Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RimWorld - Damned Colonists in Space

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
3928E3A6BEBEB53937E7BA395F012986E7906F4B

mad lad riding a living bomb

Last edited:

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
A while ago i rescued and managed to recruit one fox girl because of her high skills and their faction rebelled on me, today this showed up on my colony after a period of no raids, 16 angry Kitsume's. God bless concrete walls.
unknown.png

Kitty tried shooting one of my droids, shot bounced back at her and destroyed her heart XD
A future candidate for my cybernetics/cloning program.
unknown.png

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was going to play rimworld today but decided against it. What are the best mods right now?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was going to play rimworld today but decided against it. What are the best mods right now?
If you haven't played before, I recommend vanilla. Then when you find things that annoy you and ask questions like, "Why aren't there toilets?" or "Why can't I repair damaged clothes?", look for the mods and install them to create your perfect version of the game.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you haven't played before, I recommend vanilla. Then when you find things that annoy you and ask questions like, "Why aren't there toilets?" or "Why can't I repair damaged clothes?", look for the mods and install them to create your perfect version of the game.

I have played Rimworld a lot since it was released in early access, but it has been a while since I last loaded it up. I tried flicking through the mods earlier today but it became a bit bothersome. I basically just want some extra weapons, some interesting new factions, and maybe a cool gimmick or two. The last mod I played was a Cthulu one, which was kind of amusing, but again that was a long time ago.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
But damn it's addictive as all hell
See you in 100 hours.

I can't remember the last time I went to work this smashed. I work at a pretty stressful, fast-moving (but very fun!) job, so one of my life decisions the last couple years has been to never, ever go to work without at least 7 hours of sleep. This weekend I played Rimworld pretty much non-stop from 7AM saturday, going to bed at around 3AM, then again from 8AM to 3:30AM. This christmas vacation is going to be wasted...

I do wish there were better intermediate guides up on YouTube though. Stuff like "how to best plan out your base", "how you should manage your rooms" etc. Everything I can find is either supar basic shit about how to survive the start of the game or advanced "tricks" that are kindda-sorrta cool but not core game knowledge about game stages beyond the early game. I only learned yesterday how to manage outfits for instance, man that was a godsend. So yeah, would pay money for "so you're getting ok at Rimworld, here are the basics about X game stage" guide.

EDIT: for example, I see most people mid game have these double-walls of granite or similar materials covering a fuckhueg part of the map, encircling their base, so they can funnel raiders into killboxes. They do this with less colonists than I currently have, and I have no idea where they get all the blocks for such colossal walls. Of course most just build their base in the middle of 2 giant mountains, but even though I've played 4-5 maps I haven't see one with such a structure.

So right now I haven't gotten killboxes to work since raiders can always attack me from least 3 directions, often many more. I'm just relying on sandbags and stuff and it means every raid is potentially pretty dangerous. Though it's gotten better since I put roof over my sandboxes so my guys aren't affected by weather modifiers.

I'm playing on Commitment mode obv. I've had 2 fairly succesful colonies now but haven't gotten to late game. First one ended when it was going great and everyone was equipped with purchased Marine Armor or still pretty good gear and Assault Rifles on up, and I tried to raid a colony. Shouldn't have done that... The current one was finally settling in a very good spot yesterday, but then I got attacked by 3 hyena which should be no fucking threat at all, but because I was tired and lazy I rushed my draftees, the Hyena moved more quickly than I thought, and I lost 2 good pawns to them. STUPID

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

My favourite one, hands down, is Allow Tool. Every functionality in that tool should be core, *especially* the ability to select all blighted plants.

Besides that, I'm playing with Alpha Animals right now and it really adds diversity to the wildlife, and they're all mechanically unique, though I'd wish the odds of AA-appearances was way, way lower. Right now it feels a bit to much like I've settled in the middle of an alienl zoo. Maybe you can adjust that in the mods settings.

Last edited:

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I see most people mid game have these double-walls of granite or similar materials covering a fuckhueg part of the map, encircling their base, so they can funnel raiders into killboxes

You have to not think about the killbox as where your people fight the enemy. You have to think of it as where you trick the enemy into going so that they've already lost the battle before you start shooting. Design it so that you have plasteel fighting your enemies, not flesh. You can always dig more metal out of the ground. It's a lot easier than replacing human beings, and if you're gonna get ahead in Rimworld you gotta think of your pawns as humans.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But also be ready as there are enemies that will simply dig through walls and bypass your killbox. So have a fallback or be doomed :P

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I see most people mid game have these double-walls of granite or similar materials covering a fuckhueg part of the map, encircling their base, so they can funnel raiders into killboxes

You have to think of it as where you trick the enemy into going so that they've already lost the battle before you start shooting.

Ehm, yes, that much is obvious :) The question is: how do you actually do that. I don't have fuckhueg mountains that can cover 2-3 walls for me, so if the only way to do it is walling off the entire base, that would be an insane project in terms of scope relative to the resources I have. Even doing it with wood would be a pretty massive undertaking. It might be that's the way to go, if so I'll probably give it a shot. At least to have something more managable than the completely open base I have right now.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron

You have to think of it as where you trick the enemy into going so that they've already lost the battle before you start shooting.

Ehm, yes, that much is obvious :) The question is: how do you actually do that. I don't have fuckhueg mountains that can cover 2-3 walls for me, so if the only way to do it is walling off the entire base, that would be an insane project in terms of scope relative to the resources I have. Even doing it with wood would be a pretty massive undertaking. It might be that's the way to go, if so I'll probably give it a shot. At least to have something more managable than the completely open base I have right now.
Generally stone working should be a top priority in early game. It's best to completely avoid wood if possible for obvious reasons. Aim to have stashes of stone blocks available constantly and eventually it won't be hard to create walls wherever you want

axx

Savant
There's usually a mod for every annoyance you encounter in vanilla. Watching quill18 play with Immersion+ modpack seems fun, you can still disable individual mods. They can be glitchy together though.
I usually leave an opening in my walls and concetrate defense there, enemy pathfinding semms to prefer it, but I guess on larger swarms they may attack anywhere, haven't tested this yet.
Late into the game the stone block stash is just piling up. Any other uses aside from making sculptures?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
One mod I can definitely always recommend is "Replace Stuff". Saves from a lot of stupid busywork

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I have avoided a lot of otherwise interesting mods so far because a lot of them seem like pure buffs. It's always depressing to see some cool LP trying some awesome challenge and then find out "oh, they're using this, this and this mod which makes the game way easier"

And it's the case with a ton of shit where you wouldn't think so. I've installed Wall Light mod for example because that shit should just be core, but for some reason the light is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY cheaper than a standing lamp in steel cost if you don't edit it yourself (which I did). God dammit I don't want cheats I just want cool stuff

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
"Replace Stuff" basically does the following for you: Sets the current item on that spot to be destroyed and then sets the exact same item of the new material that you selected to be build in that spot.
The cool thing is that with this you can very fastly replace for example all the walls of a room which is otherwise a really boring procedure. And if you indeed start with building wooden walls you will definitely want to replace them eventually..

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.

You have to not think about the killbox as where your people fight the enemy. You have to think of it as where you trick the enemy into going so that they've already lost the battle before you start shooting. Design it so that you have plasteel fighting your enemies, not flesh. You can always dig more metal out of the ground. It's a lot easier than replacing human beings, and if you're gonna get ahead in Rimworld you gotta think of your pawns as humans.
If you want to treat pawns as humans, then don't abuse raider pathfinding. At least get a mod like Careful Raids.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
My favourite Rimworld play-though was a few years back. I basically dug into a massive mountain and fortified the one entrance, and then dug out a massive atrium and started constructing the spaceship. I barely succeeded, because those metal slug monsters appeared and started forcing their way inside. Nowadays I assume the raiders have become so advanced that they'd just dig their own alternative entrances or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom