Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Richard Garriott's social games shit studio lays off staff

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kenneth speculates: http://ultimacodex.com/2012/12/portalarium-hit-with-layoffs/

Once burned, twice shy, as they say. A similar explanation was offered when a large round of layoffs hit BioWare Austin, and it later turned out to be the case that the game was…well, if not actually in trouble then at least seen as being in such. That series of events ultimately ended with the game transitioning to a hybrid subscription/free-to-play model, of course…and I find myself led to suspect that “reducing staff to appropriate levels to support” X, Y, and Z titles is the new “nothing to see here” in the world of corporate male bovine excrement. Surprise layoffs aren’t typically a good sign (see: 38 Studios) either.

Is Portalarium in trouble? You wouldn’t necessarily think so, given that they recently secured a good $7 million in venture capital, and also entered into a partnership with Zynga. Zynga hasn’t been doing very well financially of late; could it be that they’ve scaled back their support for Portalarium’s development efforts?

According to GameBanshee, at least, development of the Ultimate RPG hasn’t been affected by this, which is something. Still, if the company is falling on fiscal difficulties, does the possibility exist that we’ll see Garriott turn to crowdfunding to raise any additional needed capital? Is an Ultimate RPG Kickstarter on — or just over — the horizon?

Or am I making mountains out of molehills?

I've come to the conclusion that celebrity movie directors and game developers should be summarily executed shortly after they release their first bad movie/game
:mca:

Luckily, he wasn't a celebrity yet when Descent to Undermountain was released.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
"Bad" doesn't mean "mediocre" or "it's not my cup of tea."

"Bad" is when the game or movie is so awful that not only can the Codex reach a near-total consensus (given that some Codexians enjoy Divinity 2, that alone is a shocking accomplishment), but even some of the proletariat are unhappy with the abortive project.

Zarniwoop: The screenwriters are much more to blame for the mediocrity of Prometheus than is Ridley Scott. Also, it's mediocre, not a complete train wreck.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
(...snip)

Luckily, he wasn't a celebrity yet when Descent to Undermountain was released.

Well, he would count as a celebrity after Alpha Protocol, though, right? I mean, seriously, is was worse than Ultima 9 (if not nearly as much of a let down).

No it wasn't.

Anyway that was Mitsoda's project that Avellone had to take over

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, he would count as a celebrity after Alpha Protocol, though, right? I mean, seriously, is was worse than Ultima 9 (if not nearly as much of a let down).

o_O

AP was not the bestest game evar, but by god it was way above the unplayable abortion of U9. Shame on you.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Bad" doesn't mean "mediocre" or "it's not my cup of tea."

"Bad" is when the game or movie is so awful that not only can the Codex reach a near-total consensus (given that some Codexians enjoy Divinity 2, that alone is a shocking accomplishment), but even some of the proletariat are unhappy with the abortive project.

Zarniwoop: The screenwriters are much more to blame for the mediocrity of Prometheus than is Ridley Scott. Also, it's mediocre, not a complete train wreck.

1. The dumbest fucking crew in the history of movies ever being sent to investigate a possible alien lifeform is hardly mediocre. Supposed world experts in their fields freaking out like 11-year-old girls upon seeing exactly what they expected to find (alien lifeforms) is not mediocre. Post-modern anti-science bullshit propaganda is not mediocre. The WCDS probably loved the movie though. Completely messing up an existing universe is not mediocre. A plot that makes about as much sense as a Prosper post and ties up just as many loose ends, is not mediocre. Those are shit. I agree the visual effects are nice, as well as some of the acting etc, but those don't make up for the awful shittyness of watching the thing. Just like in Avaturd where fancy AWESUME GRAFIX don't make up for it being a shit movie.

2. The Codex did reach near consensus (pretty much as close as it ever gets) that Prometheus was awful. Just look at the thread on the subject.

3. Prometheus wasn't his first bad movie, more like the last straw. Need I remind you about G.I. Jane for example? In fact pretty much everything after Blade Runner was between mediocre and complete shit, with the exception of Gladiator. At least the stuff I saw.

As for your last point, you could also by the same logic say that it's more the programmers/writers'/whoever's fault that Ultima 9 sucked, and not really Garriot's

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
But I love Blade Runner, so I'm biased. No one ever accused me of not being a hypocrite.

It's not an actual suggestion of course, it's just a joke. My point was that it seems when celebrity developers/directors fall from grace, they rarely recover.

Alex

Arcane
(...snip)

No it wasn't.
(snip...)

Well to be fair, I did manage to play a little more of AP than I did of Ultima 9 before ragequitting. But this was based more on expectations of both games than on how awful they were by themselves. Still, maybe Ultima IX got a lot worse later on, I don't know. I will say, however, that while both games locked you into a cinematic experience, cutting away your agency and locking you to a pre-crafted story, at least Ultima IX looked a little more open. I mean, sure, Alpha Protocol may have had the advantage of ts history being more "interactive", in that it changed according to your actions in some ways. But without agency, that is the same stuff as in those visual novels stuff.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Stop projecting your buthurt on WCDS the Prometheus was typical Hollywood trip about Evul White Man in power full of Scientists acting like a bunch of Hippies who have to touch everything cause Space is friendly place like in Star Derp and gunz are Evul too, white males all acting like fags, manly negro Captain who alone acts with courage and spine, wymyn and race mixing between the two.

This is how Prometheus and Avatar should end:

And Garriotts and other burned out old farts like Ken Rollston should be send home playing with grandchildren away from computers and Internetz.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom