Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 3: Titan Lords

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I can't argue if Risen 2 is shit or not since I have not played it, but you seem to think that when a game is shit that it's entirely the devs fault. I agree that they carry a big responsibility for their game, but publishers can carry an equal or greater responsibility, depending on what kind of publisher they are. Sometimes they rush games out the door just like that. A man in a suit comes into the office and talks with the project lead: "by the way, how's that game coming along? Because it's hitting the shelves tomorrow". It's not an unheard of situation. Then there are big publishers like EA and Activision that have a check list of features, mechanics and story elements that have to be in the game before they will consider investing money in it. Stuff that they consider as elements that will guarantee sales. It sucks shit for the people making games, but the only other option is unemployment. Looking for a new job in the software biz isn't easy since it can quite usually lead you to moving to a completely new country. That's not easy for people with established families and friends.

The main point is that publishers have most devs by the dick and the other options aren't too great. I guess you could try for crowd funding, but you aren't gonna get mega bucks unless you already have a company, names and nostalgia to back you up.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
I can't argue if Risen 2 is shit or not since I have not played it, but you seem to think that when a game is shit that it's entirely the devs fault. I agree that they carry a big responsibility for their game, but publishers can carry an equal or greater responsibility, depending on what kind of publisher they are.
As I said: it was Piranha Bytes' staff that wrote the game, not Deep Silver's demands. It's not like that Pranha Bytes was obligated to do 100% what Deep Silver demanded, and had a field of maneuver. They could push their concepts, ideas and such, they could negotiate - if they didn't, they apparently were really ok with the state of the game they were making and finally had released.
The main responsibility is always the developer's, as they are literally making the freaking game. Publisher can influence and force some things, but let's not be ridiculous, their part in the development process is much smaller than developer's. They only give cash (and the budget of Risen 2 was the biggest of ANY Piranha Bytes' game up to date), pack and ship the game.
Unless, of course, Deep Silver's contracts said that PB's staff will work in North Korea's death camp with no food and daily tortures. Then their responsibility for the state of the game is bigger than developer's, but I don't think Deep Silver is a communist centralist state with its own death camps.

Jaesun, mind yer words or i suck yer dick with teeth:rpgcodex:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Lemme solve this argument: both developers and publishers are responsible for bad products. Peace.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gothic 1 and 2 were programmed in a house by a bunch of passionate people who genuinely loved what they were doing. Then they gave it a shot at the AAA market and bit more than they could chew, result? Gothic 3, a good yet flawed game (for whatever reasons) and the decline began.

Not many, if none at all, of the original PB team remains, so this debate is pointless as we're all seeing in which direction they're going (multiplataform, mainstream, accessibility, etc, etc) Even if they tackle a new Gothic game it will probably be a lot more closer to what Risen 2 was than to G1 or G2.

So replay and enjoy the first two Gothics, people :salute:

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Just spotted this link on Twitter.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Spiel...061040/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Whatever the case, Piranha Bytes defiantly seem in a hurry to prove themselves. Let's hope this time they get the combat right......hah!

Here is a translation if either you or your browser are too lazy :P:

"When working at Piranha Bytes to a third part of the series with the Risen pirate theme? After a company on Facebook boasted to provide the music for the previously unknown game, Piranha Bytes has denied any cooperation - but not the existence of the game.

A quickly removed post on the Facebook page of Dluxe Media, part of Göttingen explained proudly: "Risen 3 with music by us, the new installment of the successful computer game saga Risen is equipped currently with music from our spring!." Was presented as Dluxe Media was involved in games like Kane & Lynch 2 and next to the message and a logo of Risen 3, it looked like such a secure confirmation of the third part of the series.

But Michael Rüve Piranha Bytes reported in person at the forum of Worldofplayers speak and denied. "The company I do not know - I've made no contract with those Had it been so, however, they would release him now, and it completely whether we are now working on Risen 3, 5 or Gothic Humipumpi 1 would be. "

This statement, however, does not deny the existence of the game itself and even a contract with Dluxe Media, the example, a publisher might have concluded, is also conceivable. Why Dluxe media should publish such a report, including Games logo if there is no business relationship or there would be otherwise very mysterious."

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Knock on the head, classic amnesiac kleptomaniac mode engaged (replaying Gothic 2, i just realized how much of a loot game this really is).

Captain Shrek

Risen 3: Steaming shit EDIT: I just realized that this will be seen as KKK garnering effort. DISCLAIMER: Purely personal opinion.

Regdar

Arcane
I'm more interested in what overlay he's using to monitor GPU temps in the video.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Knock on the head, classic amnesiac kleptomaniac mode engaged (replaying Gothic 2, i just realized how much of a loot game this really is).

Playing it now too, first time with the expansion and the last time I played it is almost 10 years ago. Having no limit to your inventory space really makes you want to loot EVERYTHING.
And the fact that beating up people in the city is okay as long as they're alone and you use the oblivion spell on them afterward makes me go around trying to catch people alone on the street or in their houses at night just so I can beat them up for dat XP.

Gothic 2 really makes you behave like an antisocial asshole most of the time. It's pretty cool that the game reflects this by giving you lots of asshole dialogue options.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Wake me up when that kickstarter thing will end up with shitty games being released and when butthurt spreads in this forum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom