Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RimWorld - Damned Colonists in Space

Emily

Arcane
Btw pro tip:

IF they have bullet shields, or mortar shields, you can disable those with EMP strikes.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkking mods updating and breaking my game because then didn't made it retrocompatible with 1.0 :( 350+ mods :negative:
Damm u ludion for breaking muh saves :argh:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
You have to update it, like, once a year or two, when Tynan releases new version. Plus, even olded mods are being updated because RimWorld mod community is among the most active.

As for game, we still miss lung and kidney bionics, so you'll have to catch raiders to get lungs and kidneys. But with psionic powers it is easier to catch raiders and pinpoint main threats - meaning grenadeers and rocket launcher guys. I sometimes stun them or make them vomit and move in with pawns with clubs. I still don't want to add tranquilizer mods because that'll make game way easier.

Humanophage

Arcane
I had a mechanoid cluster with TWO INFERNO GUN TURRETS and barricades drop right at the entrance of my base. I had no mortars researched and that was gross. A note for future bases - buy at least one sniper rifle of ANY quality. This is the only thing, save for mortats, that can outrange new mechanoid long-range turrets.
I have had the following dropped on my base:
- 2 inferno turrets;
- 2 auto-mortars;
- 1 auto-charge blaster turret;
- 1 mini-turret;
- 1 factory that makes a centipede tank every day;
- 1 mood projector that gives -30 mood to men.

I have a bunch of sniper rifles, but they aren't much help against the tank because the rare hits only hit for about 4%. Micromanaging hit-and-run with the centipede is super-tedious, especially because of the strange delay between shooting and moving that I guess was added for balance, but which makes micromanagement even more infuriating but no less necessary. To be honest, I think I'll just drop the game for now because it feels like a ton of boring micromanagement for many minor tasks. Then all that tedium turns out to be for naught because you get even more tedium thrown at you that abolishes your previous efforts unless you engage with it. Meanwhile, the caravan that was sent to perhaps get some explosives decided to fall asleep and there is no way to force it to move. I actually found myself procrastinating turning the game on. Maybe I'll return later.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think I'll drop the game for now. Maybe I'll return later.
Are you still playing on "I dare you super maximum random ultra punishing ironman"
doyouevenlift.png
?

What you're describing sounds ridiculously unfun, and you mentioned before that others dictated your difficulty settings. If so, please say fuck you to them, and when you come back to the game, try playing on a level that is actually fun. Personally I'm more of a base builder type.

ChaDargo

Arcane
I think I'll drop the game for now. Maybe I'll return later.
Are you still playing on "I dare you super maximum random ultra punishing ironman"
doyouevenlift.png
?

What you're describing sounds ridiculously unfun, and you mentioned before that others dictated your difficulty settings. If so, please say fuck you to them, and when you come back to the game, try playing on a level that is actually fun. Personally I'm more of a base builder type.

I play on Randy Rough and haven't seen that level of attacks. Usually that amount of mech activity means you've built up a huge amount of wealth.

I totally agree about lowering difficulty to what you enjoy. Even at lower levels, shit happens. I also think Cassandra kinda sucks, which may be part of Humanophage's issue. Once you hit a certain wealth threshold she just anal rapes you for the rest of the game.

Humanophage

Arcane
I am playing on Randy Rough Tribal and was 90 days into the game. The rationale for the difficulty level is that I am a generally experienced player and fairly good at strategies, so I don't see why I shouldn't be able to take the same challenge as the regular Rimworld player, and Randy Rough seems like a popular choice. I was also playing in a favourable biome (small hills, river, reasonable temperature, shrubland), so I thought it'd be easier. Maybe this allowed me to advance too fast.

The problem with lower difficulties is that the real challenges don't happen, but the micromanagement troubles are still there to about the same extent. Almost any crisis happens because you forgot to switch zones, close a door, put an item somewhere, notice the change in temperature, or generally the pawn decided to do something completely unreasonable like follow a rabbit into a tunnel with bugs. So you end up with the same tedium, but without the fun moments and stories that justify it.

Maybe the solution in this situation with mechs was to just drop the base in haste and move to a different location. It's too late now. In the future, maybe I should try to keep the colony artificially small and poor, focusing on defences. That said, I had zero trouble with raider attacks or an infestation, so such a wipe came out of the blue. Which I guess is why it's Randy. Still, the issue isn't so much with the spike as with the tedious stuff I had to do to get to this point. E.g., I don't mind having a strong char in ADOM dying because it's fun to do a new and very different one, but I just feel tired thinking that I have to delineate all the zones again, fight off the initial hunger, etc. Maybe I should do the 3-colonist default mode for a change or the rich explorer.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Yeah, tedious stockpile management, even with a 100 mods, is why I usually stop playing by mid-game

ChaDargo

Arcane
Not me, I love setting up different warehouses and supply lines for various goods. Am I weird?

I'm in the same boat: I like the micromanagement and get bored when my base is too fortified and defended that I don't really have to do anything. Best game I ever played, I rushed to build the ship on a desert map. Lost half my dudes but got off the planet. Was very rewarding.

I also think part of the fun of the game is getting completely screwed, however. The crazy ways things can turn to shit are really fun to me, and the new features introduced in 1.1 and in Royalty are pretty fun. Also... I think there's such a thing as going overboard with mods (I've done so myself). Starting over in 1.1 with just RimHUD and Smart Speed and Royalty as my mods was very refreshing compared to one of my latest games with 100+ mods.

The thing I love about this game is how you can so intricately tailor it to the kind of experience you want. But if managing in a colony management game is a problem... I think maybe this game isn't what one should play.

ChaDargo

Arcane
I am playing on Randy Rough Tribal and was 90 days into the game. The rationale for the difficulty level is that I am a generally experienced player and fairly good at strategies, so I don't see why I shouldn't be able to take the same challenge as the regular Rimworld player, and Randy Rough seems like a popular choice. I was also playing in a favourable biome (small hills, river, reasonable temperature, shrubland), so I thought it'd be easier. Maybe this allowed me to advance too fast.

The problem with lower difficulties is that the real challenges don't happen, but the micromanagement troubles are still there to about the same extent. Almost any crisis happens because you forgot to switch zones, close a door, put an item somewhere, notice the change in temperature, or generally the pawn decided to do something completely unreasonable like follow a rabbit into a tunnel with bugs. So you end up with the same tedium, but without the fun moments and stories that justify it.

Maybe the solution in this situation with mechs was to just drop the base in haste and move to a different location. It's too late now. In the future, maybe I should try to keep the colony artificially small and poor, focusing on defences. That said, I had zero trouble with raider attacks or an infestation, so such a wipe came out of the blue. Which I guess is why it's Randy. Still, the issue isn't so much with the spike as with the tedious stuff I had to do to get to this point. E.g., I don't mind having a strong char in ADOM dying because it's fun to do a new and very different one, but I just feel tired thinking that I have to delineate all the zones again, fight off the initial hunger, etc. Maybe I should do the 3-colonist default mode for a change or the rich explorer.

I think maybe you're getting burnt out? I've been to a point where I just took a break because I had played too damn much and random shit was pissing me off. Also, I don't have much love for tribal starts. Only did it once actually. Maybe you're getting disproportionately wealthy in respect to your tech? I'm not entirely sure how to navigate a Tribal game given my lack of experience. Prepare Carefully is a great mod for customizing a start that might help things go more your way.

I don't really subscribe to the idea of being artificially poor (this only seems necessary on the highest difficulty and in really shitty conditions). I find it beneficial to make my base near a friendly base so I can dump a lot of my excess wealth. Actual items >>>> silver in terms of the wealth calculations AFAIK.

Micromanagement doesn't seem as important as planning in my experience. Work smarter, not harder ;)

In the end, though, there's nothing wrong with just being tired of how the game works. If you can't find mods or tactics or strategies or settings that please you, maybe the game just isn't for you. Nothing wrong with that. Or maybe you could just rack up the difficulty, make your situation hopeless, and expect failure and revel in the disaster. I've done that plenty of times when I got frustrated with my plans and it was refreshing.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I loaded this up again to test out the new DLC. Made the mistake of placing my base in a spot that is surrounded by impassable tiles and water. Apparently I can escape, but only if I research the right technology? At any rate, I haven't been attacked by anything other than maddened animals, so I guess this situation isn't entirely bad.

EDIT: Spoke to soon, got raided by savages.

EDIT: Made the mistake of opening up an old crypt, but managed to defeat the mechs inside with just the starting weapons. Then opened the cyropods and got some new weapons and people (after another close fight). Then... decided to attack some thrumbos or whatever those massive creatures are called. Bad mistake. Colony wiped.

I'll definitely play again, this time picking a spot where travel is possible.

Last edited:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I usually pick a sniper pawn and try to grab him charge lance eas early as possible especially to deal with mechs. Charge lance can penetrate and kill centipedes fast. Also I tried a bio-junkie with bionic legs and zeushammer - it just stuns mechs dead. You run to centipede and rip it to shreds. The most dangerous mechanoid for me is a lancer, it can shatter and shred any unprotected pawn in one shot. So I started to value devilstrand. Devilstrand shirt can be a decisive factor between organ being destroyed or heavily damaged.
My shooter with two archotech eyes can murder centipedes and turrets like raiders.

Emily

Arcane
Randy Savage decided to spawn 3 raids in a row which were fine but left my turrets a bit barren. And then sent 123 Scythes against my 60 colonists lol. They just proceeded to mow down everything in sight into minced meat.

RIP after 6 years of ingame time.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
This fucking game.

Last week I spend 300+ euros for a decent GPU. Comes with Xbox Game Pass for 3 months and Monster Hunter World and the upcoming Resident Evil 3.

All I have played the last week is Rimworld, and the last few days I played it using my CPU's integrated GPU because I switched out the wrong cable. And it all worked fine.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Will try to make a bionic freak, nimble with talons, venom fangs, knee blades etc. Basically a living weapon to strap it with shield and say RIP AND TEAR. Will see how it plays out.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You can't trust the royal tribute gang to do ANYTHING right in this game. I had a really promising young colony and these idiots showed up. They had fancy armour, weapons, etc, so I thought "I will go open up the haunted tomb thing, and then lock myself in my base while the royalists kill the mechanoids." Obviously a brilliant plan that would result in me getting new weapons from the dead royalists, and all the new gear and shit from within the tomb.

So basically the royalists were only able to kill the smaller mechs and the neeldegun pike thing. Two caterpillars proceeded to steam roll them, and then smash my base to pieces and murdered everyone. I am a real man so I play ironman style. Fuck this shit game

Beastro

Arcane
You can't trust the royal tribute gang to do ANYTHING right in this game. I had a really promising young colony and these idiots showed up. They had fancy armour, weapons, etc, so I thought "I will go open up the haunted tomb thing, and then lock myself in my base while the royalists kill the mechanoids." Obviously a brilliant plan that would result in me getting new weapons from the dead royalists, and all the new gear and shit from within the tomb.

So basically the royalists were only able to kill the smaller mechs and the neeldegun pike thing. Two caterpillars proceeded to steam roll them, and then smash my base to pieces and murdered everyone. I am a real man so I play ironman style. Fuck this shit game

I could see if the game bugged out or fucked your save where ironman would hit you the hardest, but...

You played ironman and then got mad when a huge risk didn't pan out?

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer

I could see if the game bugged out or fucked your save where ironman would hit you the hardest, but...

You played ironman and then got mad when a huge risk didn't pan out?

EA42mJJXYAEzxWF_(2).jpg

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
For my next game, I'm thinking of going back to the one-man rich explorer start. I used to prefer it, but since reinstalling the game I've been using the 3 man start because it makes the initial construction process faster.

I think I'll try making a brewery. Basically, I'll just build a lot of barrels, grow a lot of hops, and use the tech boost to build the communications and trade equipment. With the beer money and initial starting funds, I can just buy some slaves and set up an advanced and profitable colony.

If I get a starting unit with high mining or craft, I can just borrow into a mountain or build everything with bricks, making myself effectively immune to fire. I figure I just need 1 bedroom, one kitchen/stone cutter/wort room, one freezer room, and then a massively long room of barrels. Surrounded by automated turrets, of course.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
As for biofreak there seem to be a problem - all melee implants are rather useless for melee characters because weapons almost always top any implants you can add. But they are tailored for ranged guys and if have no sidearms mod, then when enemies reach you you will either hit them with weapons in melee, and all ranged weapons are shit in melee, or switch to most powerful attack, being for example power claw or retractable blade. But even with all that armor for melee pawn is a must. Even some basic stuff would do. With devilstrand\hyperweave\synthtread shirts and pants.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom