Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City is actually not terrible.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Is it a masterpiece? No. But, damn, it's pretty entertaining. I picked this game up for less than $15, and I definitely feel like I got my money's worth.

As a fan of the earlier Resident Evil titles, it's nice to be able to go back to Raccoon City, especially to familiar locations like the police station. It's cool to finally be able to walk around them in full 3-D without fixed camera angles.

There is some nice atmosphere going on, too. I particularly like the level where you have to fight your way across a foggy graveyard. Very spooky.

There's also a surprising amount of depth to the combat. For example, you often find yourself in three-way battles between your team, other mercenaries, and zombies. If you wound an enemy mercenary, the zombies will get excited by the flowing blood and swarm the injured enemy. Also, you can do stuff like grab a zombie and use it as a meat shield to protect you from enemy fire. The basic gameplay is way better than, say, Resident Evil 5 (or RE4, for that matter).

Also, the pseudo-RPG elements are kind of addicting. I found myself always wanting to do one more mission so I could get enough XP to pick up a new weapon or upgrade one of my special abilities.

Are there downsides to REORC? Of course.

For one thing, the base game is short (only about 4-6 hours long), but there seems to be a lot of replayability due to the six different characters to choose from. There's also DLC (this being Capcom, you knew that there would be) which seems to double the number of missions available.

Another problem is that the AI of your teammates and your enemies is pathetic. Luckily, you can revive your teammates at will (like in Rainbow Six Vegas), so it's not too much of a hindrance if they croak. The stupidity of the enemy AI is a little more disappointing. I mean, I expect zombies to not be too bright but when supposedly highly trained soldiers act just as stupidly, it takes a bit of the shine off your victories.

Also, while the controls are better than pretty much any other Resident Evil game, they're still not as fluid as they could be. I particularly found it annoying that REORC uses a cover system where you automatically stick yourself to a wall if you get close to it. I'd much rather have that kind of thing controlled by having a button specifically assigned to it.

As I said, though, I'm pretty happy with the game, especially for what I paid for it. If you're a fan of third-person shooters and/or the early Resident Evil titles, it's probably worth checking out.

Tehdagah

Arcane
"Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City is actually not terrible."

Yeah, just meh. But fun for 2 or 3 hours.

Revelations is way worse.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
"Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City is actually not terrible."

Yeah, just meh. But fun for 2 or 3 hours.

Revelations is way worse.
Fuck you. Fuck you you piece of shit, fucking retard! How can you be so fucking stupid! :rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:

Khm, my apologies. Sorry. What I was going to say is... I don't agree with you. Revelations IMO is the best RE since RE4. It tries to be a survival horror game, and it is quite good at it. Operations Raccoon City is a shitty, boring cover shooter, without any redeeming quality.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Revelations is like RE4/5/6... if you take away everything that made these games good. Enemy diversity is pathetically low and they are bullet-sponges.

"It tries to be a survival horror game, and it is quite good at it."

Enjoy your generic, repetitive dark rooms. Revelations is the modern RE game without any redeeming qualities and one of the worst action games released in the past years.

And the best RE since RE4 is RE6.

Absalom

Unsurprisingly, J_C likes a shit game.

Also Operation Racoon City was fun enough renting it for MP with RL BRO's but I wouldnt play the godawful SP

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Unsurprisingly, J_C likes a shit game.

Also Operation Racoon City was fun enough renting it for MP with RL BRO's but I wouldnt play the godawful SP

He has an invisible dumbfuck tag. Maybe.

Arcks

Educated
...And the best RE since RE4 is RE6.

Huh, I hadn't started up revelations yet, but I guess it isn't that awful then. Since you actually like RE6. Which means you have no taste in anything.

Tehdagah

Arcane
...And the best RE since RE4 is RE6.

Huh, I hadn't started up revelations yet, but I guess it isn't that awful then. Since you actually like RE6. Which means you have no taste in anything.
Revelations and RE6 are similar in pacing (both are linear action games). The difference is: RE6 has satisfying gameplay mechanics, a HUGE enemy diversity (and they aren't bullet sponges) and great multiplayer modes.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Revelations is like RE4/5/6... if you take away everything that made these games good. Enemy diversity is pathetically low and they are bullet-sponges.

Enjoy your generic, repetitive dark rooms. Revelations is the modern RE game without any redeeming qualities and one of the worst action games released in the past years.

Thank you for invalidating everything you have said about RE.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

Resident Evil peaked and died with Code Veronica and REmake. Everything that came after is complete and utter shit that destroyed an entire genre.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Thank you for invalidating everything you have said about RE.
If you think that Revelations is better, whatever.
This doesn't change the fact that it's about killing the same 6-7 bullet-sponges for hours.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane

Resident Evil peaked and died with Code Veronica and REmake. Everything that came after is complete and utter shit that destroyed an entire genre.
Actually RE peaked when it didn't exist.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Operation Racoon City is just mediocre to the bone. Nothing it's very good, it's just bland cover shooter in the RE universe. The AI is stupid, the shooting gets really boring, and the ending is just kicking in the balls all of the fans of the game.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

Actually RE peaked when it didn't exist.
Edgy.jpg

Arcks

Educated
Revelations and RE6 are similar in pacing (both are linear action games). The difference is: RE6 has satisfying gameplay mechanics, a HUGE enemy diversity (and they aren't bullet sponges) and great multiplayer modes.

Yeah, too bad 1/3rd of the game is filled up with zombies which capcom manages to fuck up somehow. Add in shitty level design, repeating that shitty level design through every campaign, shitty, impactless, weapons (against zombies, anyway. They didn't manage to fuck up ganados, at least, well except for the FUCKING GUNS THANKS RE5), fucking michael bay sequences everywhere, forced coop (that funnily enough is only reason RE5&RE6 are even barely playable) and the fucking perk system. I'm sure there is still some things I have forgotten, but I'm actually thankful for that. RE6 is like playing through re4 that only has military base portions, only shittier. Sure, it sticks in slight improvements in combat and I kinda liked that they balanced whole melee system, even if they managed to actually make it even more abusable.

Also, stupid enemy names.

edit. fucking quotes

Ebonsword

Arcane
Several folks have referred to RE:ORC as a "cover shooter", and, yes, it does have a cover system, but I wouldn't consider it a cover shooter in the same way that something like Rainbow Six Vegas is.

In fact, trying to stay in cover will get you quickly killed against certain enemies (like Hunters) because they will just run up and melee you to shreds.

Revelations IMO is the best RE since RE4. It tries to be a survival horror game, and it is quite good at it.

Hate to post YT links by the same author in quick sucession, but you can't be serious:

SURE LOOKS LIKE A GOOD SURVIVAL HORROR GAME GUYS.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Revelations IMO is the best RE since RE4. It tries to be a survival horror game, and it is quite good at it.

Hate to post YT links by the same author in quick sucession, but you can't be serious:

Get your fucking trolling video out of there. Like these kind of videos prove anything. I could probably put together a bug infested trolling video about Torment witch some retarded voiceovers. Would that prove anything?

Last edited:

Get your fucking trolling video out of there. Like these kind of videos prove anything. I could probably put together a bug infested trolling video about Torment witch some retarded voiceovers. Would that prove anything?

Killing a pack of fast, melee-based enemies by walking around like a retard and a spamming a knife attack? Really?

Edit: I should qualify that. What qualities does it have that make it a good survival horror game? RE 5 & 6 weren't up to much when I played them and this looks little different.

Last edited:

Dr Tomo

Learned
So the question I have regarding the franchise, is it salvageable? Never played any more RE games since the first 2 ages ago and I heard Capcom make the claim that the old formula doesn't work and that is why they are forced to be less survival focused and more action packed.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Add in shitty level design, repeating that shitty level design through every campaign,
The level design is pretty solid (RE4 still has the best level design in the series, though).
shitty, impactless, weapons (against zombies, anyway. They didn't manage to fuck up ganados, at least, well except for the FUCKING GUNS THANKS RE5),
You need to shoot the zombies until you breaks their body parts. Ex: shoot their heads to reveal their brains or shoot their knees until they break. Or you can simply use the quickshot if you want impact.

Also, RE4 already had ganados with guns.
fucking michael bay sequences everywhere
Except for the most part.
forced coop (that funnily enough is only reason RE5&RE6 are even barely playable)
Not forced. RE6 is designed as a co-op game.

Lol, "barely playable". Co-op is a bless from heaven (altrought I agree that the co-op in RE5 was kinda tacked-on).
and the fucking perk system.
Balanced the online matchs.
I'm sure there is still some things I have forgotten, but I'm actually thankful for that. RE6 is like playing through re4 that only has military base portions, only shittier. Sure, it sticks in slight improvements in combat and I kinda liked that they balanced whole melee system, even if they managed to actually make it even more abusable.
Actually the melee in RE4/RE5 is far easy to abuse since you don't have the stamina system to punish you.

And the military base portion of RE4 is the best part of the game :smug:

Last edited:

Ebonsword

Arcane
Play the 3rd and Code Veronica if you want something similar like the ones that you've played.

Resident Evil Zero was pretty decent, too.

As for whether the series is salvageable--definitely. They really need to do a reboot, though. After 17 years of games, there's way too much backstory, now.

Which is one of the things I liked about RE:ORC--by returning to the Raccoon City setting of the second & third games, they avoided a lot of the convoluted story stuff that got introduced later. Plus, they got back to the core gameplay concept of shooting zombies in the face with a variety of military hardware.

Arcks

Educated
The level design is pretty solid (RE4 still has the best level design in the series, though).

Yeah, if you love narrow corridors. Also forgot to mention that game loves these narrow corridors so much it makes you play through same ones several times.

Also, RE4 already had ganados with guns.

Besides crossbows and occasionally minigun wielding special zombie at the shittiest parts of the game, where?

Except for the most part.

I played through the game week ago. Stop fucking lying.

Balanced the online matchs.

Fuck you and fuck your fucking online matches. Resident evils are single-player games.

And the military base portion of RE4 is the best part of the game :smug:

I've never ignored person because their opinions on games. But you're really testing me here. Althought, it had regenerators, which were kinda terrifying, until you learned their weakness. Capcom even managed to fuck them up in RE6.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom