thought that Nemesis is going to be Mr X on steroids? Nope. He's not stalking you, he just spawns with a flashy loud cutscene/QTE, and you fight him or slowly jog away while tanking damage. Predefined boss-battles aside, he attacks you on streets a whopping three times lol;
- Remember bonus guns that can be looted from Nemesis if you down him when he's stalking you on streets? They were cut. Instead he drops supply boxes with pistol upgrades (there are only two of them, after that he only drops ammo);
- Remember a fuckton of bonus costumes for Jill in original? Well, now there are only three of them - default, classic (for preorder only) and her RE1 outfit with beret and pauldrons;
- Remember live selection feature from original? It's not in the remake;
- Remember clever self-defense system from both previous remakes where you could use a dagger or a flashbang to free yourself from a grab? It is not in RE3R, instead there is a QTEs where you mash buttons;
- Giant enemy spiders, crows and grave digger aren't in the RE3R;
- Drain deimoses were downgraded to small parasites who attack you in just one very short location. They also die in one shotgun blast;
- All brain-busting puzzles of original were cut. There are only two puzzles in the game, and both are very easy;
- Clock tower interior, park, cemetery and dead factory were cut;
- Ammo crafting was nerfed and streamlined;

Things that were expanded:
- Hunters gamma are now an entirely different beast and not just reskined Hunters beta. They also look like wanamingos from fallout;
- There are parasitic zombies that can attack you with a tentacle (like ganados and majini from re4-5);

Things that were added:
- Dodging mechanic, it works just like in RE Revelations 2;
- There is a new location at the end of the game - Laboratory;

RE3R is bad as a remake because it is basically a different game with major parts of original removed, bad as a reimagining because it fails to improve or expand on original, and as a stand-alone game it is short, mediocre and devoid of replayability. Half-assed job from capcom, thoroughly disappointed.

Don't forget to ask for a refund, after you played the game extensively.

Generic-Giant-Spider

RE3 Nemesis was my personal favorite RE and this remake feels like it has been given the redheaded stepchild treatment. A lot of the complaints mentioned are legitimate, the game moves in fast forward from the beginning and you're introduced to Brad, Nemesis and Carlos within ten minutes of Jill waking up. This remake entirely eliminates sections of the original like it wants to be over with. RE2 Remake was pretty good and was treated with much more love while this game felt like both a response to the last game's praise but also done very sloppily.

If there's one game that had way more potential of knocking it out of the fucking park as a remake, it was RE3 and DAMN did they botch it. This is borderline dark days Capcom from the late 00s, early 2010s when they made RE games play themselves. If you've played the demo, well you've played the most open ended part of the game because everything beyond that is pretty much a level.

Nemesis was done horribly. Curiously, I noticed the title of this game is simply "Resident Evil 3" and no longer with the Nemesis subtitle and that's a good thing because Mr. X from RE2 felt more Nemesis than Nemesis did this whole game. Because this game lasts like 4-5 hours (this is with me playing it casually and wrestling with the Run/L3 button because my controller is half deceased), you go through the various stages of Nemesis almost rapidly and his default form doesn't even last that long. Like two or three encounters maybe and then it's gone and he becomes some flesh hound thing. In the original he's much more around and makes for a thrilling first playthrough due to how random it feels, in this game you can almost predict every time he'll appear because he's always associated with a cutscene. He never pops through a window when you're just chilling to get some gunpowder you left behind and starts chokeslamming you into the walls. God, they fucked Nemesis bad. Mr. X makes more an impression between these two games which feels fundamentally wrong. Back in the day, Nemesis made Mr. X feel like a bitch made jobber.

The amount of cuts they made to sections of the game was absurd. As mentioned the whole beginning section is entirely discarded, clock tower is a cameo, the park is left out, no Grave Digger, no giant spiders, I'm pretty sure it's missing another enemy that was similar to the drain deimos, no CYOA style sections, no roaming the city, they even got rid of blue herbs, it's just a mess. When you play the demo you think the part in the game you're at would logically be maybe an hour or two into the game on your first go around, but it's within 20 minutes at most you're in the subway part.

What they did add to try and make up didn't add much of anything. This now goes into the enemies. There's a greater variety of enemies compared to REmake 2 (I'm pretty sure of it at least), but this variety is a gimmick associated with the sections themselves. Drain deimos' literally appear in one area that lasts five or so minutes, the Hunters are the same way and there's like four zombie dogs in the whole game that feel sprinkled in as an "oh shit we forgot about these" way.

If they gave this game more care and reeled back on the amount of railroading in favor of letting the player have a more exploration heavy experience around Raccoon City (which from the glimpses you see are environmentally great looking and sells the vibe well) with Nemesis appearing at seemingly random intervals to fuck your world up... it would've been so good. Like this game needed maybe 3 hours more to it and it could have become way better than REmake 2.

There's also some bizarre things they bring up but are never done again. Like when you're introduced to the drain deimos, it gets the drop on Jill and proceeds to do what I can only describe as a throatfucking. The screen gets a hazy filter, your status goes from Fine to "Parasite", you're told to eat a green herb to purge it and are treated to Jill projectile vomiting. Cool. This never happens again. Mostly because you never meet drain deimos beyond a small segment ever again. It's like they designed this part two years ago, forgot all about it, and left it in for fun.

Also some weird censoring or toning down on gore. Hunter Beta's for example don't have their trademark decapitation. Instead they merely slice your throat and you fall down dead. Wha the fuck is that SNES Mortal Kombat horseshit?

Overall, huge disappointment.

They also cut Mercenaries for something called "RESISTANCE." It looks like the stupidest thing that I can't wait to never try. A waste of a mode that nobody ever asked for.

garren

Arcane
Patron
There's walkthroughs out already and I watched a bit of them, looks like there's some pretty huge railroading, just one setpiece after another without much freedom. :decline:

mogwaimon

Magister

So fucking what? What are you trying to say? That REmake 3 is good and worth 60 jewros?

if you're paying 60 bucks for this you're not looking in the right places. lot of people complaining that the game is too short to be 60 bucks. well then don't buy it, get it for 40 from key reseller sites, or wait for it to drop in price. if you preordered it then you only have yourself to blame, y'all should know better by now that preorders just lead to disappointment and rage.
RE games have never been that long anyways, in terms of a single playthrough, so i don't get why people are complaining that it's 'too short'. i can get complaining that they cut too much from the original or that they cut the Mercenaries mode out in favor of a shitty multiplayer mode because those are legitimate gripes but 'it's too short'? When RE takes like 5-7 hours to beat a single first runthrough if you're not completely braindead?

A horse of course

This sounds like shit, glad Turkroaches dumped Bannerlord too early and saved me from impulse buying.

SumDrunkGuy

Damn, it's disappointing to hear that this is basically a budget version of REmake 2. I'll still play it because I'm a whore for this franchise.

Generic-Giant-Spider

What, you don't want to play your RE game as bunch of diverse kids instead of old russian mercenaries? In current year?

Even beyond that, the mode just looks really dumb. You play as some survivor team that has to escape from some rooms while another player is a French dickhead that talks trash and spawns in a bunch of enemies to stop them. It doesn't fit for Resident Evil like at all, even as a multiplayer thing.

But yes, I'd rather play as Nicholai any day over being an effeminate French guy going "AH, YOU PASS MY TR-AP, OUI? SEE HOW YOU LIKE THE BIG TRENCHCOAT MAN."

Mark Richard

Arcane
Nemesis was done horribly. Curiously, I noticed the title of this game is simply "Resident Evil 3" and no longer with the Nemesis subtitle and that's a good thing because Mr. X from RE2 felt more Nemesis than Nemesis did this whole game. Because this game lasts like 4-5 hours (this is with me playing it casually and wrestling with the Run/L3 button because my controller is half deceased), you go through the various stages of Nemesis almost rapidly and his default form doesn't even last that long. Like two or three encounters maybe and then it's gone and he becomes some flesh hound thing. In the original he's much more around and makes for a thrilling first playthrough due to how random it feels, in this game you can almost predict every time he'll appear because he's always associated with a cutscene. He never pops through a window when you're just chilling to get some gunpowder you left behind and starts chokeslamming you into the walls. God, they fucked Nemesis bad. Mr. X makes more an impression between these two games which feels fundamentally wrong. Back in the day, Nemesis made Mr. X feel like a bitch made jobber.
Scratch out the numbers on the Resident Evil 2 & 3 remakes, then give both games to a player who hasn't even heard of the series and see what happens. I suspect they might well mistake Resident Evil 2 for the latest sequel.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I have to rant again, because this is such a MINOR THING that I wish it didn't bother me as much as it did but it does.

So okay, Nemesis has this power where he can implant some parasite into zombies that makes them get tentacle heads and besides being an obvious beta test for an RE4 remake it's just so fucking stupid. Why is Nemesis, the biological weapon that was given one order and one order only: to KILL every STARS motherfucker in RC, gallivanting and shit to go convert zombies to Umbrellaism? He's supposed to be this unstoppable force that you can only put distance between because he'll chase you to the ends of the world, he's not taking a break to do something else. What's even more jarring is you see these tentaclehead zombies appear later on as well with no Nemesis in sight which makes you think, "wow, this guy has a life outside of trying to kill Jill Valentine?" Say what you will about Mr. X, but this big brute bastard stuck to his mission with admirable tenacity. He didn't go around high fiving zombies and giving them steroids, he pushed them out of the way to get to you. Every footstep you heard from him in the distance was meant for finding you and killing you.

It's just not right, Codex. It's not right. Nemesis deserves more.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Somebody should make a mod where Nemesis just stares at Jill awkwardly and then wanders off, thinking it got the wrong person.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
I have to rant again, because this is such a MINOR THING that I wish it didn't bother me as much as it did but it does.

So okay, Nemesis has this power where he can implant some parasite into zombies that makes them get tentacle heads and besides being an obvious beta test for an RE4 remake it's just so fucking stupid. Why is Nemesis, the biological weapon that was given one order and one order only: to KILL every STARS motherfucker in RC, gallivanting and shit to go convert zombies to Umbrellaism? He's supposed to be this unstoppable force that you can only put distance between because he'll chase you to the ends of the world, he's not taking a break to do something else. What's even more jarring is you see these tentaclehead zombies appear later on as well with no Nemesis in sight which makes you think, "wow, this guy has a life outside of trying to kill Jill Valentine?" Say what you will about Mr. X, but this big brute bastard stuck to his mission with admirable tenacity. He didn't go around high fiving zombies and giving them steroids, he pushed them out of the way to get to you. Every footstep you heard from him in the distance was meant for finding you and killing you.

It's just not right, Codex. It's not right. Nemesis deserves more.

Difficult for him to get excited about chasing some third rate cosplayer, so he finds other ways to amuse himself.

Ash

Arcane
Saw a lot of warning signs during the development of RE3 remake -Jill redesign, supposedly made by B team, heavy deviation from the original, no Mercenaries mode, greater action focus to name but a few- so seeing all these alleged shortcomings comes as little surprise. Given RE3 already lacked RE2's replayabiity provided by the scenario system, chopping out more areas from the game and apparently ditching the choices system just further weakens the overall package. Game's got all the hallmarks of a rushjob thrown out the door to clumsily try and capitalise on RE2 Remakes success and goodwill.

Nemesis should have been the relentless centerpiece that brings the product together; Mr X on steroids, something akin to the Alien in Alien Isolation - instead I'm hearing the game woefully underutilised him. How the fuck do you fuck this up?

I wouldn't say RE2 had greater replayability at all.

RE3 had:

Randomised pickups
Randomised enemy encounters
The Active Choice System which even resulted in branching level paths on a couple of occassions
Mercenaries (which unlocked stuff for the campaign)
10 different epilogues
Ranking system unlocks
Nemesis to take on (first playthrough you run like a little bitch), which rewards you with gun upgrades.
The gameplay is also generally better than RE2, which in itself draws you back for more replays.

Personally I played RE3 way more than RE2, approximately twice as much.

Nemesis should have been the relentless centerpiece that brings the product together; Mr X on steroids, something akin to the Alien in Alien Isolation

So...nemesis should have been like....Nemesis. As in the original. As in the fucking awesome AI character that was a relentless terminator, with better more developed AI than anything in these remakes, even if it did get caught on the scenery on occassion it doesn't make this statement any less true.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom