Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rise to power-is that what all rpgs are about?

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
you begin adventure as weakling and as you advance you become more and more powerful. you acquire new armor, new sword. you beat your enemies and often find less equipment in them than you already have. you ascend and become formidable foe. is that what all rpgs are about? rising to power?

or is it about importance of friendship and having fun while saving the world?

if we are to play rpgs we must find their meaning.

also what kind of music do you listen while playing rpg and do you read some novel alongside to enhance the mood?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
If we get an RPG where we decrease in power as time goes on, it's still going to be an RPG, so no. While it's good to look for repeating patterns in genres, this is not it.

Deleted Member 16721

To me they're just about immersing yourself in an alien world and using your imagination to enjoy it. It's like getting lost in a fantasy world from a good book. Progression is a natural part of the story but it's more about the journey, not the destination. We need more RPGs like Morrowind!

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Numbers and letters what more do you want
honkhonk.png

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's definitely a big part, though it depends on the person HOW big a part. I'd say for me exploration, choice and consequence and at least mildly tactical combat are just as important. I keep playing RPGs long after I am powerful enough to kill everything easily, assuming the story/world/combat is still enjoyable.

Theldaran

Liturgist
I suppose you like to get poorer and poorer?

If that's so, then you have it easy.

I consider that concept to be bad at playing both life and RPGs.

Old D&D played as a contest of merits: only the characters that were played scrupulously, without doing stupid things, and had a bit of luck survive to upper levels, and hoard enough treasure (that you have to take from the cold hands of monsters or other humanoids most often than not, mind you).

Answering your question, RPG music is often good enough. About novels, a novel would distract me from the game. Games like Ravenloft II or KOTOR2 are usually engaging enough to not miss anything.

Norfleet

If we get an RPG where we decrease in power as time goes on, it's still going to be an RPG, so no. While it's good to look for repeating patterns in genres, this is not it.
You mean like an RPG where your character is the character from the previous game, only now he's at level cap and only gets old from there?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Maybe. Or he's a veteran from a war who was cursed and is losing his memories/experience and must break the curse.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
To me they're just about immersing yourself in an alien world and using your imagination to enjoy it. It's like getting lost in a fantasy world from a good book. Progression is a natural part of the story but it's more about the journey, not the destination. We need more RPGs like Morrowind!

I thought you were going to make it?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
My enjoyment of a rpg surely declines when I hit the level cap. So yes, it's important to me.

That's why I hate arbitrary level caps like in first Baldur's Gate and much prefer natural level cap like the one used in Gothic games (exp is finite but you can get every last drop of it).

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
To start at nothing and gradually make something of ourselves which has actual value. To perform actions that hold meaning and relevance. To eventually become a god among men so you can look down and say, I used to be an adventurer like you till I ascended to fckn Godhood.

Unlike real life where we live, suck cock and die.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom