Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 3 Remake - Nemesis has a nose now!!!

Wunderbar

Arcane
RE4 doesn't need a remake. In fact none of RE games needed a remake, but at least i can see why they did RE2R and RE3R (transition these old games into casual-friendly third person shooter genre to increase series' fanbase). But why on earth would they remake RE4? It's already a third person shooter, it looks pretty enough, it is already on modern consoles, and it's a fucking good game.

How could remake even work?
Well they can just make a faithful recreation of RE4 with gameplay intact.
Or they can try and upgrade RE4 into even bigger action game with more locations, bigger enemy roster and improved combat.
Or they can turn RE4 into tense survival action with stricter inventory management, more dangerous monsters, item box and barricading as a proper mechanic (and not something you do only during prologue in village).

But most likely this will end up being like RE3R - shorter and blander. No way they'll keep it as lengthy and rich as original, because of their meme photogrammetry ballooning assets budget.

Last edited:
A RE4 remake is kind of funny to think about in the context of these remakes they've been doing. RE4 still pretty firmly has a foot in the RE games before it: it's still tank controls, and you still have to stand still to shot. But those things haven't been a thing since RE6, and I can't see a RE4 remake walking that stuff back when even these new remakes don't do that.

Likewise I'm not sure they lose this games dodge mechanic either. And if Code Veronica happens that games thing was being able to dual wield, which could be used to shoot two enemies at once. Basically I could see a RE4 remake that lets you do some of the same types of things as RE6, although probably slightly differently.

If a Resident Evil 4 remake worked in more stuff like the opening village area, which is the best part of the game, I'd be all for it. Original RE4 was also going to have stuff with HUNK, which is most likely why he's a character in The Mercenaries despite not appearing in the actual game like everyone else in that mode.

I'd be more interesting in a Resident Evil 5 remake, since the original version of that had all kinds of stuff that was dropped. Like I can remember seeing some magazine talking about the development of that game years ago. Originally it was going to have a kind of survival system where you'd have to duck into caves and stuff to get out of the blistering sun, you'd start hallucinating if it got too bad, and it had a sunburn system to tell you how bad it was. The first trailer for the game seems to be playing this system up, as it's basically just a whole lot of dark and bright areas, and showing Chris reacting to the sun. There was also originally going to more actions you could do too, and it seemed like there were going to be more enemies on screen that were more aggressive. Although the cut actions like being able to dodge and counter attacks seemed to find their way into RE6. The game also looked way more open in the first two trailers.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Will this guy get cut?

b2f8a093dc58758a6df7365b96e85688o.jpg

Terra

Cipher
Let's hope it is the Resi3 Remake team handling things and that they cut out the entire castle & boat segments of the game as well as removing the Mercenaries mode for good measure.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Apparently this games was developed by 4 studios (5 if you count Resistance).

Why the fuck would you need four studios to develop a 4 hours long single player game?! No wonder it is full of shitty on-rails setpiece moments, Capcom are in their RE6 phase again.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I hope they remake code veronica first, never played that. And then RE4. Looking forward to playing that as a remake.

While RE3 was abit short, it was a really cool and fun ride.

Thorakitai

Learned
So basically the remake of Resi 4 is going to be completely serious with none of the charming goofyness it had before.

It will be two thirds as long as the original, leon will almost never crack a joke or a one liner, ramon salazar will get the same treatment, and ashley will curse a lot. also she wears pants instead of a skirt and it will cause a big stupid controversy for a week. no mercenaries mode.

Fun.

Wunderbar

Arcane
So basically the remake of Resi 4 is going to be completely serious with none of the charming goofyness it had before.

It will be two thirds as long as the original, leon will almost never crack a joke or a one liner, ramon salazar will get the same treatment, and ashley will curse a lot. also she wears pants instead of a skirt and it will cause a big stupid controversy for a week. no mercenaries mode.

Fun.
Salazar will be a regular man, not a midget. And island will be replaced with NEST 3.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Dude, seriously. This whole debacle is just... awful. RE3 Nemesis was an unexpected classic. Literally, Capcom put who the fuck knows on it, and let them do what they wanted as long as it was a little whatever. This time around, despite this game being considered one of the more badass RE games out there, they shuffle it off to a BS B-team and we get an on-rails shitshow loaded with RE6 quicktime events.

Machocruz

Arcane
I rather liked in RE4 that you had to choose and commit to your shooting position. Yet I can't remember any moment in the following games where the ability to move while shooting held any significance. A solution looking for a problem.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Code Veronica is the obvious creative choice, but RE4 will bring in the moola. Also the layman might not get that Code Veronica is a main entry.

A horse of course

RE4 would be far less effort to remake if they were going to do it in the original, linear action-adventure style, but it would also cause a lot more blowback if they messed it up. Code Veronica is only valued by people that happened to grow up with it as their first Resident Evil, as it's too action-oriented and absurd for classic fans, and too old and clunky for the kind of imbeciles who like Resident Evil 4.

Karellen

Arcane
So having finished the remake, I have the feeling that I perhaps ought to be mad, but truth be told, I'm not. Specifically, where other people are comparing this game to the original RE3, I feel like I'm comparing it to the RE2 remake, and that puts it in a very different light. Now RE3 remake certainly bears only meager resemblance to the original, but it seems that in some ways that's a good thing at this point - it feels to me that it's not even trying to compete with the original and is just doing its own thing in the same setting. In comparison, the RE2 remake occupies a weird space where it contains substantial parts of the original, but in a weird, distorted fashion that invites comparisons which are largely unflattering to the remake. It's certainly commendable that the game tries to be a real survival horror game, and it'd be nice if other games follow the trend, but in practice I just kept seeing compromises and digressions from form to the point that I didn't actually enjoy playing the game very much.

It could very well be that I had low expectations, seeing as how the previous remake left me fairly cold, but whatever expectations I had, the RE3 remake exceeded them easily. Strictly in terms of mechanics, I think the game was a clear improvement on the RE2 remake (which, for all its faults, was already a much more successful attempt to replicate the feel of the earlier games in 3D shooter form than the Revelations games). The zombies being slightly less spongy was pleasant, and I liked that this extended to high-tier enemies too; in RE2M, the G-Adults and Lickers were so much easier to avoid than kill that basically the grenade launcher and magnum were weapons you'd only use in a boss fight. In the RE3 remake, the grenade launcher is a beast against Hunters and the like, but the ammunition is appropriately scarce, which I feel is actually more in the spirit of Resident Evil.

The maps were predictably small and linear, but the way I see it, this was the case in the RE2 remake as well after the police station. The early street section could certainly have been larger, and it's a pity that the developers wasted time on dumb scripted escape sequences, but even so I think that the second half of the RE3 remake was better than that of the RE2 remake (which also had pointless scripted escape sequences) - specifically, the Hospital was a respectable area that I thought was a great deal better than either the sewers or the laboratory in RE2M, and the boss fights (thanks to improved mobility) were quite fun, whereas I felt that the first two boss fights in the RE2 remake were quite tedious. I was also genuinely surprised by how Carlos was a likeable character in this version; the writing is still nothing to write home about, but there were points where I found it genuinely charming, whereas the RE2 remake story was just a bad version of the original story.

What can I say? At the end of the day, I feel like the RE3 remake was a decently entertaining little action horror game with a bit of survival horror at the beginning (which, arguably, was just what the original RE3 tried to be and wasn't very good at), whereas the RE2 remake was a noble but ultimately misguided attempt to paste proper survival horror on top of action shooter mechanics. The latter was certainly more ambitious, but the RE3 remake was, I feel, better for what it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom