Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Resonance of Fate 4K/HD - Out now on PC

Jinn

Arcane
I reached chapter 7 and the game seems to be much more difficult despite having the same enemies of other chapters. I was able to wipe them fast, but now they won't go down so easily anymore...but I'm keeping my weapons upgraded. Dunno if I should continue going on, it seems with every chapter the game turns harder: first in chapter 6 it took me a character out, now she is back, like 10 levels under other characters, but the whole group feels like garbage.

I really have not experienced the amount of trouble that you have. The game continuously ramps up the challenge to be sure, and normal enemies get stronger after each chapter, but everything has been at my disposal to surmount these moments - from game mechanics, to weapon upgrades, to leveling up, to exploiting certain enemy weaknesses, to going off and exploring elsewhere until I'm strong enough to face a challenge, etc.

If you're not adapting to the progression at this point, maybe the game just isn't for you?

deuxhero

Arcane
Are you passing the MP5 around so everyone gets a good SMG level (and Vashryon gets a good pistol level)? Are you using grenades to get some extra levels off max scratch damaged foes? Did you put enough attachments on your guns to make them into unholy abominations?

Solid Snail

Learned
Are you passing the MP5 around so everyone gets a good SMG level (and Vashryon gets a good pistol level)? Are you using grenades to get some extra levels off max scratch damaged foes? Did you put enough attachments on your guns to make them into unholy abominations?
I think the answer is yes to all questions but the last one, I have the upgrades attached but it's nothing like some videos I saw. The fact is the merchants don't sell the attachments I need, aka the ones you can use to attack other attachments.

Solid Snail

Learned
Cranktown merchants have better stuff.
I upgrade my weapons the best way I could with the elements I had, now it's a bit better. But...two days and I'm trying to farm with hexes because I took the wrong exit to floor 11 and burned the hexes I had. Wish there was a way to just buy the white common hexes.

deuxhero

Arcane
If you've got the colored hexes for it (note Rainy Bridge limits what type of hexes will work), connect the increased drop rate terminal to the arena and fight there (have you been using the arena?). Note that you can use rest stations to start putting colored hexes anywhere.

Solid Snail

Learned
Yu
If you've got the colored hexes for it (note Rainy Bridge limits what type of hexes will work), connect the increased drop rate terminal to the arena and fight there (have you been using the arena?). Note that you can use rest stations to start putting colored hexes anywhere.
p I'm using the arena, I'm currently in chapter 7 and characters are around level 42, Leanne is like 10 levels behind.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Catching up with levels is pretty easy, usually.

Keep in mind that the weapon xp you get is straight up based on the damage you deal, so that goes up drastically as your firepower and enemy hp does. So if, for example, you're halfway through the game and you've never used grenades with Leanne and her grenade level is still 1. Then you fight some tough mid-game enemy, have Vashyron/Zephyr fully scratch it with SMGs and then Leanne cashes all that damage with a grenade, she's going to get like 15 levels instantly.

Solid Snail

Learned
Catching up with levels is pretty easy, usually.

Keep in mind that the weapon xp you get is straight up based on the damage you deal, so that goes up drastically as your firepower and enemy hp does. So if, for example, you're halfway through the game and you've never used grenades with Leanne and her grenade level is still 1. Then you fight some tough mid-game enemy, have Vashyron/Zephyr fully scratch it with SMGs and then Leanne cashes all that damage with a grenade, she's going to get like 15 levels instantly.
I finallty managed to beat the boss of chapter 7, he was very hard to me because he kept spawning minions, so I just nuked him to death by using grenades. Dunno, I'm putting a lot of effort on playing this game, I thought I got decent but from time to time the game totally fucks me up with stuff like this. And the strange thing is, the more it fucks me up the more I want to beat it.

Solid Snail

Learned
I'm now in chapter 11, did the solo fight with Zephyr but this game has like random spikes of difficulty, like one chapter is brain dead easy, the chapter before a nightmare.
The whole party is around level 63 now, and I started to do the linking thing in order to increase the exp ratio of the arena but run out of hexes.

Usually in other jrpgs you need to grind to be overpowered, in this game you need to grind to be on par with your enemies.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I'm now in chapter 11, did the solo fight with Zephyr but this game has like random spikes of difficulty, like one chapter is brain dead easy, the chapter before a nightmare.
The whole party is around level 63 now, and I started to do the linking thing in order to increase the exp ratio of the arena but run out of hexes.

Usually in other jrpgs you need to grind to be overpowered, in this game you need to grind to be on par with your enemies.

This game definitely has a steep learning curve and the mechanics are pretty confusing for a newcomer but it's not really that difficult once you git gud. Now, I might be wrong but I have a suspicion that the reason you're having trouble is that either your battle tactics, or more likely, your gun customization is very unoptimal.

Can you post a screenshot of what your guns look like?

Solid Snail

Learned

This game definitely has a steep learning curve and the mechanics are pretty confusing for a newcomer but it's not really that difficult once you git gud. Now, I might be wrong but I have a suspicion that the reason you're having trouble is that either your battle tactics, or more likely, your gun customization is very unoptimal.

Can you post a screenshot of what your guns look like?
Iìm playing on PS3, so taking a screenshot means I need to phone the screen of my TV and the result would be better. I think my problem is the gun customization, because my battle strategy is ok (I think), I understood how the game works, but the problem is I deal very little damage even with two machineguns, it takes ages to kill some bosses (like the giant one in...chapter 9? Can't remember).

I saw some videos with players using the same tactic but dealing so much more damage, but again to get some gun parts you need to farmi ingredients, there's not an easy way to get rid of the farm.

Solid Snail

Learned
I think I'm near the end, I need to do a couple of sides in chapter 15 and I can pass to the final chapter.
I read there's an optional dungeon, but it's very hard and people suggest to be on level 200 to beat it, I'm level 94. How hard is that? Do I really need level 200 characters? It seems insane considering I need to grind 100 levels just to try it out.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Nah, you don't need to be level 200 to go there. It is the most difficult location in the game, as it should as a "secret" bonus dungeon, but you can go there as soon as you're able. You need to defeat the first two bosses in the final main story dungeon first.

The enemies in the bonus dungeon have a ton of hp which translates to a lot of xp for you so you're gonna gain a ton of levels there, so you might be around level 200 when you finish it.

Solid Snail

Learned
Nah, you don't need to be level 200 to go there. It is the most difficult location in the game, as it should as a "secret" bonus dungeon, but you can go there as soon as you're able. You need to defeat the first two bosses in the final main story dungeon first.

The enemies in the bonus dungeon have a ton of hp which translates to a lot of xp for you so you're gonna gain a ton of levels there, so you might be around level 200 when you finish it.
Does it take much time to beat it? Consider I need to improve my guns, I'm still using the first two submachine guns you got in the game plus one pistol per character, but I'm not having trouble at the moment (upgrading other weapons require custom mods I have not and I'm really tired to farm at the moment).

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Does it take much time to beat it? Consider I need to improve my guns, I'm still using the first two submachine guns you got in the game plus one pistol per character, but I'm not having trouble at the moment (upgrading other weapons require custom mods I have not and I'm really tired to farm at the moment).

The starting guns are fine. Actually, I think the Colt M1911 looking handgun that Vashyron starts with is the best normal handgun in the game. In the bonus dungeon, you'll get golden super guns that are much better than the normal guns in every way so you'll definitely want to start using those, but the bonus dungeon aside, any of the normal guns will do for the rest of the game. Different guns have mostly their own strengths and weaknesses instead of late game guns being better. One exception is the handgun that Leanne starts with since it's pretty weak, but aside from that, all guns are perfectly fine.

The bonus dungeon isn't that long but it can take a while if you can't deal with the enemies effectively since they are very strong. You should level up your SMG skills so you get your Full Scratch Damage skill activation rate as high as possible, since that's the closest thing to instant kill abilities the game has, and is pretty essential in the bonus dungeon.

Adon

Arcane
FYI you're at the point where you should be able to unlock Rank 45 in the Arena if you haven't already. You can easily grind those turrets and gain a massive amount of EXP. I can't remember what the prerequisites for unlocking ranks was other than progressing through the story, but I think you have to do at least 3 of each rank before being able to move on to the next one.

From what I remember Neverland doesn't take that long, but I was pretty much overleveled when I went through it. Only thing to really watch out for are the fairies and the extra amount of damage that enemies do because of fire and freezing rounds.

Last edited:

Solid Snail

Learned
Well, unlocked Neverland and got the related trophy to clear all Basel hexes, which was nice. I think for now I'll just complete the game, leaving it installed on my PS3 so I can eventually return on it to beat Neverland.
I'm really having fun with it, the plot is also interesting, sadly I needed to look online to understand what was going on because for like 10 chapters out of 16 absolutely nothing happens and you do silly missions for silly characters. Even now that I read a summary there are confusing parts, like I still can't explain the intro sequence.

Solid Snail

Learned
like I still can't explain the intro sequence.

Which one?
The one with
Vashiron and the priest you kill as Zephyr going to kill Zephyr, I think it's a flashback since Zephyr has long hair but still the whole thing was very confusing. In the game Leanne told she forgives Zephyr for killing people, so I suppose he did something bad in the past, but the whole thing is confusing.

Duraframe300

Arcane
like I still can't explain the intro sequence.

Which one?
The one with
Vashiron and the priest you kill as Zephyr going to kill Zephyr, I think it's a flashback since Zephyr has long hair but still the whole thing was very confusing. In the game Leanne told she forgives Zephyr for killing people, so I suppose he did something bad in the past, but the whole thing is confusing.

Oh thats just how Vashiron and Zephyr met. Just like the scene afterwards showed how they met Leanne.

As for Zephyr
the experiments while successful made him a murderous rampaging mental wreck to the point where he was just looking to die. After Vashiron putting multiple bullets in his head still didn’t do the job he said *Fuck it* and started following vash

ebPD8PePfC

Savant
Finished half the chapters. I Like half of the game, and hate the other half.

Good:
- Combat is interesting, with interesting mechanics. It also feels like the first version of a much better system. It's odd that this game came out two years after Valkyre Chronicels. VC does many similar things that could have been copied, at least when it comes to making the mechanics clear to the player.
- The shields system is very good.
- Tri attacks are a really great approach to formation attacks seen in other games. I wish they had time to do more with this system.
- Customizing guns is really really fun. I wish it was integrated with better crafting in the style of Arcanum (you actively go looking for specific items rather than grind ten Metal Dongles).

Bad:
- Not sure why critical mode is in the game, it's almost always an insta-lose when you get it anyway. Why have a dead end as a game mechanic? Why not keep playing normally until you run out of hp?
- Tri attacks stop halfway when trying to go through terrain. Why not prevent the player from doing it ahead of time, considering the poor camera controls?
- Losing 1000 hp means you lose 1 Bezel gauge... why 1000? Why not the entire hp bar?

- Arena is a complete slog. It's clearly there to ramp up playing time instead of making it a better game.
- Moving around the overworld takes too long. The special elevators that are composed of two levels interlinked by a loading screen should be removed.
- the tutorials in general are bad. Even when they're well written the game shows them at the wrong time.
- the combat tutorials are poorly made, but I like that they're available from the start, so the players can tackle them at their leisure. You don't need advanced techniques to start the game, but it's nice to have access to them from the get go rather than being spoon fed them over ten hours of gameplay like many other AAA games do.
- There's way too much trash combat, compounded by re spawning enemies. The game would have been way better with hand placed encounters.
- The maps have the potential to impact the combat, but they rarely do because of the copy-pasted encounter design. 90% of the fights are in an empty rectangle with five enemies placed at random.
- Because of the previous two things, going through a series of fights feels really repetitive. The system is good, but the fights don't really use it.
- I like the general hexes system used in the overworld, but in practice you get can stuck without white hexes, which means you can't continue the main quest. Grinding for half an hour gave me one white hex... so yeah, poor system. You have to grind to continue playing, and you might get bad RNG and stay stuck. Regardless, I don't care for grinding to begin with, so that's poor design as far as I'm concerned. Maybe it should only be used for colored hexes.
- The writing is just bad. Standard anime dialogues with proper nouns peppered in-between. Shame the game doesn't focus on what the intro promises, which is hunting monsters with cool guns in Gothic environments. At least than the writing wouldn't have been as grating.

The game as a whole isn't really worth playing, it has too many bad parts that waste players' time with not enough to compensate. That said, I enjoyed it because the battle system is original and fun, so if you're ok with flawed games that do one thing well than you might end up liking it as well. I think the best option is to play it until you you find yourself grinding identical fights, and then use an end game save to try out the different combat challenges in the arena. The combat is the best part, so trying it out in the arena without all the outside jank is probably the best option. The gun customization is great, so also check it out.
I hope the game gets sequel, at least a mechanical sequel if that makes sense. The combat system should be reused in some other game.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
I agree with everything except that it's not worth playing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom