Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Resonance of Fate 4K/HD - Out now on PC

Deflowerer

Arcane
You haven't used a tri-attack outside of the tutorial? Wtf?

oscar

Arcane
Keyboard is fine. But make sure to set the references to keyboard in the options menu as their controller by default.

Solid Snail

Learned
Repost from the thread I opened in the wrong section:

So I just started this game, but I'm having a superhard time with it.
I did all the tutorials in the arena, I thought I understood how the game works and until now I did it ok. I'm now in chapter 1 where I need to deliver a rose in a cemetary or something like that, you need to pass a serie of areas connected by colors (purple, blue, yellow etc).
I'm stuck in the part where there are some barrels right in front of you, one giant monster barrel on your right and some fat gangsters on top of a structure. The fact is, they butcher me in this section. If I play safe and I avoid using hero actions I can kill the barrell enemies easily, but by the time I do that the fat gangsters put me in danger status. If I try to go up on the structure it's the same, before I arrive they manage to deplete my shield bar and again danger status.

I bought no upgrade because they don't feel good enough, I'm trying to fight random encoutners around but I won't increase my level, apparently I'm level 5 and despite fighint like 20 fights nobody levelled up. The barrell monster enemy is like level 11 in comparison.

I'd appreciate any tip on this game before I toss my PS3 out of the window.

I need to say I think I understood the battle system better now, considering I reached chapter 2, upgraded my weapons with the 1000 gold parts. What is vital in this game, when you do hero's actions you need to jump in order to have much time for the attack ring to fill up, a thing I was totally missing.

Jinn

Arcane
Yep, the game has one of the most unique RPG battle systems ever made. Absolutely love it.

Don't forget to train your characters in different guns and weapons as soon as you have access to an extra one. You'll hit a leveling wall at some point if you don't. It's kind of weird because you have to kind of just rotate them around the three members until you get a few extra.

deuxhero

Arcane
Fuck, two arena tiers a chapter was doable. Now they've dumped 10 on me at once. I need the money and hex drops, but fuck this is tedious.

Should I really be approaching random fights with 2 SMGs and one pistol user to maximize scratch damage then finish them off? Is there a penalty to skipping turns other than losing resonance?

Jinn

Arcane
Should I really be approaching random fights with 2 SMGs and one pistol user to maximize scratch damage then finish them off? Is there a penalty to skipping turns other than losing resonance?

I always felt having two pistols is better because then you can still deal damage even if scratch damage isn't applied. Just seems more versatile to me in general. Of course there are situations where two SMG can be more favorable, but two pistols seems superior in general.

As far as I know, the only penalty for skipping turns is losing resonance.

Adon

Arcane
I feel the opposite. It's easier to clear out multiple enemies with one HG and two SMGs since maxing out scratch damage allows you to defeat enemies with just one hit. Never thought the trade-off of having two HGs was worth it since they don't do that much damage by themselves even though it has its advantages of breaking armor relatively fast. But overall, I think both approaches are equally viable.

Jinn

Arcane
I feel the opposite. It's easier to clear out multiple enemies with one HG and two SMGs since maxing out scratch damage allows you to defeat enemies with just one hit. Never thought the trade-off of having two HGs was worth it since they don't do that much damage by themselves even though it has its advantages of breaking armor relatively fast. But overall, I think both approaches are equally viable.

Well, the most positive aspect of having two handguns on the field is that a lot of weaker enemies can be taken out without scratch damage, so if you get too spread out, or if the map demands that you get spread out, you can always restore bezels in emergency situations by targeting weaker foes. Having two handguns when you're doing your resonance runs is also extremely beneficial - especially against larger enemies - because then you can shave off that scratch damage and just lay into them with the pistols. But yeah, it depends on the type of encounters and enemies you're facing off against the most in any given area.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Well, the most positive aspect of having two handguns on the field is that a lot of weaker enemies can be taken out without scratch damage, so if you get too spread out, or if the map demands that you get spread out, you can always restore bezels in emergency situations by targeting weaker foes. Having two handguns when you're doing your resonance runs is also extremely beneficial - especially against larger enemies - because then you can shave off that scratch damage and just lay into them with the pistols. But yeah, it depends on the type of encounters and enemies you're facing off against the most in any given area.
:thumbsup:

Solid Snail

Learned
Yep, the game has one of the most unique RPG battle systems ever made. Absolutely love it.

Don't forget to train your characters in different guns and weapons as soon as you have access to an extra one. You'll hit a leveling wall at some point if you don't. It's kind of weird because you have to kind of just rotate them around the three members until you get a few extra.
I have a problem with this: I can swap the two pistols with no problem, but the machinegun can be equipped only by Sephyr, dunno why.

Jinn

Arcane
I have a problem with this: I can swap the two pistols with no problem, but the machinegun can be equipped only by Sephyr, dunno why.

Weird. As long as you have four different weapons total, you should be able to swap out Zephyr's without issue.

Solid Snail

Learned

Weird. As long as you have four different weapons total, you should be able to swap out Zephyr's without issue.
I have three weapons total, the dafault the game gives you considering I'm still in chapter 2. Why do I need 4 total?

Jinn

Arcane
I have three weapons total, the dafault the game gives you considering I'm still in chapter 2. Why do I need 4 total?

Because you can't swap weapons that are equipped, and your characters can't have unequipped weapon slots. In order for the cross-training of firearms to begin, you need one excessive gun to be passed around. You should be able to get one in chapter 3 and it'll start making sense.

Solid Snail

Learned

Because you can't swap weapons that are equipped, and your characters can't have unequipped weapon slots. In order for the cross-training of firearms to begin, you need one excessive gun to be passed around. You should be able to get one in chapter 3 and it'll start making sense.
I have a question. I just completed chapter 3, but is there a point on buying new clothes? Apparently they don't provide defensive bonus or any kind of bonus at all, but I received a message I unlocked type B clothes, what does that mean?

Adon

Arcane
I still get bummed at how much of a stepping stone I think this game should've been, but wasn't. One of the few JRPGs where your main weapon are guns, a crazy amount of customization to your weapons, customizable characters, a fun, unorthodox, and sorta complex battle system, and a story that isn't about saving the world, and more about the world and the characters themselves.

Kind of shows how stagnant JRPGs have been for the most part.

Last edited:

MpuMngwana

Arbiter

I know I'm probably late, but in case someone in the future stumbles upon this thread:
You can, in fact, unequip weapons. While in the equip screen, select your weapon slot and press F (that's the default key, and I don't know what would the controller equivalent be). The slot will change to "barehanded" and you will be able to give the desired weapon to someone else.

Solid Snail

Learned
So I have another question: those clothes you can buy or accessories you find around, I read they have a purpose, they should be protective equipment. But, for the life of me, I can't figure out what they do because there is no mention of stats in any of them. Am I stupid or I'm missing something here? And If clothes are just visuals, why on some guides I saw "equip a fire protective vest" or stuff like that? How do I get a fire protective vest? Also the same guides suggest to grind for money in chapter 6 so you can purchase more clothes, if they are only visuals what's even the point?

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The clothes you can buy and change at the clothing store in town are purely visual. Accessories are equipment with gameplay effects. Flame-Resistant Vest, for example, is an accessory you equip in the equipment menu.

Solid Snail

Learned
The clothes you can buy and change at the clothing store in town are purely visual. Accessories are equipment with gameplay effects. Flame-Resistant Vest, for example, is an accessory you equip in the equipment menu.
Ah ok, so I have two slots per character and that's it.
Anyway I think there's too much grinding in this game to simply have a less painfull experience. Now I need to grind for common hexes in order to clear a side in chapter 4, if I don't clear it now the quest disappear.
I think I understood how the game works more or less, beat the chapter 4 main mission on my first try (even if I got lucky: the idol had like 50 HP left but I managed to kill the boss within the first turn so he couldn't attack it), but you really need to level up and do pretty much everything, if you just stick to the story you'll have a hard time.

Solid Snail

Learned
So uhu, sorry for the double post but I can't edit the old one. I have a problem. Just beat the chapter 5 boss, now I have the option to go in chapter 6, but I still have one missing quest, A Small Errand, which I can't complete. To access Basilica I need like a greenish hex, but it's not the type I got from enemies. I have zero units of that, and I need it in order to progress. There must be a way to get it since if I go in chapter 6 the side will disappear, I tried to look on google but I found nothing.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
So uhu, sorry for the double post but I can't edit the old one. I have a problem. Just beat the chapter 5 boss, now I have the option to go in chapter 6, but I still have one missing quest, A Small Errand, which I can't complete. To access Basilica I need like a greenish hex, but it's not the type I got from enemies. I have zero units of that, and I need it in order to progress. There must be a way to get it since if I go in chapter 6 the side will disappear, I tried to look on google but I found nothing.

It's been a while since I played but I think the guild building where you get the quests has a bestiary that shows enemy data and what items they drop. You should be able to check there which enemy drops said hexes. If not, consult the gamefaqs guides

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps3/959317-resonance-of-fate/faqs/60401

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps3/959317-resonance-of-fate/faqs/60149

Solid Snail

Learned
I reached chapter 7 and the game seems to be much more difficult despite having the same enemies of other chapters. I was able to wipe them fast, but now they won't go down so easily anymore...but I'm keeping my weapons upgraded. Dunno if I should continue going on, it seems with every chapter the game turns harder: first in chapter 6 it took me a character out, now she is back, like 10 levels under other characters, but the whole group feels like garbage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom