Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Revisiting Old Games (Again)

Falksi

Arcane
Altered Beast - Megadrive

0.jpg

It may not be the most prestigious, it may not be the best game from the 16-bit era, but there's no doubt that Altered Beast is an iconic name among gamers of that era. Originally packaged as the "free" game on the official UK release of the Megadrive, it got a bit of a bad rap simply because it was viewed as cheap due to it being a freebie. "Fuckinghell, Bergin's a bummer who loves Altered Beast" were part of the insults of the day. So was it all that bad?

No, not at all. In fact, it's a good little blast. Playing as a strictly 2-D beat em up, your moves are limited as hell to kick, punch, duck & jump. But it works really well because not only does the main character move great, but the punch & kick mechanic target different levels of height, and that works really well when combined with said jump & duck mechanics. It's all about anticipating where the enemies are going to go, and that's when it becomes fun. See you can't just strategically pick them off one by one, instead to progress you have to grab your spirit balls, which means intercepting silver wolves. These often waltz straight through the screen, so you're often faced with a risk/reward situation of chasing after them, or defending yourself against the other enemies. Combined with the fighting mechanics it works great. There's also some great enemy variety too.

Sadly, it does fall over in a few key areas. Firstly, if you play the levels well, you only get to play in beast form for about 5 second before facing a boss. It really kills any sense of satisfaction, and puts a crimp in the pow factor. Then you've the beasts themselves. Whilst funky enough, only the dragon really stands out as anything different. Hell the last level skanks you right out & gives you the same beast from level 1 too. The game's short, there's absolutely nothing to return to after you've finished it, and there's nothing gameplay wise which differentiates each level from the next really.

I enjoyed it, but there's no doubt there's plenty of better games out there too. An iconic average thrive.

:4/5:

Falksi

Arcane
Battletoads Vs Double Dragon - Megadrive/SNES

battletoads-and-double-dragon-19.png

^ "Eeeek!.....a NIGGER!!"

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles bought us all a lot of joy as kids, but they also birthed us The Battletoads. What the fuck were they all about then? Flimsy shit designed to cash in on Turtles fame, and little more. There's a reason that 30 years later they'er still making TMNT films, and no fuckers making Battletoads. Coz they're shit. So what better way for them to cement their place in history than by pissing all over one of the greatest Beat Em Up pairings of all time in Double Dragon too? Here we go.

So like the Toads themselves, the game is very gimmicky, played for laughs, and the gameplay reflects that. On one hand some of the moves are comical & fun, on the other it feels very cheap that the computer pulls off most of the more OTT moves through only having to repeatedly press the same button, and not through player choice or combos etc. Too often you feel detached from the action, and don't mention the boss attack patterns, Christ, there's fuck all to them.

The longer I played, the less I gave a fuck, and by stage 3 I'd genuinely started to hate the game. There's gimmicky fun, and there's gimmcky shit, and this is the latter. Nothing feels right, everything feels cheap & lacklustre. It's just a big swirling mass of bollocks really.

But with all that said, whether you like it or not will depend on how far you can stretch your quality-shit tolerance. It's has got some appeal, and I can see why folk who enjoy stuff like Mad Max Fury Road may like it, but I fucking hate the thing.

:1/5:

Falksi

Arcane
Cutie Suzuki no Ringside Angel - Megadrive

tumblr_nbsy22A4mY1qfxv5io1_500.gifv

^ Nice Beaver......

I've absolutely no idea how we came across this game as kids, but one of my best mates Oz got his mits on it and we played it into the ground. I used to borrow it off him all the time, just to perv at sexy pixelated women grappling with each other. Been looking forward to playing this again.

And it doesn't disappoint either, not in the short term anyway. Really easy to pick up & play, it gives you a nice variety of moves and strategies to employ to do over your opponent. Grapple them with one of the various moves available? wear them down on the mat? clothesline them? trade punches? twat them against the railing from outside the ring? fly from the top corner? it's all there and all works really well in keeping things fun.

The presentation is really good too, with great aesthetics entwined into the gameplay & adding to the excitement. It's very clever how they don't give you an energy bar, but instead alter the portrait of the combatants depending on their health. This really keeps it feeling organic and VERY much in keeping with TV wrestling. One minute you're shaking & looking despondent with the opponent kicking your ass, the next you've knocked out a string of moves to see you thriving, and you're opponent is shitting it as you proceed to get topside. It can be very Hulkamania-esq, and is great fun.

The kicker is that, once you have the hang of it, it's a bit too easy. It's really not that hard to cheese victories, and that can kill a lot of the fun and excitement. There's also not much to see or do once you've finished it, in fact it's really a game that's more suited to playing on a Fri night drunk with your mates whilst the wives cook tea and talk shopping.

A really quirky, jolly game which lacks depth, but is still great, daft, brain-dead fun.

Falksi

Arcane
Golden Axe - Megadrive

r2aGoldenAxe-600x420.jpg

So I've skirted around some of the big hitters of this era in order to give a bit more exposure to some of the lesser known titles, but I've been playing this most night with the missus these past few weeks, so now seemed like a good time to cover it, and you don't get much more of a bigger hitter than Golden Axe. This was one of the first Megadrive titles which I played alongside DJ Boy & Altered Beast on my mates Japanese imported Megadrive, and it's legacy is legendary.

It's just flat out fucking brilliant isn't it? There's no such thing as a "perfect" game, but this just does SO much right it's incredible. Firstly I'm a sucker for the fantasy theme, and this absolutely nails it. Barbarians, amazons, dwarves, dragons, the undead, it's wonderful rip-off of Conan with a bit of D&D thrown in for good measure. The music? Ye gads it's bang on. Each track is an absolutely epic fantasy score, which captures the vibe of the game & fantasy theme superbly.

Then you've the level design. Golden Axe does something which few actual "RPG's" manage to do nowadays, and that's convey the feeling of being on an adventure. The journey feels immense, as you do such things as fight in a village which is situated on the back of a giant turtle, whilst it sails you across the sea. It's real fucking fantasy stuff and I thrive on it. Each section of the game oozes character and, even though the enemies are very repetitive, the way they are presented in conjunction with the environment & little touches tells it's own little story.

But it's all for naught without good gameplay, and this is damn fine. Again not perfect, but damn fine. You always have to be on your toes and constantly on the move, hit & run, get in first or it's too late, it really is great stuff. It finds this wonderfully amazing balance between pace & weight, and every bit of combat and movement just feels so fucking good. Yes, a few too many enemies do fall to cheesy tactics, namely falling to their deaths very easily & being vulnerable to dash attacks. But they are so aggressive themselves, especially with their dash attacks & air attacks too, that it still strikes a great balance overall, and it all feels part of the fun.

In fact I've never known a game make weaving in & out of combat, and around your opponents feel so incredibly satisfying. You're always on the move or in a scrap, and it somehow nails this wave like flow of motion throughout as you play. Moveset wise it's fairly simple, but the way you can combine each move at certain points during combat just gives the games that wonderful rhythm to it. It's simply brilliant.

Two player is where the game excels, as there's no end of times you can use teamwork to good effect. You share credits, so said teamwork matters even more, and playing with a bit of a gimp like our lass can be as comical as it is frustrating. Single player is still great, but not as repayable as you can easily find yourself repeating similar patterns throughout several playthroughs.

What's more to say though? It's a fucking classic. An all time classic which is still just as enjoyable now as it was back then, and is probably my number 1 "pick up & play" game of all time.

Own it now.

:5/5:

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Crackdown - Megadrive

xJKOIS-NNTdiFlXU7nLCKScaG-m0YYiOij7fhrx3M_ZIWXv4xKAWW7kaI1_0EHBvgs4Y2_eAPLyRTzivJJ5ErzPCmCu3o7k1BITxi5p4A9MVlJHgnY7Izauc0lqBycWFq8RzL7FXSS0ral0

maxresdefault.jpg

I fondly remember playing this whilst waiting for my mam to take me to scouts as a kid. Used to love it, but grew bored of playing it quickly too. Kind of game I'd play through fully once every 4 or 5 months, then not touch again for ages. That old school voiced intro is so bad-good I'd mutter it to myself over the years for shits and giggles at random intervals.

So Crackdown really hasn't aged well at all, not one bit. The era produced some of the most rush-inducing Shumps in gaming, plenty of which stand the test of time today, so this style of more ponderous, considered Shump is really up against it nowadays. And it just doesn't cut it unfortunately.

The main problem I found was that most deaths occur from moving into the path of bullets which you can't see coming. Enemies hide outside the screen, and then shoot you dead the second you walk them into view. Which in turn really just turns the whole game into simply memorizing which enemies are where. It's not bad like, it's just a bit dull & there's far many more better games out there which apply that approach. The repetitive nature of shoot-duck-shoot-duck isn't really much fun either.

But with all that said, throw a 2nd player into the mix and it can be a laugh. I played it with our lass and it was like playing with a blind retard with no thumbs, which did create some laughs as I tried to drag her through the levels.

One of those games which I woudn't bother with now.

:2/5:

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Shining Force - Megadrive

jiitn3hsikjlckkvfj2p.jpg

^Laser Eye=Penis eye

Now this was a game I played to death back in the day. I owned the excellent Therapy? album Troublegum, and would turn down the volume on the game, and play both simultaneously over & over. I'd have had it as a "classic" before playing it now, so I was a touch apprehensive about returning to it with the nostalgia specs off to say the least......

It does a lot of things right which still hold up. The charm especially is there in abundance, with those cut-to battle sequences still fun to watch, even the 90th time over. The roleplaying areas all have their own character, and most importantly it feels like your on an actual journey, with the story fairly thin but told in such a way that the hero's journey is the focus. The humour's fairly good too, very child-like but still cheeky & charming in parts.

But it's biggest strength probably lies withing the plethora of characters you can add to your team. You've your standard knights, wizards & warriors, but then you have some superb unique characters such as a Ninja, Samurai, Dragon, Steamknight, Jellyfish (yep, you read right) etc. these really add some great flavour to the game & it's very rewarding locating & adding a character who offers something completely different to the others. It's also so easy to pick up & play that you're instantly drawn in and flowing along with the action no sweat. It's all really straightforward stuff, yet despite that has a smattering of depth here & there too.

But boy does it hit some major bumps, some which make the whole shebang a real grind.

Firstly, it takes some real time to gather momentum, in fact it doesn't really start to get going until Chapter 3 (there are 8 in total). Secondly, some of the maps are great with traps & unique challenges presented in them, however far too many are an absolute fucking slog. I mean a total and utter grind, where you spend turn after turn trekking across rough terrain just to reach combat. Yes you can have flyers & the likes who ignore such penalties, but these are fairly rare & at least half your force will be hindered by said terrain. It just makes for some long winded, dull battles. To add to that, leveling is pretty fucked up. You can go from wimp to God to wimp and back all in a few levels. It's not unheard of to be taking 1pt of damage in one battle, then getting one or two-shotted in the next. And this tends to push your focus into killing enemies for EXP rather than to win the battle, which again sours the whole experience.

At times I was loving it, and could see why it was a fave of mine back in the day. But nowadays it had just too much dragging it down to retain that "classic" status. I'd defo say check it out, but I think that's the last time I'll be playing it. Sleep well sweet prince.

:3/5:

Play Scooby Doo for sega

Just started this. Seems OK so far, will continue later in the week.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Wonderboy in Monster Land - Megadrive

793806-938477_20070504_002.jpg

Some folk rave about this one, but despite being a Wonderboy fan I never got round to playing it. Just reading some online comments about it now, and there's plenty along the lines of "best Megadrive game ever". So it best be good.

Lying cunts, it's not. In fact it's downright dull as fuck. Which is rather puzzling to say the least considering that I absolutely thrived on the Master System's Dragon's Trap back in t' day. The problem is that the game is too far away from being any of the genres which it incorporates, and those which it does it doesn't incorporate well.

As an RPG it's proper old school stuff, with the guidance given often very ambiguous. Many puzzles you solve just by kinda trying things and going to different places at different times when you run out of ideas. As a platform game there's no real platforming to speak of. Yes you can jump, but you'll never navigate platform, pits, traps & suchlike as you do in games such as Mario. And combat is quite frankly shite, as you walk forward, stab, walk forward, stab etc. There's no real need for anything other than be cautious.

And then you've the levels themselves. Absolutely padded out to fuck. It's not unheard of to have to navigate 3 or 4 screens exactly like the one before, doing pretty much the same walk-stab pattern as you have all game. This is probably the game's worst sin, and it becomes real od real fast.

A few nice touches exist, and it does respond well. but it's a prime example of the type of game which made me think as a kid "I REALLY need to get a PC to play some proper RPGs"

:2/5:

Semiurge

Cipher
Golden Axe - Megadrive

r2aGoldenAxe-600x420.jpg

So I've skirted around some of the big hitters of this era in order to give a bit more exposure to some of the lesser known titles, but I've been playing this most night with the missus these past few weeks, so now seemed like a good time to cover it, and you don't get much more of a bigger hitter than Golden Axe. This was one of the first Megadrive titles which I played alongside DJ Boy & Altered Beast on my mates Japanese imported Megadrive, and it's legacy is legendary.

It's just flat out fucking brilliant isn't it? There's no such thing as a "perfect" game, but this just does SO much right it's incredible. Firstly I'm a sucker for the fantasy theme, and this absolutely nails it. Barbarians, amazons, dwarves, dragons, the undead, it's wonderful rip-off of Conan with a bit of D&D thrown in for good measure. The music? Ye gads it's bang on. Each track is an absolutely epic fantasy score, which captures the vibe of the game & fantasy theme superbly.

Then you've the level design. Golden Axe does something which few actual "RPG's" manage to do nowadays, and that's convey the feeling of being on an adventure. The journey feels immense, as you do such things as fight in a village which is situated on the back of a giant turtle, whilst it sails you across the sea. It's real fucking fantasy stuff and I thrive on it. Each section of the game oozes character and, even though the enemies are very repetitive, the way they are presented in conjunction with the environment & little touches tells it's own little story.

But it's all for nought without good gameplay, and this is damn fine. Again not perfect, but damn fine. You always have to be on your toes and constantly on the move, hit & run, get in first or it's too late, it really is great stuff. A few too many enemies do fall to cheesy tactics, namely falling to their deaths very easily & being vulnerable to dash attacks. But they are so aggressive themselves, especially with their dash attacks & air attacks too, that it still strikes a great balance overall.

Two player is where the game excels, as there's no end of times you can use teamwork to good effect. You share credits, so said teamwork matters even more, and playing with a bit of a gimp like our lass can be as comical as it is frustrating. Single player is still great, but not as repayable as you can easily find yourself repeating similar patterns throughout several playthroughs.

What's more to say though? It's a fucking classic. An all time classic which is still just as enjoyable now as it was back then, and is probably my number 1 "pick up & play" game of all time.

Own it now.

:5/5:

Chicken Leg for codex avatar 2020.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I'm playing this ancient console RPG, some people may have heard of it. It's called Morrowind, but funnily enough it got a PC port. Can't wait to see what this Bethesda company has in store for the next titles.

Falksi

Arcane
Scooby Doo - Megadrive

3-Genesis_gameplay.png

As requested......

Play Scooby Doo for sega

....I wasn't even aware that this game existed, so here we go.

Games like this are always gonna struggle to win me over due to 2 things. Firstly I'm a massive Monkey Island fan, so it's got all on trying to match up to that. Secondly, games of this ilk are very fiddly on gamepads, so I'm constantly longing for a mouse to play it.

As it stands I kinda enjoyed it a bit, but not much. The presentation is excellent, with the graphics in particular really capturing the Scooby vibe. Music is OK, nowt special, but it does play out very much like a Scooby cartoon, and just having those cliches such as monster chases in there is a nice little touch.

However, the humour is lacking, with odd moments of comedy but again when you go back to superbly written shizney like Monkey Island it just can't compete. Then the puzzles themselves can be very obscure, not anything new for this type of game, but some of them are really quite poorly designed IMO, having to open every door in a room to unlock one door for example. But the real kicker is that there's no real moments of inspiration. Everything's a bit flat & dull - grab items from draws, use bog standard items to solve puzzle (e.g. use a shovel to move snow). Finally it all takes place in contained areas, again unlike Monkey Island where there's a sense of exploration & adventure there. Again I just much prefer the latter.

Still I had some fun and don't think it's bad at all. I think Scooby Doo fans could get a lot out of it, and can see why some folk may thrive on it with the nostalgia goggles on, it just didn't do anything special for me & combined with the gamepad controls I found it more work-like than fun.

:3/5:

Falksi

Arcane
Final Fight - SNES

794514-938863_20070509_001.jpg

Another legendary game amonst us as kids, Final Fight really stood out in the arcades because of the meaty sprites & presentation, and tie ins with 80's rock & wrestling. Specifically, in Mike Haggar you had the choice of playing as a musclebound monster who towered over the enemy, and piling driving them into the ground. Suddenly you could be what most beat 'em ups would have as a boss. The whole thing created quite a buzz back then, and it was one of the main reasons I bought a SNES.

So big sprites, crunchy thuds, great tunes, responsive action, everything fits together great to create a very satisfying experience overall. Again it's move set is a bit limited, but it's certainly started to move away from the 80's era of limitations, with a enough variety in there to keep it interesting. And despite the more basic move set, a combination of varied enemy types & how you can utilize your limited moves & weapons surprisingly provides plenty of fun. Other than the bog standard low grade fist-fodder, each enemy is very unique and has significantly interesting attacks. More-so, when certain combos of enemies team up it forces you to think & act in different ways, and it works really well. All the enemies have a ton of character too, which again keeps things interesting.

It's also very deliberate & punchy. Enemies take big chunks out of your life bar with only a few hits, and that keeps things on edge throughout. The levels have plenty of character as well, with each serving as a notable marker on what feels like a journey across dangerous turf.

But this SNES version suffers from a few major kickers. Firstly you can't choose from all 3 fighters, you always have Hagger to select from and then it's one of Cody or Guy depending on the version you play. It's not the end of the earth and you can work round it with different versions of the game, but it is a shame. However, the lack of a 2-player mode really is a kick in the sack and takes a big chunk of fun away from the game. You also have censorship playing a big role in certain versions of the game, with even certain sprites changing sex to appease the SJW chumps. And finally there's a missing level and, even though the level which was dropped was definitely the worst one IMO, it'd still be nice to have it there.

Still a top scrap, but I'd like to play the Mega CD or Arcade version with all the missing bits soon & see how that compared. For it's faults, it's definitely still worth playing.

EDIT:

Arcade Version:

So now returning to the arcade version, and you can really feel that increase in quality here. As well as all the missing features from the SNES versions (2 player option, only a choice of 2 characters etc.) the two big things which stand out for me and elevate the game to another level are the intensity of the fights, and the slightly more chaotic nature of the whole game.

This is largely down to the fact that the arcade allows for several more sprites on screen at once than the SNES version. Throughout the entire game now there's little time for rest bite, and you're constantly just trying to keep your head above water & beating enemies away, any which way you can. It's still designed well enough so that you have to be considered in your actions, but you have to think & move quicker than on the SNES too.

One bizarre little quirk, is that on the arcade version you occasionally drop enemies from your grasp when grappling them. This plays into that upping of intensity, as no longer do you default to the maximum damage option, but you're weighing this up alongside of taking the gamble whether you can drop your opponent or not, & sometimes it's better to play it safe and go for something like a quick medium guaranteed damage like a body slam, rather than the full combo of 2 headbutts & a pile driver etc. You're desperation move comes into play a lot more too, as it's essential for crowd control with these extra enemies on screen, and the sacrifice of a little energy becomes a lot less of concern than getting a ton of them piling on you and draining a full life bar in no time at all.

As admirable & good as the SNES conversion is, the arcade version really takes it up a notch, and gives one of the most meaty, satisfying, bone-crunching, intense old-school beat em ups experiences which you can get.

Last edited:

Pink_Clouds

Barely Literate
*sees Falksi's long list-of-tags*

Great. Now this thread is five miles longer.

Hi, i hope you having a wonderful day , i couldn't pm you so, was wondering you mentioned a game called universe B.A.T 2 1980 game in other thread, i couldn't google the game could you please write me the correct name of the game please Thank you

Pink_Clouds

Barely Literate

Falksi

Arcane

:lol: How the fuck I didn't get a "Consoletard" tag I'll never know! :lol:

You never get the tags you actually want (with exceptions of course, see some of the Vatniks who are quite happy with their tag)

Yeah, I'm not bothered about tags either way, it just seemed a missed opportunity for DU as I'm clearly one of the more console focused posters on here.

Shame that the extended tag list is fucking up folk's enjoyment of reading the threads though because of the thread length like Unkillable Cat says above. I guess I'll just have to post longer messages :lol:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

:lol: How the fuck I didn't get a "Consoletard" tag I'll never know! :lol:

You never get the tags you actually want (with exceptions of course, see some of the Vatniks who are quite happy with their tag)

Yeah, I'm not bothered about tags either way, it just seemed a missed opportunity for DU as I'm clearly one of the more console focused posters on here.

Shame that the extended tag list is fucking up folk's enjoyment of reading the threads though because of the thread length like Unkillable Cat says above. I guess I'll just have to post longer messages :lol:

Just answer enough of DU posts in threads he cares about and probably deactivates them himself

Duralux for Durabux

Falski Can you review Planetscape Torment or old classics? I mean you triggered everyone with your review on fallout 2.Keep it up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Falksi

Arcane
Falski Can you review Planetscape Torment or old classics? I mean you triggered everyone with your review with fallout 2.Keep it up.

:lol: One of the reasons I'm steering clear of some of those is because I can't get on with them, PST in particular. I can see the potential, and loved the setting, setup & humour, but I just can't be arsed reading so much text without it being broken up by good combat.

On the flipside, I fucking love both Baldur's Gate games, so for all those games for me it's just about knowing what balance you prefer and playing those which suit you.

They've been covered enough on here anyway. If anyone else wants to post 'em go for it, but I'm currently really enjoying playing through the 8-16 bit collection, and would sooner cover games which have far less exposure (like X-Com Apocalypse - as good as any of the famed games constantly praised on here like Jagged Alliance, but criminally overlooked)

Duralux for Durabux

:lol: One of the reasons I'm steering clear of some of those is because I can't get on with them, PST in particular. I can see the potential, and loved the setting, setup & humour, but I just can't be arsed reading so much text without it being broken up by good combat.

On the flipside, I fucking love both Baldur's Gate games, so for all those games for me it's just about knowing what balance you prefer and playing those which suit you.

They've been covered enough on here anyway. If anyone else wants to post 'em go for it, but I'm currently really enjoying playing through the 8-16 bit collection, and would sooner cover games which have far less exposure (like X-Com Apocalypse - as good as any of the famed games constantly praised on here like Jagged Alliance, but criminally overlooked)
I'm tired of everyone praising the same game over and over again, it would be cool if you highly criticize thoses games. A fun,highly critical review on wizardry 7-4-3-5 or old Utimas will be cool. (or even fallout 1 god if you do the same review for fallout 1 i can't imagine how many retarded ratings you will receive because of how much you will have trigger those retarded fanboys)) .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom