Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 2 E3 Gamespot preview

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6318269/e3-2011-risen-2-dark-waters-updated-impressions-preview

Not much new, but here's the stuff I hadn't heard about:

Oberlerchner also showed off the hero's base of operations: his very own pirate ship. Here, players can either save or travel to different islands in a heartbeat by conversing with the ship's helmswoman Patty.

So you get your own ship. :thumbsup: What has me worried though is the "Here, players can either save...", maybe it's just me but it seems to imply that the ship is some kind of checkpoint? Probably just the journalists misunderstanding though.

Another good feature to point out in this build includes the ability to recruit companions for your ship. As the hero fought for his life, he was assisted by pirate Steelbeard who was an expert in close-quarters swordfighting

Companions! I just hope they are as well written and lovable as the ones we have all come to enjoy from Bioware games :roll:

Some major letdowns here:

Thankfully, Oberlechner said that Risen 2 will be a little easier than the first game, with the first few hours of the game introducing many incentives to power up your character and the hard parts to come in later.

It should also be noted that all of these fights took place in incredibly lush jungles with beautiful waterfall vistas. Furthermore, Oberlerchner said that the PC version need only modest PC requirements and will stick to using DirectX 9.

Yep :lol:

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm all for making the beginning easier. This is correct game difficulty curve. Gothic series go from hard to easy, let's hope it doesn't go from easy to easier. And I'm guessing easier = player can take more hits.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
Mighty Mouse said:
I'm all for making the beginning easier. This is correct game difficulty curve. Gothic series go from hard to easy, let's hope it doesn't go from easy to easier. And I'm guessing easier = player can take more hits.
plus reviewers don't get farther than the beginning anyway so at least nobody will complain about difficulty this time

lightbane

Arcane
They could do like in Divinity 2, it starts with a retard-friendly, tutorial-like village, but when the game starts for real it takes the gloves off, you can be killed the moment you step into Broken Valley (and pretty frequently if you're not careful).

bat_boro

Arcane
So I guess Lena Headey is in... YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Sadly I went from YYYYEEEEAAAAHHHH RISEN 2 BITCHES!!

to: *Cautiously fapping* um yeah.... Risen 2....

Renegen

Arcane
It looks a lot like Fallout 3. Several tabs (I assume that's what the german is), you scroll down to the item you want.

Don't forget the shittyness of the Fallout 1&2 inventory!

Alex

Arcane
I really hope the game doesn't pause while you are perusing items or using them. That was one of Gothic's great ideas since the beginning.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Kraszu said:
J_J_M said:
Inventory looks consolized.

http://www.worldofrisen.de/images/galle ... 7cff2d.jpg

What the fuck Piranha Bytes, didn't you learn anything from Arcania?

PB didn't make Arcania.
So? Is that a reason not to learn from its mistakes? The problem is that PB probanly did learn from all those consolized aRPGs. Damn, the last studio I like taking steps down the road to "fuck you! you used to be good but you sold your souls to the suits and now all you've got to offer is consolized shit!". Luckily, considering what I know about Risen2, they're overall still some ways off.

Arlborn

Novice
I'm cautious about it but hopeful, I really want this to be good but I'm not liking some of the things said.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Fuck video games.

I liked Risen, I really did. It's not quite up there with Gothic 2, but it does a lot of things better, and it's damn close overall. But this... sounds like an all too familiar tale.

It might still be good, but... seriously, fuck it, give us another market crash already.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Jaesun said:
Sadly I went from YYYYEEEEAAAAHHHH RISEN 2 BITCHES!!

to: *Cautiously fapping* um yeah.... Risen 2....

Pretty much my reaction also.

Excidium said:
J_J_M said:
Inventory looks consolized.

http://www.worldofrisen.de/images/galle ... 7cff2d.jpg

What the fuck Piranha Bytes, didn't you learn anything from Arcania?
Still looks much better than the Witcher 2 inventory, at least.

Yeah but Witcher 2 inventory was designed for consoles, so it's hard not to beat that.

torpid

Liturgist
I'm starting to see the little code words and next-gen catchphrases when they talk about this game... The signs are getting worrisome. For now I'll just ignore it because I WANT TO BELIEVE

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom