Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Restricted Area?

Looks like Restricted Area, the "cyberpunk action RPG," will be released at the end of this month. Anyone else sorta-interested in this? I can't see it as a day-one purchase, but maybe after a price drop or two I'd give it a try.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I've been curious about it for a while now. I'm not sure how the ranged/gun combat will be in this, but it can't be as bad as Harbinger's was. At least, let's hope not. Hopefully there will be a balance between ranged and melee as well.

Deathboy

Liturgist
I use to play p'n'p cyber punk years ago, is this game "influenced" by, or CRPG version of?

EEVIAC

Erudite
Sadly, no. Shadowrun was the PnP cyberpunk influence the developers cited. Oddly enough they've combined the hacker and rigger into the one class. You can take a look at the other characters here.

obediah

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
I've been curious about it for a while now. I'm not sure how the ranged/gun combat will be in this, but it can't be as bad as Harbinger's was. At least, let's hope not. Hopefully there will be a balance between ranged and melee as well.

Have any games pulled this off? A ranged system system sucks as soon as you nerf rifle ranges to 30' or introduce stupid visibility limitation.. If you un-nerf guns then you've got a pretty big balance problem between ranged and melee. If you're heavy sci-fi you can make up crazy shields and teleporters to get around this, otherwise you tend to see a lot of 15x15 rooms. :)

Just curious if anyone had an example of this done well?

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah. Besides, the isometric perspective already is a visibility limitation.
I don't really see the problem here. Diablo 2 had ranged and melee combat as well, and I didn't see a big issue.

Grifman

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:

I played the demo and I thought ranged weapons worked fine. Your automatic weapons will fire as long as you depress your mouse button and you just have to aim in the general area of the enemy, so you don't have to specifically target them. Just press the mouse key and move your mouse in whatever direction you want to fire in or over the enemy and the bullets will follow. It's great for clearing a dark room - just spray bullets into the room and you'll probably hit something, making it mad so it will run towards you - or hit some explosive barrels that alwasy seem to fill these places and take them out :). It's also great for quickly and efficiently taking out the mobs that attack you. It's a pretty cool concept, I don't remember seeing it before as most games seem to make you actually target something before firing.

That said, what was the problem with Harbinger? I don't remember having a problem in any way with ranged weapons, but it's been a while.

Fez

Erudite
JA2 let you spray bullets in a pattern of your choice too. It could be used for flushing people out of bushes, or keeping them pinned.

Grifman

Liturgist
Fez said:
JA2 let you spray bullets in a pattern of your choice too. It could be used for flushing people out of bushes, or keeping them pinned.

Yes, but I was thinking RT not TB.

EEVIAC

Erudite
Grifman said:
That said, what was the problem with Harbinger?

From Saint's Harbinger review :

• You inch up to a room, activate a few idling monsters, shoot them, run away a bit, shoot them some more, and repeat until you've won. Of course, with the Culibine, you can shoot them until they get closer, then use the Radial attack.

The problem with ranged in real time is that you need to have independant control of movement and firing to make it work and make it fun. If developers really want to make RPG's with action, they need to start looking at real action games like Smash TV and Crusader.

EEVIAC said:
Grifman said:
That said, what was the problem with Harbinger?

From Saint's Harbinger review :

• You inch up to a room, activate a few idling monsters, shoot them, run away a bit, shoot them some more, and repeat until you've won. Of course, with the Culibine, you can shoot them until they get closer, then use the Radial attack.

The problem with ranged in real time is that you need to have independant control of movement and firing to make it work and make it fun. If developers really want to make RPG's with action, they need to start looking at real action games like Smash TV and Crusader.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you do that in Diablo 2?

Anyway, tried the demo tonite and wasn't too impressed. I doubt I'll be buying this, ever.

EEVIAC

Erudite
What can you do in Diablo 2 - move independantly or scam enemies one by one? I find Diablo/2's ranged combat just as shit as any other. There were other viable options though, something which Harbinger lacked.

EEVIAC said:
What can you do in Diablo 2 - move independantly or scam enemies one by one? I find Diablo/2's ranged combat just as shit as any other. There were other viable options though, something which Harbinger lacked.
Scam enemies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom