Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Return of the Obra Dinn

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by Makabb, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2019 at 12:02 PM
    • Brofist x 3
    • Participation Award x 1
    • meh x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • PIRACY IS WRONG x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Jenkem Cipher Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    been waiting for this for years

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Tiospo Learned

Tiospo
    Just saw the newest trailer. I like the sound of the voice acting, and the visual improvements to the ship and it's crew are always nice to see. Though the release date of 1818 confuses me. Are you just saying 2018 in-universe, or...?

^ Top  
  4. Jenkem Cipher Patron

Jenkem

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
  6. Boleskine Arcane

Boleskine
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...he-obra-dinn-review-prepare-to-be-transported

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. taxalot Gone forever. Patron

taxalot
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    I had _NEVER_ heard of this. Holy shit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Well, holy shit.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  9. Jenkem Cipher Patron

Jenkem
    not sure if I want to grab this today since I have a ton of shit to play already (not that that's stopped me before) but it looks good and is reviewing well

^ Top  
  10. BlackGoat Arbiter

BlackGoat
    Played a couple hours of this earlier. It's really good. Had to force myself to stop so I could actually get some work done today.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Wait, it's out? How did I miss that?

It had been vaporware for years, and I even made a post about it earlier this year.

Possible contender for GOTY 2018 judging by the developer and reviews.

EDIT: Awesome, it's out on GOG as well. D2P for me. :D

EDIT 2: Managed to squeeze in the purchase before midnight, so it's a :d1p: for me.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    I thought this had been out for some time. Was it just in early access?

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    There had been 'demos' out for a while, showcasing only parts of the game.

Also, slight correction: I thought I'd made a post about this game in the Current Year. My bad. It was over two years ago.

• Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    A game about being an insurance dude? I cannot avoid this.

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  15. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Just bought the game as a gesture of good faith and my staunch support for originality. Not sure when I'm gonna find the time for a binge-playthrough though.

^ Top  
  16. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    Ah, that must be it.

^ Top  
  17. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Gave it a 'short try', ended up playing it for three hours. It's not as good a game as Papers, Please and is not a contender for GOTY, but it's still a solid murder mystery and a weird enough game to warrant a playthrough.

Its greatest strength is how much immersion and atmosphere it can squeeze into its bizarre presentation. First you get the audio (and subtitles) on a black screen for every death you're 'investigating', and then you get thrown into the freeze-framed moment of death with freedom of mobility, so it's like watching a abstract low-budget version of The Matrix.

Its greatest weakness is that it doesn't appear to have any replayability, unless you're the kind of person who can forget a murder mystery and return to it again some years down the line.

So far I've successfully logged nine fates, as in identified the person in question, how they died and by who (if relevant). I may have identified one or two more, but the game only confirms the fates in sets of three.

Identifying the crew is by far the hardest, and most enjoyable, part of the game. Blue Checkmarks will probably go ballistic when I say that I'm having the best luck identifying people by their gender, their race and their skin color. There's a single black man on the ship, and the crew roster has one man hailing from Sierra Leone, so that should be a slam dunk... but the game does everything it can to push back against this, stating that I haven't gathered enough clues. Uh-huh.

I do have one question where I'd like a clue: One of the easiest fates to identify is the Formosa guard who's executed by firing squad, as his name is spoken out loud and everything. However, what's troubling me is putting down exactly how he died. Obviously he was shot... but there are four men in the firing squad, plus their commanding officer and finally the Captain himself who reads out the sentence. Any idea on who of these I declare as the killer?

A few helpful pointers (non-spoilerish) to keep in mind:

# Check every corner of the ship. You would be surprised how some crew members met their final fate in a remote corner of the ship (like the ship's artist). Also, don't forget to look up.

# Some of the deaths are not related to humans, or corpses. In one case you'll look out a window, and at least one other involves a quadruped.

# The UI is kinda strange is that it sometimes only explains itself after you've done some action. Don't be afraid to experiment.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  18. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Had another go at it. I was grossly wrong in thinking that there was only one black man aboard the ship. That's what I like about this game, it keeps springing surprises.

15 fates identified now, but I'm only accounting for 57 of the crew and the guy in the rowboat is telling me to haul ass because a storm's a-comin. No way, I'm sticking around.

And here's the bad news - this game is a Walking Simulator. Where it differs from most walking simulators is that you actually have to do something here, even though most of it involves sitting with a notepad and solving logic puzzles. In this way Obra Dinn is kinda like Myst.

I've gotten a good feel for the 'plot' of the game now, but a sizeable chunk is still missing, and there's an entire chapter locked away for some reason.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Boleskine Arcane

Boleskine
    https://www.pcgamer.com/return-of-the-obra-dinn-review/

^ Top  
  20. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    And finished. Nailed all 60 fates.

At around the 38 fates-mark I started to run into trouble, and resorted to brute-forcing some answers. Like the three Russians. I could determine their fates except for their names, so I just switched those around until it clicked. Then I did the same with the four Chinese topmen and finally the five English seamen/topmen. The English ones took me a bloody hour. After that it was just a case of finishing up the last fates until I hit 58, when I got a message saying I could not do more aboard the Obra Dinn.

The remaining two fates are resolved in a kind of epilogue (the mysteriously locked Chapter 8) that sadly doesn't have the shock reveal factor I was anticipating, but at least it wraps up the story.

The game logged my playtime as 6 hours, 47 minutes, so it's not a long game. But WOW is it a fun ride, especially for puzzler fans.

Return of the Obra Dinn is a meticulously master-crafted puzzle game, in an era where getting it done fast and sloppy is the de facto standard. Its unique graphical style, brilliant audio work and planned-out-to-the-last-detail level of quality makes this short ride a memorable one. Obviously only puzzle fans and wannabe-detectives need apply here for the gameplay. I'd give this game a 8.5-rating for puzzle lovers, but only a 7 for those that are not.

A few helpful hints:

# Don't forget who sent you the book and stopwatch.

# Some identities can be determined by catching people in their quarters... but keep in mind that 'quarters' here is a loosely-defined term.

# Accents and grammar are a BIG thing to keep an ear out for. You'll want to play this one with headphones.

# It's OK to profile crew members along stereotypical lines for races, ethnicity and gender, but don't go too far with it or you'll screw up.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Obatzda Novice

Obatzda
    I thoroughly enjoyed the game as well. I've been looking forward to it for quite some time ever since I played the demo. It's the video game version of one of those books of logic mysteries. Very tightly designed and the visuals are incredibly atmospheric. Felt similarly that Chapter 8 was perhaps a little bit lacking.

Since the game is clearly carefully designed down to slightest detail, it seems unlikely that much actual brute forcing is required. I never ran into that issue with the Russians or the English Seamen, but I did end up having to do so with the Chinese Topmen. I'd be curious to know if anyone found out a way to deduce their names.

There's a little detail about the Russians:
    Show Spoiler

Only one of the Russians is a Topman and based on where he is in certain scenes you can identify him pretty straightforwardly which makes it a 50/50 between the remaining two

The English Seamen are a bit more involved:
    Show Spoiler

When the Danish guy is killed his murderer mentions that it's revenge for his brother with the rope. This refers back to the incident in the first chapter were some one is crushed by cargo which locks those two in to being the Peters brothers. Brennan is called out to after the midshipman is stabbed in the escape chapter and that same dying midshipman gives you a clue regarding the second Peters brother's fate. That leaves two remaining English Seamen so another 50/50.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  22. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Congrats on your first post, lurker.

Regarding the Russians (open)
    I reached the same conclusion but could only base it on assumption, no hard facts. Still, I was quick to sort out the Russians because I did it the exact same way as you did.

Regarding the English seamen (open)
    I noticed the part about the brothers as well, my only problem was figuring out which was which. Brennan being called out was unconfirmed for the longest time, I needed to eliminate the other person present first.

The dying midshipman doesn't give you a clue about the second Peters brother's fate. No, he tells you the fate of the midshipman whose first name is Peter. Once you learn the fate of the third midshipman you can discern their names and fates.

The topmen are the bigger problem, with two Englishmen and a Scotsman and pretty much no info about them. That's what took me so long.

^ Top  
  23. Allanon Liturgist

Allanon
    Brilliant game, really enjoyed it. Also the soundtrack is nice.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Boleskine Arcane

Boleskine
  25. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Video says that the game's attention to detail is a strong point... then complains that the game's attention to detail makes the game too challenging.

Video also uses the word "problematic" in that regard.

:nocountryforshitposters:

The only purpose the video serves is to be another +1 that likes the game. Considering that nine out of every ten Steam Curators I see recommend the game - that's turning into a very large bunch.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)