Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Resonance of Fate 4K/HD - Out now on PC

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Yeah, jumping is useful in many situations and you can also slightly extend your hero run by jumping just when it's about to end. That usually let's you get an extra shot or some extra charges in.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
it's good to know they put more thought into some of the things i criticized than i gave them credit for.

btw, how does one target specific locations? does it have to do with how you're positioned in relation to the enemy, i.e. whether your bullet stream will be hitting them in the front, by their sides, or their back?

Reinhardt

Arcane
Also you can just smackdown airborne enemy few times even if you jump near the end of run.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
does it have to do with how you're positioned in relation to the enemy, i.e. whether your bullet stream will be hitting them in the front, by their sides, or their back?

Yes, this is how you do it. It's easiest to do while hero running since enemies will usually start turning to put their shields towards you when you aim at them. They can do this during a hero run too but you move faster than them during a hero run so it doesn't matter as much.

Reinhardt

Arcane
It doesn't matters at the start but when weapon customization really opens you will need to destroy specific monster parts to collect drop for crafting.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i remember the tutorial saying that if you kill an enemy Leader first, before killing any others, you will get enemy-part drops just the same as if you had done it manually.

something to keep in mind for when farming body part drops i suppose.

EDIT: Also, somberlain, what you refer to as their shields, maybe that's what "breaks" when using handguns? HP Break or whatever? You mentioned you get a bezel back when you do it, and that's also what you get (a bezel) when you hp break an enemy's health via direct "over-damage".

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Shield breaking and "HP break" are two different things though both recover your bezels. HP breakage can happen even if all enemy shields are intact, just by blasting the enemy enough with direct damage. This will also stun enemies which is very useful since you can use it to prevent some powerful enemies from attacking.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
so, an enemy has shielding on each "side", and these shields absorb damage until breaking, furthermore when a specific "side" is attacked the damage which does go through the shield of that side will affect that enemy's body part (from that side).

if enough damage is done to an enemy's shield it will break, but does it affect how much damage gets thru then to the enemy, or are "shields" basically just extra health bars and not damage reducers?

when you attack an enemy side/body part do these have their own HP bars or do the shields function as "hp bars" for enemy sides/body parts?

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Shields are just "extra health bars" that protect the enemy. If you manage to shoot between the shields, you deal damage directly to the enemy and can kill them without having to destroy any shields at all. Destroying shields gives you a bezel back but if you don't need that, there is no need to destroy shields if you don't have to. Firing through the cracks is basically a shortcut, allowing you to kill the enemy faster.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
If i got it right, you start with your machine gun user. The targets HP bar gets blue. You follow with pistols to make this damage permanent.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
basically:

- machine guns (or any other weapon that does scratch dmg) has high accuracy and short charge times along with medium weight (allows for more customization of the weapon) and much higher rate of fire, basically it all translates into SMGs inflicting a metric ton of damage, except that it's scratch damage.

- scratch damage heals itself as turns progress, however the more scratch dmg inflicted the slower it will heal itself, meaning that you don't have to worry about the enemy healing itself too quickly after doing some fancy SMG trickshooting with hallow points or whatever.

now here's where i'm not clear:

- i know that as soon as you inflict even 1 single point of Direct Damage (pistols, grenades, etc) then all of the sustained Scratch damage automatically becomes Direct damage as well...

...however, is there any specific benefit to intentionally using hero gauge (bezels) in order to maximize scratch-dmg, aside from it being simply easier to land?

Do you get some sort of dmg "bonus" if your direct-damage lands on top of a bigger piled-on amount of scratch-dmg?

Reinhardt

Arcane
You need hero runs to charge your weapon and activate weapon skills multiple times each turn with each hero. When you level your weapon - hg, smg and grenades - it unlocks or upgrades associated weapon skills. So for a chance to activate skill unlocked at smg lvl 4 you need to charge to 4 before firing. If you have 8 charges before firing it activates both lvl 4 and lvl 8 and so on.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
I felt the same kind of gratitude for a great combat system, when I was experiencing Final Fantasy Tactics for the first time.

Cannon Colossus: Damn, does it tastefully rape me to shreds. My two characters are around level 25 with guns at level 12. Am I seriously underleveled or how did you bring that thing down ?

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Cannon Colossus: Damn, does it tastefully rape me to shreds. My two characters are around level 25 with guns at level 12. Am I seriously underleveled or how did you bring that thing down ?

If you have two pistol users and one SMG user, you can try to keep it stunned or interrupted by constantly blasting it with pistols or grenades for direct damage. This causes "HP break" which stuns enemies and every break makes subsequent breaks even easier.

You can also try to kill it fast by hero running behind it and blasting it with SMG from behind where it has no armor (I'm not completely sure though). Most enemies in this game, bosses included, don't really have a ton of HP once you get past their shields. Assuming your weapon level is decent, fully charged SMG from point blank range will usually turn even bosses' HP bars mostly or completely blue, allowing for a quick kill with a pistol.

If all else fails, use armor-piercing bullets. I don't remember specifically where you get them but they are rewards from some quests and can maybe be bought from the arena. AP bullets go straight through all the shields and will even hit other enemies behind your target, so one fully charged SMG attack will often fully scratch the enemy's shields and body both, regardless of which angle you fire from. It's almost like cheating tbh.

Jinn

Arcane
Alright, if there is anyone playing the PC version and still having trouble with audio and FPS stuttering during scene transition on LOW texture setting, here's the simple fix that I should have tried already, but just did for the first time.

On Windows 10:
Open the game until you hit title screen, control alt delete, task manager, details tab, find the Resonance of Fate application, right click, set priority to "High"

I feel like a huge idiot for not trying this earlier. Unfortunately it doesn't fix the problem on high texture setting, but it's fine as the 4k textures really don't change much at all. Hope this helps anyone out.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
Thanks Reini. I took him down last night. After trying it 10 (?) times. It only took me 7000 credits. Shooting it in the back did the trick.

an intriguing concept. unfortunately it feels like there's a lot of grind involved, directions are nowhere to be found (i didn't look hard, i admit) and it's all ooooooh sooooooo messy because of consolitis (it's just the worst game to be played with a limited controller) and of the real time rarely marries well with hybrid with turns systems.
but it's intriguing. after disgaea 5, another game of civ4, soulcalibro and some other tens of games i'll most probably go back to it.

oscar

Arcane
Couple of hours in and having a ball. Gun and outfit customisation is a ball. Graphics are technically so-so.. but the art direction is very solid and visually entertaining. Chad protagonist by jRPG standards. Fight against that crab robot thing at the power station took a couple of reloads but, as might be expected, the prologue random encounters were a breeze (took me a while to figure out you can move the hex things along the map by holding down CTRL).

Very entertaining combat system.. Kind of like Valkyra Chronicles meets The Matrix (also reminds me a little bit of the little-known game Lost Dimension).

Miner 2049er

Scholar
Isn't Lost Dimension that game with the traitor in the party mechanic ?

Trivia: Do you know what other game has that mechanic ?
Demons Age. Yeah, that shitty game that doesn't even get its title right. Or did they want to reveal to us that even demons are mortal ?
Some few days ago I was trying to play it. It's a D&D game that doesn't let you create your own character. After gaining a level the game selects the feats for you.
Do you know what other D&D game didn't let you choose your feats ?
Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor. It was marvelous compared to Demons Age. PoR:RoMD was a poor D&D game, but when you forget about your expectations you're having for a D&D game, it was halfway enjoyable. I mean back in the day we didn't even had NWN or ToEE.

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
I think it takes a few hours to click because it really is one-of-a-kind but now that I'm a few hours in I think I have a solid handle on it (difficulty varies quite a bit, some you'd have to actively try to lose others require a bit of creativity and thinking). Still haven't used a tri-attack outside of the tutorial though..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom