Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident RPG Codex Collectable Expert?

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I have a minor collection of c64 rpgs and whatnot, as well as assorted errata. Anyplace here where one can ask about relative rarity or worth of some items? It appears Luzor is mentioned often as the resident collector, but are there others? There is a lot I have, but there is one thing I just don't know what to do with and it's driving me insane. Thanks.

A user named cat

Your best bet is searching individual titles on eBay to see what they're going for.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
They're all worthless. Just give them to the first random stranger who asks for them.

Also, why is this in Site Feedback?

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
They're all worthless. Just give them to the first random stranger who asks for them.

Also, why is this in Site Feedback?
I'll be honest: I didn't know where else to ask. I'm wondering if there is an area for stuff like this, but it doesn't seem to fall anywhere.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
So i bought a box of stuff from an auction at a convention (yep, I go to one or two. No, I don't dress up.) In it was this shirt that doesn't appear to have been worn.

DarkSunFront.jpg

Says "I survived Dark Sun" on the chest.

DarkSunback.jpg

Says "Dark Sun Shattered Lands Computer Product" on the back. In the lower right corner is has "1992" and I think a copyright symbol, but whatever. Well, I can't bring myself to sell it, and I've never worn it, but I can't keep the thing sitting around if it's not really worth anything. My kids or mice will destroy it.

I have a ton of rpgs in boxes and whatnot, but I can't really get a handle on this if it carries any value. Any help?

Luzur

Good Sir
I have a minor collection of c64 rpgs and whatnot, as well as assorted errata. Anyplace here where one can ask about relative rarity or worth of some items? It appears Luzor is mentioned often as the resident collector, but are there others? There is a lot I have, but there is one thing I just don't know what to do with and it's driving me insane. Thanks.

LuzUr

also pics.

Linden

Arcane
I don't know anything about the monetary value of C64 RPGs but your collection sounds pretty cool. Pics please!

As a general (useless) rule, stuff is worth exactly as much as people are willing to pay. I'm 100 % sure there are collectors who would pay a pretty penny for that shirt if it's in mint condition.

Luzur

Good Sir
well, usually i dont collect clothing merchandize for games (i have Red Alert and Faxandu t-shirts, but the Red Alert one i got with the game and the Faxandu one i won in a Nintendo-Klubben contest as a kid.) but now this, this is SSI...

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut

LuzUr

also pics.
Whoops. Ok, thanks for the correction.

Luzur

Good Sir

LuzUr

also pics.
Whoops. Ok, thanks for the correction.

so, is it the shirt you want info on or those other RPG games you mentioned?

from what i have seen during the years cloth merchandize isnt in the astronomical level of prices (well if you dont happen to have a one-of-a-kind Akalabeth t-shirt once worn by Garriott) but you can get a good buck for em.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Ok, fair enough. I paid $11 for the box and if I sell it for $20, well, I might as well wear it or something. Thanks.

Well, what the hell, since I have your ear, I'll ask. I went to a computer store going out of business. There I bought a NIB Planescape: Torment. Not the Game of the Year, the original big box, shrink wrapped and everything. I've never seen one on Ebay before, but magically, today is the first day I've seen one on E-bay. Its priced at $191 with quite a few people watching it. Do you think PST will peak around the release of PST2 or just keep appreciating? Thanks.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ok, fair enough. I paid $11 for the box and if I sell it for $20, well, I might as well wear it or something. Thanks.

Well, what the hell, since I have your ear, I'll ask. I went to a computer store going out of business. There I bought a NIB Planescape: Torment. Not the Game of the Year, the original big box, shrink wrapped and everything. I've never seen one on Ebay before, but magically, today is the first day I've seen one on E-bay. Its priced at $191 with quite a few people watching it. Do you think PST will peak around the release of PST2 or just keep appreciating? Thanks.
If you want maximum value for that one I'd wait until T:ToN is closer to release. Also, put it up on ebay as that is the place many people pay insane amounts of money for old games. Trust me as I've bought and sold MANY games on ebay since 1999. Any other games from that computer store.... :hmmm:

edit: I might be interested in that Dark Sun shirt myself....

A user named cat

There I bought a NIB Planescape: Torment. Not the Game of the Year, the original big box, shrink wrapped and everything. I've never seen one on Ebay before, but magically, today is the first day I've seen one on E-bay. Its priced at $191 with quite a few people watching it. Do you think PST will peak around the release of PST2 or just keep appreciating? Thanks.
That'll probably be worth more the longer you hold onto it, especially NIB.

I regrettably sold my boxed copy a couple years back when I needed spare money, the original four-disc version, and used it still went for $70 on eBay. Since the only one produced now is a cheapo DVD version, yours will only be worth more as the years goes on. I'd sit on it, far past PST2's release.

Luzur

Good Sir

well, for the shirt i'd say go for Ebay (between 20-35 USD would be in the ok level, though you can set the price you want)or sell it extremely overpriced to Mindx, and the game, hmmm...hold it until PST2 is out, but dont ebay it right away at release day, everyone and their cow will prob do that, hold it a couple of months or so.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Thanks for the advice. I may just move on that game when PST2 is out. Either sell it as soon as I can, or wait 10 years for the price to go up another $100 or so. Though recent auctions like this Ultima 1 and this Legend of Blacksilver got me thinking that things might be getting a little crazy (neither are me, I never sell anything.)

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Also, put it up on ebay as that is the place many people pay insane amounts of money for old games. Trust me as I've bought and sold MANY games on ebay since 1999. Any other games from that computer store.... :hmmm:

Thanks for the advice. It was about 10 years ago, and at that store, I bought 5x Fallout 2 NIB and the PST NIB ($5 each.) I don't really see them as collectors items but this was before Steam and GOG. I just thought they would fade off and I'd like to keep a copy. Of course, about a week later a huge 9" once-in-a-lifetime rainstorm destroyed 3 copies of FO2, which is something that I just did not expect. I still have the dried out manuals, but the rest is a bust.
edit: I might be interested in that Dark Sun shirt myself....
Well, send me a private message. The shirt was never worn but was washed by my wife when I brought it back (which annoyed me to no end.) Hey, the damn thing is 21 years old, show some respect, woman!

Luzur

Good Sir
Thanks for the advice. I may just move on that game when PST2 is out. Either sell it as soon as I can, or wait 10 years for the price to go up another $100 or so. Though recent auctions like this Ultima 1 and this Legend of Blacksilver got me thinking that things might be getting a little crazy (neither are me, I never sell anything.)

heh, wow, i got my Ultima for around 30 bucks some 10 years ago.

times they 'r a changin.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut

times they 'r a changin.
I never understand this. it's not even "ultima 1" its a re-release of Ultima 1 that came out after Ultima 4 (I seem to recall)... Maybe a sign that people with just too much money are starting to buy old rpgs? I don't know...

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I am never selling my PST box, few hundred euros is not worth it. Though game boxes are in absurd prices at the moment. 20-30 euros for Amiga games...

Some RPG collector was selling his collection, I felt bad for even bidding on it (Darklands, TOEE, Betrayal at Krondor etc.) In the end the prices were so high that I just couldn't keep going anyway.

Oh if only I would've had this level of disposable income 10-15 years ago...

Luzur

Good Sir

times they 'r a changin.
I never understand this. it's not even "ultima 1" its a re-release of Ultima 1 that came out after Ultima 4 (I seem to recall)... Maybe a sign that people with just too much money are starting to buy old rpgs? I don't know...

my guess is people mistake that one for the first release, usually sellers dont bother to mention that little detail.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom