Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RimWorld - Damned Colonists in Space

Yeah if only Toady's autism had an on/off switch.. AFAIK you can play df through stonesense now, didn't test it yet though.

Dryngar

Novice
Project: Eternity
Been very tempted to buy this on several occasions, especially since i love DF and sci-fi, but the $30 price tag seems a bit much for the amount of content.

Ashery

Prophet
With the trade caravans, is there some way to sell, say, 500 out of your 1000 venison besides clucking that damn button five hundred times?

Ashery

Prophet
With the trade caravans, is there some way to sell, say, 500 out of your 1000 venison besides clucking that damn button five hundred times?
You can click numbers and move sideways like a slider to select huge amounts

...And the dev decided to implement that without some type of slider to give some type of visual clue as to what the hell to do besides clicking those arrows? Ah well, one of the downsides of alphas. Thanks.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
https://ludeon.com/blog/2016/05/steam-release-this-summer-with-scenario-system/
Steam release this summer with scenario system
Posted May 25th, 2016 by Tynan Sylvester
I’m planning on releasing RimWorld into Steam Early Access this summer.Steam release will also be the release of Alpha 14, which will be very content-rich and have at least one major new system. Check out the Steam page here.

Non-Steam players will also get the same updates at the same time, through the current SendOwl distribution system.

Regarding giving out keys, I’m afraid I can’t promise this because of Valve’s policy. The old answer from the FAQ still applies.

The current tentative release month is July (though this could be delayed if something unforeseen happens). I considered pushing it sooner, but I want to have time to make Alpha 14 really juicy for you, and to pump up a bit of hype. June is also a bit crowded.

For Alpha 14, we’ve been working intensely on two tracks. The first is just refining everything that was there. We’ve consumed a massive amount of feedback and applied that to the game. So there have been hundreds of balance changes, interface tweaks, systems adjustments, and bugfixes to solve the issues that are coming up.

The big feature is the scenario system. The classic RimWorld experience is to survive with three crash-landed passengers – but the game isn’t limited to this any more. Now you can customize, trade, and randomize different scenarios. In each one, the starting conditions, items, characters, research, and persistent game rules are different.

For example, we have a scenario where you play as a lone rich guy out seeking adventure, trying to build a colony on his own. He starts with a lot of wealth and research, but is alone. Another scenario has you playing six lost tribespeople trying to build a new home. As a tribe, they start with less tech (though they do have some tech that the space people lack) and get research penalties when researching high-tech projects. However, they have advantages in numbers.

Scenarios can also be randomized and manually edited. A random scenario might have a permanent toxic fallout, but start you with a pile of golden spears and ten pet bears, but not allow you to tame animals. You can edit that any way you like, write your own summary, description, and game start dialog. Here is a list of the editable scenario parts as they are now (we’ll likely add more):

• Permanent version of all map conditions (eclipse, solar flare, etc).
  • Planetkiller: World is destroyed on X date.
  • Climate cycle which makes the world get warmer and cooler over a period of years. Winter is coming.
  • Disable building a given type of building.
  • Pawns start with health condition X.
  • Start with X items.
  • Map is scattered with X items.
  • Configure arrival method (pods or standing)
  • Starting pawns are all between ages X and Y
  • Pawns explode on death (configurable type and radius)
  • All pawns from source (game start/all) have trait X
  • Starting animal(s)
  • Disallow mining
  • Disallow hunting
  • Disallow taming
  • Disallow growing
  • Disable incident
  • Multiplier for any stat on the game (move speed, mining speed, etc)
  • Disallow building X
Scenarios are integrated with Steam Workshop, as are mods. Both can be easily uploaded from within the game, and you can subscribe or unsubscribe in the Workshop interface while playing – the mod and scenario lists will update in real time in-game.

We’re still adding and fixing more stuff. Let’s get the hype train started!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Somoene made Kalin butthurt

iyiLmfi.png

8o05NJL.png

And then as soon as the two of them calm down and go to get treated, this raid shows up :x

nY0l6BZ.jpg

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Alpha 14 and steam EA coming within days
Alpha 14 will be released with the Steam release, on July 15, at 1pm EST.

The game is not released yet! You can’t get it yet! But it’ll become available on Friday. For info on how Steam keys will be distributed, please see the FAQ.

For now, here’s a preview! Below the video, you can find a summary of all the changes we’ve made for Alpha 14. Steam up the hype train!

Change summary:

Scenario system
  • New scenario system allows you to choose, randomize, and customize special situations to play in. Determine starting situation, your type of community (tribe, colony), permanent map conditions, starting items, animals, health conditions, and traits, and change special rules.
  • Several built-in scenarios, including one matching the classic RimWorld experience, are included.
  • You can randomize new scenarios.
  • You can customize scenarios with a special interface that allows creation of any scenario you like.
  • Scenarios can be uploaded to or grabbed from Steam Workshop with a single click.
  • ScenPart: Permanent version of all map conditions (eclipse, solar flare, etc).
  • ScenPart: Planetkiller scenario part: World is destroyed on X date.
  • ScenPart: Climate cycle which makes the world get warmer and cooler over a period of years. Winter is coming.
  • ScenPart: Disable building a given type of building.
  • ScenPart: Pawns start with health condition.
  • ScenPart: Start with items.
  • ScenPart: Map is scattered with items.
  • ScenPart: Configure arrival method (pods or standing)
  • ScenPart: Starting pawns are all between ages X and Y
  • ScenPart: Pawns explode on death (configurable type and radius)
  • ScenPart: All pawns from source (game start/all) have trait X
  • ScenPart: Starting animal(s)
  • ScenPart: Disallow mining
  • ScenPart: Disallow hunting
  • ScenPart: Disallow taming
  • ScenPart: Disallow growing
  • ScenPart: Disable incident
  • ScenPart: Multiplier for any stat on the game (move speed, mining speed, etc)
  • ScenPart: Disallow building
Pawn overlapping
  • Pawns can no longer overlap during melee combat (unless they’re really small). No more animal deathstacks! This also creates new tactics around blocking, surrounding, or back-line shooters. We had to write a bunch of AI and blocking code to make this function.
AI
  • Raiders can now enter “steal” mode if they see enough value. They’ll grab your stuff and carry it off.
  • Kidnapping raiders now work together much better to kidnap. Instead of everyone fleeing at once, some will kidnap while others cover them.
  • AI dressing algorithm is now better at making outfits to withstand cold temperatures. If there is no way to make a survivable outfit, pawns won’t arrive at all. No more raids arriving and keeling over in -60C weather.
  • Predators no longer hunt boomrats and boomalopes.
  • Pawns will be smarter about avoiding traps in various situations.
New stuff
  • Full Steam Workshop support for mods.
  • You can now play as a tribe in some scenarios.
  • Added torch lamp
  • Added pemmican for low-tech food preservation.
  • Research difficulty is now related to your faction’s tech level. Researching techs above your level is harder. So if you’re a tribe, researching spaceflight will be difficult.
  • Added research (needed for tribes only): complex clothing, electricity
  • Added research (needed for non-tribes only): pemmican
  • Added research: air conditioning, autodoors, gun turrets
  • Added ‘ransom demand’ incident. Can fire after one of your people is kidnapped.
  • Added “killed my X” social thoughts so people dislike their loved ones’ killers
  • Added new class of “minor” mental breaks, which can happen at mood under 40%.
  • Added minor mental break: food binge.
  • Ground fertility is now reported on mouseover.
  • Added moisture pump, which slowly converts wet terrain to dry terrain. Requires power.
  • Hives now pop out glow pods – bug light sources that glow for 20 days (as long as they’re installed) and can be reinstalled or sold.
  • Added traits: creepy breathing, annoying voice. These are socially repellent.
  • Added trait: pyromaniac. Will go on firestarting sprees when stressed, and never puts out fire.
  • Added panther for jungle biome. Because I discovered panthers aren’t real and I need to cope with this somehow.
  • There is now an orange glow to help you identify very hot areas.
  • Added/replaced animals created by the excellent Kay Fedewa:
    • Caribou
    • Cassowary
    • Deer
    • Emu
    • Arctic fox
    • Fennec fox
    • Red fox
    • Gazelle
    • Husky
    • Ibex
    • Lynx
    • Megatherium (prehistoric giant ground sloth)
    • Ostrich
    • Raccoon
    • Rat
    • Turkey
    • Arctic wolf
    • Timber wolf
Interface
  • Added a row of colonist icons along the top of the screen, with various status info. They can be clicked to select, double-clicked to jump to, or box-selected to multi-select. These icons can be turned off.
  • Trading interface now lets you type in the number you want to trade instead of dragging to the number.
  • Animals tab now has gender and life stage informational columns
  • Animals tab now has a “slaughter” checkbox column to allow easy slaughtering of many animals
  • Animals tab now has checkbox columns for each trainable, to allow easy training of many animals
  • Reworked the right-click menu to be prettier, more readable, more solid, and better handle large lists of options.
Exploit solutions
  • Traders, visitors, raiders, kidnappers, animals, etc will now escape if surrounded by walls with no way out.
  • Manhunters and insects will attack doors if colonists try to hop in and out of them while getting shots off.
  • Hives must now be tended by insects, so if insects are all instantly killed by a turret wall, the hives will die out.
  • You can no longer avoid the ‘executed prisoner’ mood impact by just shooting or starving the prisoner; pawns will get a “prisoner died innocent” thought. A similar solution applies to the deaths of colonists.
  • Solved various powerleveling exploits. Once colonists have learned a certain (high) amount in a day, they’ll learn at a much-reduced rate until the next day.
  • Flowers are no longer good animal feed (reduced nutrition).
  • Fixed exploit where players would give prisoner to raiders for kidnapping, to make raiders go away without a fight. Solution: Raiders only kidnap colonists.
Other
  • Updated to Unity 5.
  • World generation is now part of the new game process, instead of being separate.
  • Roofs must now be manually built and torn down by colonists; they do not appear and disappear instantly any more.
  • Reworked AI food selection algorithm to take into account personal mood impacts, rottenness, and other new factors. e.g. Now cannibals will actually seek out cannibal food because they get a mood bonus, while non-cannibals will avoid it.
  • Flow for opening worlds and savegames from old version is now improved; the “warning, old version” dialog comes before you open them instead of after.
  • Deworked mods config menu to have a much nicer selection and ordering interface.
  • Humans can now eat unbutchered corpses (though they really don’t like it).
  • Infestations are easier and grow less exponentially.
  • Infestations only appear deeper underground now.
  • AI now runs away from grenades thrown by their own faction.
  • Tortoises aren’t so deadly any more.
  • Animals no longer do incest.
  • Humans now do incest.
  • Seeds for world gen are now generated from actual words instead of random letter strings.
  • You can now set both minimum and maximum skill on a bill.
  • Beauty trait now has four stages: Staggeringly ugly, ugly, pretty, beautiful.
  • Some backstories now force pawns to have a given trait (e.g. Model->Beautiful)
  • Trade caravans can bring pack dromedaries.
  • Projectiles fired by hunting colonists no longer intercept random targets.
  • Some traders buy and sell furniture now.
  • Gut worms and muscle parasites vanish sooner.
  • Reworked ancient tomb loot generation. Plasteel is sometimes found on pod people. So are components.
  • Nuzzling is now a visualized, recorded social interaction.
  • Various refactorings to make modding easier and code easier to maintain and more flexible. Much more functionality is now implemented as composable ThingComps.
  • Many, many, many other balance changes, gameplay and interface refinements, and bugfixes.
Tagged and categorized as: Uncategorized | 30 Comments | TrackBack URI
Steam release on July 15
Posted June 20th, 2016 by Tynan Sylvester
I’m stoked to announce that the next version of RimWorld, Alpha 14, will be released on Steam Early Access on July 15, 2016. You can add it to your Steam wish list on the RimWorld Steam page. On Steam, the game will have full Workshop support, for sharing mods and scenarios. It will also support Steam Cloud.

Non-Steam users will, of course, still be able to access your DRM-free downloads as you always have. They’ll update just as before.

EDIT: For those asking whether they’ll get a Steam key, please refer to the FAQ answer about this.

Alpha 14 is a large update, since it’s been several months since Alpha 13 and we’ve had 2-3 developers working continuously. So, it’s got about 5-6 developer-months of effort in it (the original pre-Alpha for the 2013 Kickstarter had about nine developer-months). However, it is also a refinement-oriented update. I could’ve packed more mega-features in addition to the scenario system, but instead chose to focus on fixing a lot of old issues. Veteran players will notice a huge number of subtle improvements at every level, which newcomers should have an even more polished experience.

I’ve also been reworking the code to try to support modding better. Making it easier to mod the game makes it more fun to mod, which modders like, so they make more and better mods, which players like. I think it’s a powerful and often under-emphasized way of turbocharging a game community. I’m still soliciting requests in this thread: What would make the game easier to mod?

Being Early Access, we’ll continue to release new alpha versions of RimWorld with new features into the foreseeable future. We’ve already started some new mega-additions for Alpha 15. We can’t squeeze them into Alpha 14 because it’s too late and they’d introduce bugs. But momentum is good and we’re poised to leap forward in the months ahead.

I’m also going to be doing something unusual, which is trying to actively market the game. I much prefer game development work to marketing work, and so have usually followed the Field of Dreams marketing strategy (“If you build it, they will come.”) But, for something as important as the Steam release, I think it’s worth making some effort to get the word out. Wish me luck! And, if anyone has any ideas for ways to spread the word, I’d be happy to hear them in the comments here, or on the forums.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
First colony; old guy with the most expertise dies within a few days due to a heart attack and now his pet cat is going on a rampage trying to kill the other two colonists.

:shredder:

Good start.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
Hardcore SK still hasn't been updated.

Only thing that would get me playing vanilla is if they allow the player to raid finally.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Somehow managing to survive a good while on my second attempt at a colony. Got a compound going, a few fields of potatoes growing and a shedload of turkey blood. (Turkey war; one of my colonists went insane and started stabbing a turkey to death, the other turkeys in the area retaliated and chewed off the guy's pinky finger before being subdued.) Crazy guy is still passed out in the stockpile.

IRsjoAb.jpg
Also survived a thunderstorm that nearly took my potato fields. Although to the north..

mNbXtGD.jpg

:shredder:

Beastro

Arcane
Game is pretty fun so far. I'm wondering, what are the must have mods?

There are so many it's best to look for modpacks and such.

Hardcore SK is good for adding complexity when you're tired of the vanilla quick start. In it it takes a long while to simple get electricity and such.

Combat Realism is good too.

The problem I find though is most of the good mods start to lag behind releases. It's been almost a year since I began waiting on a newer release for Project Armoury.

Looks like Combat Realism is done, modders sick of the way mods are being handled https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=9759.msg218529#msg218529:

Just uploaded the 1.6.5 release. It mainly updates melee weapons to A13 by adding bulk, weight and armor penetration stats to melee weapons. With this the mod is fully updated to A13 and out of pre-release. It is also the last update I will do as I am leaving Rimworld modding permanently.

With the complete lack of not only any real support for modding but even base consideration for it (almost every alpha brings with it new internal changes like making various public variables private, which does not affect the base game in any way but breaks mods and makes modding harder than it needs to be) and a number of smaller annoyances like the out of touch community management (Tynan unstickying genuinely useful threads such as well-maintained mod lists while leaving redundant ones up, complete lack of communication on issues such as the whole private variabls thing, that sort of stuff) modding Rimworld has become more of a hassle than it ought to be. At this point I just no longer have the motivation to deal with it all. The only thing keeping me was the fact I wanted to bring CR into a semi-complete state before I go. I did have plans for a melee combat overhaul before I go but since the loadout system took up more time than originally anticipated I have decided to can those plans.

Since people asked for it in the past I have uploaded the ODS sheets with all the weapon stats I used for balancing to github so anyone interested in making gun mods compatible with this can look up how the stats are calculated (keep in mind though, that while the sheets include data for Project Armory guns that data hasn't been updated since the last PA release and is heavily outdated). The zip file also includes my personal todo list where I still have a number of outstanding issues and plans for the future, in case anyone else decides to pick up this project (although somehow I don't see that happening).

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
Don't buy it off steam, buy it from his website. He'll get a bigger cut and you'll get a drm free + steam key for the same price.
Not anymore, at least for some time.
https://ludeon.com/blog/2016/07/steam-key-giving-stopped-for-new-buyers/
If you bought before today you can still get a key. However, I’ve been forced to cut off Steam keys for those bought today or after. We’ve been getting hammered by fraudsters who are obviously more experienced at this than I. Shutting it down for now is the only way to avoid thousands of dollars in lost sales. It’s time to take a breather.

The game is, of course, for sale on Steam if you want a Steam copy. Buying from our site will give DRM-free copies as before, but no Steam key.

All the stolen keys are being revoked, and should be deactivated before they can be sold. If you don’t want to get ripped off by fraudsters, be sure to buydirect from Steam.

If you bought direct from us before July 17 and find your key revoked, it may be due to a separate issue (affecting only a few dozen people). You should be able to get a new key immediately from the Steam key giver, and continue playing where you left off.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
You can buy through steam, copy the folder and play without DRM anyway. Doing that helps push Rimworld up the charts and might cause more sales in the long run. Gunpoint dev was asking people to buy through steam instead of direct from him for the same reasons.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
So far I don't like how melee was handled. Every fight can cripple you even most skilled pawns vs completely melee inept pawns. Random is ok but not to the point where skill level becomez irrelevant

Beastro

Arcane
So far I don't like how melee was handled. Every fight can cripple you even most skilled pawns vs completely melee inept pawns. Random is ok but not to the point where skill level becomez irrelevant

Yeah, I only stick to melee on the guys who get a ranged weapon malus and mostly use them guard my gunners and intercept anyone getting too close to them.

I usually play with a lot of mods that typically give new weapons, so my usual load out is heavily sniper rifles as well as machine guns. The former to pick off precisely like in vanilla, the latter to spray into hordes and mow em down and they usually had decent range for the higher end ones allowing you to cover siege camps. I only have a handful of assault rifle guys to do charge/CC stuff. Anything less than an assault rifle is typically too weak to be worth getting up close and risking them being hurt.

It's not like melee can;t be great, it's just the downside is too risky while with firearms you safely push and retreat so long as you're slightly acquainted with simple combat tactics.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Dwarf Fortress + Prison architect?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom