Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RimWorld - Damned Colonists in Space

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
So I decided to check it out after all the raving reviews and still not sure what to think of it. It's definitely a massive timesink with all the micromanagement of getting all the ingredients, food, etc. But if there was no micromanagement, there would be not much game left, so I suppose you have to like that. If I had to summarize it, I'd say it's Minecraft meets The Sims.

Also, the UI could be better. I have raw rice and a stove, but cannot figure out why they keep eating the raw rice instead of cooking it. What am I missing?
I also recommend going into food restrictions (I just change lavish instead of making new ones so new colonists default to the right shit) and disabling shit they shouldn't eat, like corpses, raw food (you can leave berries if thats convenient), and kibble. Otherwise your cook will wake up hungry, and instead of butchering and cooking the rhino your hunter brought in, will eat the raw rhino and throw a tantrum. Oh, and also disable ambrosia if you ever harvest any, so you don't fucking flowers for algernon your colony.

It's definitely a game of a million and one details that can fuck you up, but most of them are entertaining the first time around.

Like today when I discovered berries can cause food poisoning. To my caravan. Which can also contract malaria apparently. And thereby wipe out two thirds of my colony. Yay. Good to know foraging is totally fucking useless, even for a tribe when it's literally their only advantage.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So I decided to check it out after all the raving reviews and still not sure what to think of it. It's definitely a massive timesink with all the micromanagement of getting all the ingredients, food, etc. But if there was no micromanagement, there would be not much game left, so I suppose you have to like that. If I had to summarize it, I'd say it's Minecraft meets The Sims.

Also, the UI could be better. I have raw rice and a stove, but cannot figure out why they keep eating the raw rice instead of cooking it. What am I missing?

When you ask that question it tells me you haven't really worked out the basics of how to automate your colony (which I didn't either for a long time because it's kind of an arcane system). But basically, every "workbench" has recipies that you can adjust, both in terms of what to make, what ingredients are allowed to make them, AND how many they should produce. Once you "get it" you can set everything up so your peoples will do mostly automated stuff. The last one is notably useful for letting your dudes know to stop producing once they reach a certain threshold.

You can forgo a lot of the most annoying micro by taking the time to setting up each workbench to produce desired stuff only from desired components. It's basically the same system as when you set up what's allowed in a Stockpile zone.

For me, the most annoying micro is the fundamental building material upgrading and cleaning. For the first one, destroying walls, floors etc. to put up new stuff takes a million years and I bet something like 1/3 of a playthrough comes down to just doing that. For cleaning, I think it really highlights the game's core weakness, because it's not a matter of finding the right balance: since your colony changes so much over time, you have to adjust cleaning priorities for your guys all the damned time, especially once you start putting down "roads" between your buildings.

The worst part of this is keeping your cooking area clean. It's basically impossible to do automated. If you set up cleaning schedules to where your kitchen is always clean, you'll have "overcleaning" wasting your pawns time. But if you set up cleaning lower than that, your kitchen will constantly be too dirty, even with sterile tiles. It's annoying as fuck.

So as for your overall initial sentence about how the game wouldn't be there without micro... at least it's true that this is one of those games that is infinitely more fun, somehow, than what you actually do. Moment-to-moment gameplay is often even tedious, but seeing it all come together at those progress intersections is immensely satisfying.

Still, after a couple of playthroughs I find it really hard to start a new game. Even if I know I'll enjoy it once I've got a lot of the initial stuff setup, that initial phase is just mindnumbingly boring to me.

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For me, the most annoying micro is the fundamental building material upgrading and cleaning. For the first one, destroying walls, floors etc. to put up new stuff takes a million years and I bet something like 1/3 of a playthrough comes down to just doing that.
Dude the "Replace Stuff" mod is the most MUST HAVE mod ever. You will be saved from all that.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
For me, the most annoying micro is the fundamental building material upgrading and cleaning. For the first one, destroying walls, floors etc. to put up new stuff takes a million years and I bet something like 1/3 of a playthrough comes down to just doing that.
Dude the "Replace Stuff" mod is the most MUST HAVE mod ever. You will be saved from all that.

I want to, but it seems pretty cheaty. It saves A LOT of time.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron

Yeah but it improves a feature that , as you said yourself, is only a hassle. Of course you decide how to play your game :)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So I decided to fiddle around with replace stuff and... did they change the algorithm that gives you more chances to recruit people, specifically, transport pod drops in the expansion? In two test playthroughs I've been at 3-5 colonists for a ton of time and my only recruits have been from taking prisoners - prisoners which seem to take way more time to recruit and who are more prone to do bad shit.

I recall the opposite being the problem - getting to the cap so quickly raids could be overwhelming

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

I don't see how time saving is cheating. It's pretty much just an interface and convenience mod. Your colonists don't get an easier time, they still have to deconstruct a wall and then construct a new one in its place, but for you it's just one order rather than 2 orders in sequence.

Nijar

Novice
It equals cheating same as in using QualityBuilder or RT Fuse and lots of other mods. Meaning, it is not cheating... until you realize Rimworld often relies on being time consuming and tends to mask this feature as a challenge or level of difficulty.
Or to put it straight, Rimworld sucks at having an efficient UI and pace. Using certain mods helps do deconstruct this intended problem and, here we are again, it's kind of cheating because you don't have to deal with this shit anymore.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I guess after one run through of about 5-6 years I got tired of this game. Yeah, it's actually pretty well done in many ways.

It was fun to figure out the best defense system for the colony, how to structure it all, have 30 animals, make beer, and what not.

Destroyed 4 mechanoid bases - first one with an orbital strike, second and third spawned next to each other and were mostly taken out by a random caravan that stumbled on them.

Only the last one was hairy. Went with 6 people to pick up a core persona on a map that had a base, and lo and behold you can't leave the map without destroying the base. And the base had a bullet shield, so the snipers were not useful unless inside the shield. Lost one colonist who had a mental breakdown and started wandering. The rest also needed to be patched up. Good that I brought two good doctors with me and used the house as a field hospital.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some new stuff in a big update today. Nothing super crazy, mostly new magic powers and meditation to get mana back. Looks cool.

Perkel

Arcane
playing it atm. Installed some extra mods like having ability to shit and bathe, research tree overhaul, additional animals etc. Love the scenario editor with it and mod i can finally play sole survivor without anything and without technology. Heatwave management without tech is pretty hard but doable and getting your few first prisoners is crucial.

Colony died like 7-8 times.

1. Grizzly decided to feast on my dude. IT even broke doors and got to me.
2. Got plague.
3. Got so much sick due to poor food cooking skills that starved.
4. Got attacked by someone, managed to got him in traps but just before he died he stabbed my guy in neck.
5. Got one eye cut out via Otter, got second one from raid. Got into my own trap and died.
6. Chick got into own trap, got bodied heavily but survived and got savant trait. She didn't speak nor heard anything but had extra 50% of manipulation. Didn't really use it for anything because she got to close to cave spiders.
7. Run out of food in winter.
8. Pretty succesful run with 3-4 dudes but i got too haughty and decided to attack muffalo pack for meat and whole pack just descended on me like 10-12 of them.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
trolololo loverslab again bring the goods:

https://www.loverslab.com/files/file/7257-rimjobworld/

Features:
  • sex
  • genitals
  • sex need
  • prostitution
  • complex pregnancy system
  • basic human offspring
  • sexchange
  • bondage
  • rape
  • bestiality
  • STDs
  • many options to enable/disable/tweak features
  • and much more!
  • Necrophiliac - has fun with the dead, gained after 10+ sexacts and 50+% with corpses, restore focus with fucking corpses
  • Zoophile - likes animal company, gained after 10+ sexacts and 50+% with animals, restore focus with fucking animals
Time for my muhslime hermit and goats playtrough.

:troll::troll::troll:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
That's some tasteful content over there
1411087005_pegdicks.png.f9abe7f2277e0eafc9ca67bf029dccc1.png
250606589_RJW2.1.1Insects.png.09bb4a9555218e34e305d2a7c4731611.png
RJW2.8.0-juan.png.4b17668edc1e4f352358a589c1031ead.png

Perkel

Arcane
Well that was close. I got to winter with 3 survivors (starting from naked one) and i got really really low on food. Decided to go hunt Stalion. First arrow and they already started attacking my guy. He got quickly fucked up but since horse don't have claws and shit they just beat the fuck up him until he was not conscious. Then horse scourge started to raid my village. I had only 3 wooden traps and those mares were huge so only one mare went down while stalion and mare got past by it without issue.

Now the issue. One chick doesn't fight at all and second didn't have any weapon. So peace chik started to run away into house and just so happens by that mare got into door which means horses in house. They beat the fuck up both of them and started to run around the house.

I was marely ESC away from restarting when i got message that Mysterious Stranger decided to help me with my scourge problem. All fat all black with revolver and 10 in shooting. I opened door salvo from revolver and went back to outside after few salvos they got out and proceeded to beat up my fat savior, meanwhile my first guy who started whole thing got up. I decided to bunker down fat savior and wait for my first guy. Well only 15 hours to fix my first guy or death, 2 unconscious ones and barely living fat guy.

Got back to village with first guy, got revolver from fat guy. I sent fat guy to take brunt of attack on him while i would be shooting from behind him those horse demons. After a while both horse lied dead while fat guy was barely standing.

I spent almost month healing everyone, one dead from infection, I couldn't even clean anything for next 10-15 days and whole thing looked like slaughter house. Good thing it was winter so horse spawns were not rotten and provided food in that time.

If i didn't stock up on nearly 20 medicine, wood that would be the end of that run.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ I thought so too when I sat me down for some Rimworld tonight, but it seems like that update broke a ton of the greatest mods (including anything that depends on hugslib). SAD

Risewild

Arbiter
^ I thought so too when I sat me down for some Rimworld tonight, but it seems like that update broke a ton of the greatest mods (including anything that depends on hugslib). SAD
You have to try and find updated versions of those mods. A lot of older mods have been patched up for 1.2, but not by the original authors. So you have to search for the mod's name on Steam workshop (mainly) and get the unofficial updated versions instead.

It's annoying but there's not a better solution.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You have to try and find updated versions of those mods. A lot of older mods have been patched up for 1.2, but not by the original authors. So you have to search for the mod's name on Steam workshop (mainly) and get the unofficial updated versions instead.

It's annoying but there's not a better solution.

I can't see an updated version of hugslib or replacestuff, just examples

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Hugslib and replace stuff have both been updated and are on the Steam workshop.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hugslib and replace stuff have both been updated and are on the Steam workshop.

I guess I r dumb. Can't see them though - both the versions I see have a bunch of comments with problems on the new patch. Will look when I get home

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
This is a good game. Especially with mods. Installed around 30 of them now.

Question: What is the best way to incapacitate attackers without killing them? Are the tazers from that mod any good for that? I was thinking that something small caliber and small damage per hit (minigun) may do the trick instead of large caliber and large damage, but it seems to make no difference.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom