Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Return of teh Jedi: JE Sawyer joins Obsidian

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: J.E. Sawyer; Neverwinter Nights 2; Obsidian Entertainment

According to this <a href=http://www.mistresslair.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8415>post at Mistress' Lair</a>, JE Sawyer, the beloved son of Black Isle and teh intarnet forums, will join <a href=http://www.obsidianent.com/>Obsidian</a> next week where he would apply his mad design skillz on NWN2: Seven Sorrows.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Friday is actually my last day at Midway.
<br>
<i>So is gaunlet done then Sawyer?</i> Nope.
<br>
I am going to work for Obsidian, starting Monday.
<br>
<i>Can you tell us what you'll be working on, or is it a MYSTARY (sry, couldn't resist)?</i>
<br>
Neverwinter Nights 2.</blockquote><a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=10100>Coincidentally</a>, Romero left Midway 3 weeks ago, and if Gauntlet is still unfinished, we shall assume it sucks horribly. Anyway, good luck to JE, it would be nice to see him with Feargus & Co where he belongs
<br>
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Role-Player</b>

Taoreich

Liturgist
Does this mean we won't be subjected to Guantlet-related news posts anymore? My working assumption has been that these were included due to the assocation with Sir Sawyer

Spazmo

Erudite
I thought working with Romero on a Gauntlet remake was a fittingly tragic end. Going to work at Obsidian could mean he'll finally get to make a decent game--or it could end up even more tragic.

Shevek

Arcane
The poor guy probably has to deal with rpg fans again and that can't make him very happy.

Surlent

Liturgist
Hahhahaaaa excellent ! Hope to see the guy ranting again at Obsdian forums.

Jora

Arcane
Surlent said:
Hahhahaaaa excellent ! Hope to see the guy ranting again at Obsdian forums.
And leaking the first NWN2 screenshots in his signature.

Great news!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Good for him. I guess he got over his adversion to RPGs now... unless he's working on Obsidian's Space Shooter arcade game...

DemonKing

Arcane
I was actually surprised he didn't end up there quicker - perhaps poncing around with Romero on a Gauntlet clone convinced him he would be better off with Bio/BIS II (take your pick).

Kuato

Liturgist
Volourn said:
Good for him. I guess he got over his adversion to RPGs now... unless he's working on Obsidian's Space Shooter arcade game...

Obsidian is making a Space shooter kick ass! I bet it will be right up there with Gears of War, I wonder if they got something big like the Star Wars license for some new kind of action rpg game.

Deacdo

Liturgist
jiujitsu said:
Yea, this is kick ass news. Obsidian is turning into Black Isle 2.
Except for the games. :?

I'm still waiting for even a hint of an RPG of the quality and depth of Fallout or even Torment from them. All I see are sequels to Bioware franchises (and NWN2 is the weakest of the lot).

Taoreich

Liturgist
Deacdo said:
(and NWN2 is the weakest of the lot).

Why? The largest complaint with NWN was the story, an area in which Obsidian's better known contributors are reputed to exel. Assuming that they are under no obligation to continue any of the BioWare stories, what makes NWN2 so much less desireable than any other D&D FR game? unless you're just not a fan of the realms, in which case I get where you're coming from.

tilting_msh

Formerly Judas
Patron
Codex 2012
^ Besides the point the game hasn't even come out yet, so to suggest the NWN2 is the "weakest" is pretty fucking retarded, considering he's never even played it.

Spazmo

Erudite
The design was horrid in NWN, yes, but it's also that the engine sucks, the interface sucks, the combat sucks, and so on.

Taoreich

Liturgist
Spazmo said:
The design was horrid in NWN, yes, but it's also that the engine sucks, the interface sucks, the combat sucks, and so on.

Not to divert you from chewing old soup, but, with the exception of the engine, do they not have the opportunity to address all of these to a degree?

Actually, never mind. Back to the celebrations related to J.E. Sawyer's inevitable return to Feargus' roost.

Deacdo

Liturgist
Judas said:
^ Besides the point the game hasn't even come out yet, so to suggest the NWN2 is the "weakest" is pretty fucking retarded, considering he's never even played it.
Actually, I meant they're making a sequel to the weakest Bioware RPG. I wasn't very clear.

As for how they'll be able to improve on NWN, it doesn't sound like they'll have much opportunity to (and *that's* what makes it so much less desirable than any other D&D game). If Obsidian was creating an "original" D&D game I'd be somewhat interested. I'd be even more interested if Atari wasn't involved.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom