Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 3 Remake - Nemesis has a nose now!!!

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
RE4 in the RE engine <3

It's a tempting thought, but I hope not...
One trend we can observe in all RE game that utilize the RE engine, specially in the remakes, is that they are also updating the writing of these games too a more serious and dark tone.
And that's something that wouldn't go well with RE4 given how campy and ridiculous that game is.

I’m sure it’ll be fine but that short turnaround time worries me a bit.
You're not the first to be apprehensive about that.

My first response is to remember that RE ENGINE was originally used for RE7, then DMC5, then RE2R, and now RE3R. So they made the engine, made a first person game with it, then made a goofy hack-and-slasher with it, then made a tense 3rd person corridor crawling action horror game, and now another tense 3rd person corridor crawling action horror game. In that light it's not surprising that development time would be shorter, as (for good or ill) they don't have to figure out how to do anything new with the engine.

I'm not saying they didn't outsource anything, but there are other obvious reasons for a reduced delay in development.

I wouldn't really worry about the timetable unless Capcom comes out and says this just recently started development. Rumor (I don't think it was confirmed) was this was being developed by the RE7 team, and that wrap in October of 2016. And given that that Special Developer Message has one of the RE7 producers in it, (and he wasn't on RE2) that seems to have been true. So they could have been working on this for a few years.

That article about M-Two say they were formed in 2017 and have been helping with RE3. And that studio is former Capcom and Platinum people.

Tehdagah

Arcane
RE4 in the RE engine <3

It's a tempting thought, but I hope not...
One trend we can observe in all RE game that utilize the RE engine, specially in the remakes, is that they are also updating the writing of these games too a more serious and dark tone.
And that's something that wouldn't go well with RE4 given how campy and ridiculous that game is.
Also the enemy design is not like RE4 and I don't think there will be arena fights.

Drakortha

Liturgist
I would have liked to see a bunch of new zombie models. Even the ones we had in RE2 Remake were stretched a bit thin throughout the game.

Ash

Arcane
Not particularly hopeful. I'll take it if I acquire it for free like I did with RE2Remake, or leave it.

Nemesis redesign is a worse sight than RE2R Claire. Take one of the coolest monster designs in video game history and make it representative of those afflicted by down syndrome. Because they're the only minority group left to unknowingly join the SJW vidja game narrative I suppose. One can only hope his artificial intelligence is not also redesigned in the same vein...

...the original Nemesis AI was considerably better than RE2 remake Mr.X, it's fucking embarrassing.

Zer0wing

Cipher
You joke but I'd buy the shit out of it.
RE7 is perfect remake if we talk about gameplay.
Jill looks like Mila Jovovich.
...not really
qaciste.png

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Take one of the coolest monster designs in video game history and make it representative of those afflicted by down syndrome. Because they're the only minority group left to unknowingly join the SJW vidja game narrative

...the original Nemesis AI was considerably better than RE2 remake Mr.X, it's fucking embarrassing.
Congrats, two enourmous bullshit in one post.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Take one of the coolest monster designs in video game history and make it representative of those afflicted by down syndrome. Because they're the only minority group left to unknowingly join the SJW vidja game narrative

Congrats, two enourmous bullshit in one post.

Yeah.

Did Nemesis really have good AI? He showed up at relatively fixed scripted points (that could be affected slightly by the order you did things) and in combat mostly just alternated between walking slowly towards you and sprinting at you. He'd also routinely get stuck on objects in the background if you got him in a tight area.

I love the originals as well, but let's not pretend everything was perfect.

Drakortha

Liturgist
I would have liked to see a bunch of new zombie models. Even the ones we had in RE2 Remake were stretched a bit thin throughout the game.
If you were stopping to admire their dimples and haircuts, you weren't playing on hard enough difficulty.

I'm just particular about details such as that. Seeing the same model repeatedly was fine for 1997 but seeing it's 2019 (2020 when this is out) with games that are 50GB+ in size I would have hope for more variation in zombie appearances as a technical achievement, as well as for immershun.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you were stopping to admire their dimples and haircuts, you weren't playing on hard enough difficulty.

I'm just particular about details such as that. Seeing the same model repeatedly was fine for 1997 but seeing it's 2019 (2020 when this is out) with games that are 50GB+ in size I would have hope for more variation in zombie appearances as a technical achievement, as well as for immershun.

There will be a hell of a lot of asset reuse in this, but that's to be expected with the short release date.

Tehdagah

Arcane
^ fan of RE6.
One of the best TPS combat systems ever. Imagine throwing it all away for a VR tech demo with 5 enemies and pretending it's a progress.

He's right about some things but this a pretty lame review overall. Basically his main criticism is that aside of the combat segments the game isn't tight, but at the same time he paints the worst moments of the game as the standard for these non-combat segments. In fact these segments are a mixed bag, some of them are terrible, some are decent but most of them are just average. Most definitely aren't "hell" and "frustrating" like he says. He also argues that even if the game was pure combat it wouldn't be enough, because games need to have slower moments. This is plainly wrong, if a game has an excellent combat system and a huge enemy diversity, then the more combat, the better.

Wall of text incoming:

- There are a lot of QTEs in the prologue, the middle of Leon's last chapter (which is based on the prologue) and the encounter against the tyrant in the ice cave. The rest of the game is just like RE4 and RE5. He also complains about some QTEs not making sense, not because of the gameplay but because of the presentation (knife fight is good but searching for car key isn't, even if both are reflex minigames). Btw that meme QTE video is mostly about the player mashing the buttons to escape from grabs, which is something that exists in almost every RE game.

- A lot of talk about atmosphere, immersion, you save the dog from a trap whatever I don't care

- Constantly mocks Call of Duty and explosions, a truly sophisticated gamer

- In fact the game doesn't require too much rolling or dodging, it's more about setting combos to finish enemies. Sliding is far more important than dodging because it can be used offensively to stun enemies.

- Defenders of the game are totally right when they said the game would be better as a string of arena fights. Even the non-combat segments of RE4 were never as good as the combat segments, they were mostly okayish but disposable filler. These games shine the most during the arena setpieces. Give me more monsters to fight!

- He says defenders enjoy spamming gifs of the melee finishers to exemplify how good the combat system is and I do agree they are being lazy. Although these melee finishers don't simply look cool, they all have different timing and hitboxes.

- He agrees that Mercenaries is the best portion of the game but barely talks about it, really? Guess it lacks slower moments.

- The game has zero issues with lack of ammo. There's no reason to waste bullets in basic zombies and Javos, in fact it's even possible to instakill some mutated Javos with a counter attack or stomping on their heads. There's even a skill that increases the ammo drop rate. Worth pointing that in the video he shoots a lot of basic enemies and tries to kill bloodshots (the red tank zombies) with a shotgun when these are the enemies with the easiest counter attacks, the reason he has problems with ammo is clear. Ironic because later in the video he mocks defenders who argue that "you hate RE6 cuz you don't know how to play it :<" lol

- The game does have an official online manual and the things that aren't taught by Capcom can be learned by playing with other people, although he ignored the multiplayer (more on this later). I learned some cool tricks by simply playing online.

- The segments where you have to find keys are good not because of the key-searching but because enemies spawn in different areas. Ada's portion in the ship is one of the best segments in the game because it's the only moment where Javos are mixed with the regenerators. Some of these levels also have Agent Hunt enabled, making them more unpredictable.

- He agrees that Chris has the best campaign due to the least amount of filler but then says it gets boring fast because it's just too much combat (lol). He also argues that the mutations get old fast because they are introduced at the start of the campaign (pacing talk, comparison with RE4), ignoring the fact the game keeps adding new mutations and chrysalide creatures. There are far more mutations in this game than RE4 or RE5 and some Javos can have two mutations simultaneously. He also argues that they are boring because it takes too much time to kill them (wrong, certain melee attacks or explosives can instakill mutated Javos). Every time a Javo mutates it makes me happy.

- The running segments are fun, they require fast thinking. Chris can't slip into the water, that bridge setpiece ends if the players are slow (the helicopter shoots the bridge)

- He's right that the automatic camera in some portions is stupid. The pac-stealth segments are boring and the snowmobile chase is terrible.

- He ignored the multiplayer in a multiplayer game. He criticizes the helicopter boss when one player is supposed to distract the Javos while the other player focus on the helicopter (and he tries to use cover against explosive ammo lol). He doesn't know the point of intersections. They were made to be 4-players segments. Sadly today it's hard to find intersections and this would be a better argument than "I don't know the point of them". Also, during Jake/Sherry intersection it's possible to shoot that helicopter from below if you stay on a higher platform.

- Cover system indeed sucked but there are very few moments in the whole game where taking cover is needed. Cover is more useful to regen stamina. Automatic cover was a bad idea though, should have had a dedicated button.

- Complains about the melee system targeting the wrong targets while facing a box. This was a very dunkey moment. The melee system is a miracle that rarely fails considering the amount of intertwined context sensitive actions. More dunkey moments: complaining about bullshit while letting himself being hit by snipers multiple times (moving sideways would be enough), letting himself being hit by an avalanche, using taunts on purpose while trying to mount a vehicle (taunts require two buttons, mounting that vehicle, one).

- The weapon upgrade system of RE4 existed mostly to give the player a sense of progress. It consisted of upgrading weapons, selling them and buying better weapons, pretty basic linear stuff. Yes it worked better in the New Game + but so does the skill system in RE6. The skill system works better for a game like RE6 because the skill points are shared between all campaigns and modes. There's also a skill that reduces recoil but he wasn't using it (dunkey moment again).

- No talk about DLC. Shame, Onslaught mode is great.

- No talk about competitive in-game events made by Capcom in the past (RE.net was created because of RE6).

- Mixing herbs is extremely fast, you don't need to use the combo button, simply opening the inventory and pressing the action button twice will mix herbs, pressing it again put them in the inventory. It's nearly instantaneous and I can't think of a RE game with faster herb mixing in real time. It's true that the game doesn't have the ideal real time inventory system but using a mouse makes things better (mouse wheel). RE5 inventory only had 4 shortcuts for items, the rest required manual access (but it worked better on PC too) and mixing herbs was slower. RE7 inventory was worse.

- For someone that hates "bullshit segments" he surely seems to be very enthusiastic about the old RE games. Lol at Revelations 1, the sequel was a huge improvement but the first one is just... (RE7 was directed the by the same guy btw)

tl;dr: talk about immersion and atmosphere, acting like dunkey, "lol dudebro explosions" and some right points but a lot of wrong points. Also, let's pretend he's 100% right. What about making a good RE game with these mechanics? Instead Capcom threw them away in the trash to be never seen again, because fans said RE6 was evil Cowadoody.

More like:
- Leon campaign: decent aside of subchapter 1-1 (big walking segment) and middle of chapter 5 (prologue recap)
- Chris campaign: great
- Jake campaign: decent aside of chapter 2 and the cheap tank boss
- Ada campaign: more of the same but mostly decent (chapter 2 has too much puzzles and few combat and her intersections segments are the weakest in the game)
- Mercenaries: excellent and the best thing about Resident Evil
- Agent Hunt: funny troll mode but some monsters are clunky
- Onslaught DLC: great
- Predator DLC: decent
- Siege DLC: decent
- Survivors DLC: broken shit

(most DLCs today have empty matchmaking. It's necessary to find a dedicated group to play them)

The game would have been benefited with a few extra months in development and less filler, but it still is mostly good. Sometimes I still boot the game to play Mercenaries or a random session.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom