Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RimWorld - Damned Colonists in Space

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Well it's not like they specifically come to raid you to avenge their mates or anything, but those organ-donors can show up in future raids again, which is kinda hilarious. They can also show up on slave-trader ships or in slave-caravans. Imagine what they must've gone through and now they're back in your colony.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I started a tribal game and shuffled the members until they were all gay men. We started with a cat, a roided up wolf, and a Yorkshire Terrier named Tequila. We worked hard to build a place in a nearby cliffside with some wide open space and then a few choke points where we could fend off raiders. So far I've just got the house, but it's growing slowly.

Research into new stuff took a long time, and I imagine it will take even longer to build useful electric machinery, because I need components and apparently have no way to get them. I'm on 4/5 difficulty, I think, but I chose Phoebe Chillax mode, so not that much happens just yet, but what does happen is pretty exciting.

The first or second raid on my place had three armed nasties, two of whom had pretty good guns. So I gathered my whole tribe and huddled them up at one entrance, and then ambushed the fuckers up close. We killed all of them and took their guns, which made defense and hunting a lot easier.

I think before that encounter, I let in a traveling nudist shaman named Orange Olga. She has good social and research skills, so she spends a lot of time with the chief, who also does wardening and research stuff, but they've managed to piss each other off. Two other tribe members fell in love and fuck each other most nights.

The weakest link is some old guy named Red Cat, who mirrors real life old gays as envious and not accepting of reality. He's become so pissed so often that some other guy wouldn't allow his repeated advances that he has fits and runs around naked outside like clockwork. This has continued after the guy who was rejecting him died.

A wolf killed Tequila, so I beat up the wolf and tamed it to take Tequila's place. Before it was successfully tamed it ran around in circles all night in the room where those two guys were fucking. I also tamed a rat and a grizzly bear and maybe something else.

Unfortunately the winter is taking its toll in the boreal forest, and everyone is depressed because that one guy died. There was also a period wherein I forgot to hunt for more animals, so we're currently low on food, but I think we will recover. I expect maybe one or two more losses due to disease, but mostly we may be alright. After that, though, I'm not sure what we'll be able to do. I'll have more time to plant crops and more space to store stuff, but the slow pacing of random events is making it tough to make any progress. After all, it seems like I can't make any components on my own, and nobody is around to sell them to me or drop them from the sky. But life goes on.

This game is a lot of fun.

kris

Arcane
After all, it seems like I can't make any components on my own, and nobody is around to sell them to me or drop them from the sky. But life goes on.

This game is a lot of fun.

if you got somewhere to dig. Compressed machinery will give you components.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Do you mean I might be able to mine and find components, or do I have to dig into the ground somehow?

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Alas, my entire tribe got wiped out. Some of it was just because they couldn't handle the harsh winter, but mostly I think the game needs some balancing related to mood. Everyone was going berserk because someone died. You'd expect some Native American-like tribe would be able to accept risk and death a bit better than this. Everybody went fucking nuts. It ended up like some slasher film, although humorously, the finishing blows were dealt by my cat Brunhilda, who went "maneater," as the game calls it.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, the "insanity spiral" can be a pain in the ass. Barely survive some disaster, but in the aftermath someone is sad and ends up killing the colony anyway, not great gameplay or storytelling. Should be temporary mood boosts for "survived robot attack" etc.

Johannes

Arcane
Yeah, the "insanity spiral" can be a pain in the ass. Barely survive some disaster, but in the aftermath someone is sad and ends up killing the colony anyway, not great gameplay or storytelling. Should be temporary mood boosts for "survived robot attack" etc.
Bullshit, the uncontrollable spirals are what makes the game entertaining both gameplay- and storywise. That you get ups and downs instead of just a linear romp to a bigger and better fort all the time.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bullshit, the uncontrollable spirals are what makes the game entertaining both gameplay- and storywise. That you get ups and downs instead of just a linear romp to a bigger and better fort all the time.
Uncontrollable events I don't mind, but triumphing over a difficult challenge and then losing anyway because you took a couple losses and your people are sad is ... eh.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
It's fine though, since mental-break spirals are usually something that can be prevented. It's seldom a single reason people go berserk, oftentimes its a multitude of things that piss off people. Couple that with the higher difficulties not having any mood-bonuses and the fact that some people are wired to break sooner than others (neurotic/depressed/too smart/abrasive are traits you should avoid like the plague). If you have someone like that in your colony and he's not married or finding a lover rather quickly, get rid off them.

Angthoron

Arcane
I discovered that digging up a LOT of graves will spare you a lot of eventual grief. Like a lot of graves.

Also horseshoe thing. And some kind of a rec room.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, the stone coffin thing adds beauty. If a colonist you like dies, try it out.

Beer is very helpful for increasing mood. Just make sure you have someone to clean up the vomit.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Long-term mood penalties for losing a friend/an animal or someone else are too harsh IMO. They should be there, ofc, but I'd introduce faster detoriation rate.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Well, the stone coffin thing adds beauty. If a colonist you like dies, try it out.

Beer is very helpful for increasing mood. Just make sure you have someone to clean up the vomit.

To be fair, getting large amounts of beer was way too easy. You could also just wall-in animals, even Thrumbos, with a stack of beer and instead of smashing in the walls to escape once it gets hungry, it would drink the beer instead. Once it passed out from the alcohol, you could tear down those walls for an easy kill on it or just wait until it actually starved.

Beastro

Arcane
You can also build crematorium and solve all your corpse-related problems.

I prefer to put up the hassle of graves by covering my entrance with them. It's funny to see the enemy charge over a graveyard that they'll soon find themselves in.

That or I designate buildings around the map made of worthless materials like sandstone as rotted corpse only piles and fill them up as treats for people to wander across.

Johannes

Arcane
You can also feed your animals with enemy corpses without a problem. Just have a room animals have access to, but where people won't need to go to. Ideally you have a psychopath haul in the new bodies.

Johannes

Arcane
And actually a much simpler way, and works even if you don't have carnivore animals, and regardless of how many corpses ther are - incinerate the corpses by hand. Gather them up and then fire at them with incendiary launcher or molotov's.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Had toxic fallout, which killed all animals and sauces of meat, then followed by a cold snap, which wiped my plantations. the colony managed to survive because raiders appeared and meat was back on the menu.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
are there any good mods for the newest version? I only know that the community core library is still on v14 and the combat one was discontinued.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom