Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RimWorld - Damned Colonists in Space

Emily

Arcane
and the new quests...and the new research... and the new game dynamics with nobles... and the new powers pawns have... and the new furniture... and the new endgame and ways to get off the planet... and the new 1.1 update in itself..
See
and some minor flavors (items and so on)
Mostly of the content add on this dlc was be a mod at some point, some with better features than the ones implement in game. (Not that is a bad thing or anything to add then to the base game)

I get where you are coming from, but this is a very slippery slope type of thing that makes companies not support modding at all as it leads into this type of scenario

Mod called Rimworld of magic is a phenomenal mod that has the idea of abilities being tied to magic and stamina and adds bunch of classes.

However currently, there is a mod for every single thing in Rimworld.

He would just not be able to put any DLC if that was the case of him needing to be 100 percent original.

That said, the update 1.1 is completely free, and you can play any new mod (including Rimworld of Magic which is pretty much best ability mod out there) with it so i dont see the big deal.

And plus, nobody has yet played the new mod from start to finish.

thesecret1

Arcane
Are you retards actually mad about a dev releasing an expansion? This is not some shitty cut content repackaged as paid DLC like Paradox does, nor does it hide vital fixes behind a paywall. It's a normal fucking expansion like in the old days. Or did you also bitch when Tribunal came out for Morrowind?

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Waiting for the inevitable Dune mod now.
Luciferium being the special "spice" :lol:

However currently, there is a mod for every single thing in Rimworld.
He would just not be able to put any DLC if that was the case of him needing to be 100 percent original.
That said, the update 1.1 is completely free, and you can play any new mod (including Rimworld of Magic which is pretty much best ability mod out there) with it so i dont see the big deal.
And plus, nobody has yet played the new mod from start to finish.

Agree and indee, for me the mostly valuable that came from this is the improvements with the 1.1 update to the engine/code itself.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Good on the dev. The amount of life in the base game is already baffling, and the money is probably going more unique games (they've been hiring lately).

ChaDargo

Arcane
Prediction:
Mods will require this dlc
Piracy will become rampant
Mods will start detecting pirated copies
Pirated mods will appear

This isn't how modding works in Rimworld, and Royalty is just a mod. Other mods won't require this DLC unless they are a direct extension of its functionality. Unless a mod requires another mod's functionality, they are built solely to require Core. Then, if another mod is popular enough, you can create an additional mod that patches yours to fit the bigger mod. Look at Combat Extended.

And Royalty is nowhere near the comprehensive, fundamental changes made by Combat Extended.

ChaDargo

Arcane
Good on the dev. The amount of life in the base game is already baffling, and the money is probably going more unique games (they've been hiring lately).

Okay, Tynan ;)

Do you not like the game? If you don't, why post in this thread? If you do, why do you have this compulsion to shit on the dev or anyone who appreciates his work and his game?

ChaDargo

Arcane
If only Bethesda had fans like you guys, the switch from free mods to sold as actual products would have gone off without a hitch!

First, explain how Ludeon is going to force mods to be dependent on their Royalty mod. Or admit you were talking out your ass.

Then explain how Ludeon is going to start charging for Steam Workshop mods.

Finally, explain how Bethesda's products are even remotely comparable to Rimworld in terms of design quality, attention to detail, commitment to game development, support of the community, etc etc.

I'm not saying forced, but why wouldn't some mods depend on the new stuff he added? It will just split up the modding community. Like it already will with 1.1 patch. Now it's another long wait for mods to make the transition to 1.1 (which was my first thought when 1.1 was announced) but now there is a mod added on top of that to make stuff even more complicated/confusing. And if it has this amazing original content as you guys say, why wouldn't mod makers want to make use of the new content?

As many have commentated on the steam forums and in reviews for the dlc, this just seems like a bunch of polished mods released as payed content, and from what I know that is the policy of Bethesda. Releasing mod content as DLC.

Also. 17 Euros. That is the wildest of it all.

First, Royalty isn't required even if you purchased it. You can switch it off. Second, if anyone makes a mod that's a direct extension of its functionality... then of course you'll need it. But most mods are built off of Core. If the require compatibility with really popular mods, that's taken into consideration. Patches are a thing.

Royalty is nowhere near Combat Extended in terms of scope or depth of changes. There are dozens if not hundreds of mods that conflict with CE... so people release patches. Royalty is no different from any other large mod: if it becomes popular enough, modders can patch their shit if they get enough requests and want to do so.

I think the problem you're having is you think of it as an add-on to Core, as would happen in a lot of other games. But that's not the case.

I also don't think it has amazing original content, as I haven't played it yet. I'm saying look at mods like Save Our Ship, Androids++, Combat Extended, Rimfeller, the gigantic collection of mods that add up to Call of C'thulu experience. The list goes on and on. None of these have split the community or caused catastrophes. People pick and choose what they use, modders pick and choose what adjustments or patches to make for compatibility. Royalty is the same thing.

Rimworld is incredibly versatile in how it can be modded and in how its community mods it.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Alienman needs a dumbfuck tag.

Few hours in unmodded game with DLC, liking it quite a bit so far. There is much more added to the game with this DLC than what the summary would make you believe.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Enjoy paying up the ass for future DLCs then, I think it's you that should have a dumbfuck tag.

ChaDargo

Arcane
Alienman needs a dumbfuck tag.

Few hours in unmodded game with DLC, liking it quite a bit so far. There is much more added to the game with this DLC than what the summary would make you believe.

I think the problem is that he doesn't understand this:
y8lSMFk.png

Also, I just started my first colony with the DLC, unmodded as well. First thing I notice is there's no ancient danger as far as I can see (which is mandatory in map generation in vanilla?). I think I read this in the patch notes in 1.1, that they were making them more interesting. But then there's the second thing I noticed:

mbBdd9d.png

Fuckin graveyards ruins.

Last edited:

ChaDargo

Arcane
Enjoy paying up the ass for future DLCs then, I think it's you that should have a dumbfuck tag.

Oh no, they'll make premium mods in the future and I can choose to pay for them or choose to freely download the fan-made versions if they're better. And no modder makes his shit off of another mod unless that mod is badass and popular they use Core so any "premium" DLC by Ludeon won't change shit! AAAAAAAAAH!

Surely we live in the worst of :decline:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If only Bethesda had fans like you guys, the switch from free mods to sold as actual products would have gone off without a hitch!

First, explain how Ludeon is going to force mods to be dependent on their Royalty mod. Or admit you were talking out your ass.

Finally, explain how Bethesda's products are even remotely comparable to Rimworld in terms of design quality, attention to detail, commitment to game development, support of the community, etc etc.

I'm not saying forced, but why wouldn't some mods depend on the new stuff he added? It will just split up the modding community. Like it already will with 1.1 patch. Now it's another long wait for mods to make the transition to 1.1 (which was my first thought when 1.1 was announced) but now there is a mod added on top of that to make stuff even more complicated/confusing. And if it has this amazing original content as you guys say, why wouldn't mod makers want to make use of the new content?

As many have commentated on the steam forums and in reviews for the dlc, this just seems like a bunch of polished mods released as payed content, and from what I know that is the policy of Bethesda. Releasing mod content as DLC.

First, Royalty isn't required even if you purchased it. You can switch it off. Second, if anyone makes a mod that's a direct extension of its functionality... then of course you'll need it. But most mods are built off of Core. If the require compatibility with really popular mods, that's taken into consideration. Patches are a thing.

Royalty is nowhere near Combat Extended in terms of scope or depth of changes. There are dozens if not hundreds of mods that conflict with CE... so people release patches. Royalty is no different from any other large mod: if it becomes popular enough, modders can patch their shit if they get enough requests and want to do so.

I think the problem you're having is you think of it as an add-on to Core, as would happen in a lot of other games. But that's not the case.

I also don't think it has amazing original content, as I haven't played it yet. I'm saying look at mods like Save Our Ship, Androids++, Combat Extended, Rimfeller, the gigantic collection of mods that add up to Call of C'thulu experience. The list goes on and on. None of these have split the community or caused catastrophes. People pick and choose what they use, modders pick and choose what adjustments or patches to make for compatibility. Royalty is the same thing.

Rimworld is incredibly versatile in how it can be modded and in how its community mods it.

Just saying. Have fun fucking around with all that, and have fun waiting another 6 months to 1 year for all the mods to finally catch up again. It's already a cluster fuck searching for patches, making sure what mods work together and so on. Now we have to pleasure of matching DLC content to that too.

I have a hard time seeing how a payed DLC is exactly the same as any other mod compatibility-wise, because in the case of mods I can pick and chose whatever I like and match, without having to worry to pay anything, also I can try out shit free.

I also hardly believes this will be a one-off DLC to be released if it proves to be popular, and it seems you guys are willing to pony up 17 Euros for this content pack so I'm sure more stuff is coming. The future for Rimworld is going to be interesting.

ChaDargo

Arcane

Just saying. Have fun fucking around with all that, and have fun waiting another 6 months to 1 year for all the mods to finally catch up again. It's already a cluster fuck searching for patches, making sure what mods work together and so on. Now we have to pleasure of matching DLC content to that too.

I have a hard time seeing how a payed DLC is exactly the same as any other mod compatibility-wise, because in the case of mods I can pick and chose whatever I like and match, without having to worry to pay anything, also I can try out shit free.

I also hardly believes this will be a one-off DLC to be released if it proves to be popular, and it seems you guys are willing to pony up 17 Euros for this content pack so I'm sure more stuff is coming. The future for Rimworld is going to be interesting.

Let me help you, good sir. You seem retarded.
Jaxe [author] Feb 18 @ 12:02pm

Good news:
RimHUD has been updated to support RimWorld v1.1
but...
I won't be updating Steam at this current point in time due to a harmless error message for 1.0 users so I will wait until this is fixed by the game or when 1.1 is officially released, whichever comes first.

If in the meantime you would like to test the 1.1 version of RimHUD, it can be found here:
https://github.com/Jaxe-Dev/RimHUD/releases/latest

Here's another one, from Fluffy (just some random modder to you, right?):
@All; 1.1 made some dramatic changes that affect mod compatibility, notably an upgrade to a recent version of unity, and moving from .NET 3.5 (C# 3.0) to .NET 4.7.2 (C# 7.0).
At the very least, this means all my mods will have to be recompiled, and in many cases, I will also need to make some more meaningful changes.

1.0 VERSIONS OF MY MODS WILL NOT WORK ON 1.1
so please don't even try

So when will you update your mods?
I will be updating my mods over the coming week. New (pre) releases will be released on GitHub [github.com] .

Will 1.0/1.1 versions be on steam?
I will try to keep my mods on steam in sync with the current stable release. I do not want to maintain separate versions of my mods on steam, so I will not create new 1.1 entries for my mods, or leave 1.0 entries for old mods. Anyone who wants to be ahead or behind the curve can download my mods from GitHub.

I have a copy of Rimworld with over 100 mods. If I want to play them in the "6 months to 1 year" I'll be waiting (lol), I'll go over to that copy of Rimworld and play it.

"I have a hard time seeing how a payed DLC is exactly the same as any other mod compatibility-wise"

Exactly. You're having a hard time understanding how mods work in this fucking game. 1.1 is a change to core, that's the shitstorm if you can call it that. Royalty is a fucking mod like any other mod. The medieval mod, CE, LotR mods, Star Wars mods, etc etc. It doesn't change Core, which is what modders use to make their fucking mods unless they are deriving direct functionality from another mod (ie, making special force powers mods for a broader Star Wars mod).

ChaDargo

Arcane
Here's an interesting conversation between Orion and some fans about his mod, Hospitality, which may have become obsolete if what the DLC offers is better (there's some hospitality functions in the DLC but no one has seen them in practice yet).
5989dc1669039ba629a1008c66c5805acac42412.jpg

Orion [author] 42 minutes ago
I guess we'll find out. But it also won't be compatible with the new dlc.

easterngames
47 minutes ago
is this mod even necessary with the new dlc?

Orion
[author] 1 hour ago
@Trace Projectile: I will maintain it for the people who play without dlc. But I will probably not finish the feature I was working on (space visitors).

Snowfire
2 hours ago
i will just stay on the 1.0 branch till this awesome mod will be updated :)

Trace Projectile
5 hours ago
Your mod got Creation Club'd into the DLC, oof

Hospitality is a great mod. The DLC might offer something better. If it does and people like the other content the DLC adds, they'll pick the DLC and other mods that conflict can get patched. If people don't like the DLC, they can play Hospitality. This process has been going on for years with this game when it comes to updates to Core by Ludeon or big, new mods. You're just blinded because to you $$$ = EVIL SHIT IS HAPPENING.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Exactly. You're having a hard time understanding how mods work in this fucking game. 1.1 is a change to core, that's the shitstorm if you can call it that. Royalty is a fucking mod like any other mod. The medieval mod, CE, LotR mods, Star Wars mods, etc etc. It doesn't change Core, which is what modders use to make their fucking mods unless they are deriving direct functionality from another mod (ie, making special force powers mods for a broader Star Wars mod).

So everyone can use concepts and items from the payed DLC willy nilly without having to include the damn DLC compatibility in their mod? I know the difference between the patch and the actual DLC, but there is stuff in the DLC that might be of interest for the mod maker, like the whole psychic thing. I highly doubt mods will be able to use that without being required to actually list the DLC. Which means this DLC is a lot different from any other mod. Otherwise someone should just extract the files now and release Royalty as a free mod on workshop.

ChaDargo

Arcane

So everyone can use concepts and items from the payed DLC willy nilly without having to include the damn DLC compatibility in their mod? I know the difference between the patch and the actual DLC, but there is stuff in the DLC that might be of interest for the mod maker, like the whole psychic thing. I highly doubt mods will be able to use that without being required to actually list the DLC. Which means this DLC is a lot different from any other mod. Otherwise someone should just extract the files now and release Royalty as a free mod on workshop.

So if I like the aspect of Combat Extended that adds ammo but don't want to use Combat Extended, what do I do?

How is what you just said regarding Royalty different?

As for extracting the files and releasing them on steam, obviously that wouldn't work just as it wouldn't with any free mod. But what someone definitely could do is program their own version of various features the mod adds and release them as they please. Just as people have done by releasing Ammo mods. Or what have you.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
When did amount of time played suddenly play in? In that case 40 bucks for Disco Elysium is the worst purchase ever.
Nothing "suddenly" played in - getting hundreds of hours of quality entertainment out of a $30 (or $50) purchase is and always has been a good deal, any way you slice it. Characterizing Tynan as a cruel exploitative money-grubber is ridiculous on its face.

Implying that time:$ must therefore be the only metric for good value is equally ridiculous.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom