Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 3: Titan Lords

Perkel

Arcane
Quest: Pull down your pants Glory + 50

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
Pull the lever was good, but nothing will beat approaching the fortress on Calador for the first time. A brief walk along a path - in Risen 3 makes up for 6 or 7 quests, for every stop with the NPC that's guiding the character.

This game is a fucking joke, but not funny.

Ivan

Arcane
are all islands so linear? jesus. that opening on the boat was so bad. popamole games ARE made of those moments but they polish them up. here, idk what this is.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
are all islands so linear? jesus. that opening on the boat was so bad. popamole games ARE made of those moments but they polish them up. here, idk what this is.

Eh, it gets better not that much. I strongly suggest you to pass and forget DLC islands and lower difficulty before friggin sea battles.
Another suggestion I can make is playing as a mage. They have nice melee combat move wise.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
No, the game, eh, opens up a little after the introduction sequence in the act when you choose your guild. You can clear out questlines for them on random and travel between islands whenever you want, if I recall correctly.
Well, except an invisible wall in the middle of Calador, because the other part of the island is the end-game area, so you know - except figuring out a smart way to block the player out, PB did what a real Gothic game would do. They put the invisible wall across the river you will never be able to cross until the next act starts.

Overall, this game is trash and not worth any hassle. Even the magic system functions like melee, only with a bigger hit range. So, if you're after Gothic's magic Circles, you won't find it there.

I'm told the combat system is very similar to the Batman games, so it's possibly also worth a look if you like superheroes.

It's pretty much a straight up copy of Batman games combat, except in Shadow of Mordor you're even more OP than Batman. Upgrades eventually make you godlike and stacking up combos to ridiculously high numbers is easier. Still, fun enough for a popamole sandbox. Definitely better than anything from Ubisoft.

Doktor Best

Arcane

It gets better. On highest difficulty with potion cooldown and no invincibility on dodgeroll the game gets quite challenging until you become overpowered halfway in. Areas and fractions are okayish, better than in Risen2. Wannabe popamole nature is present the whole game though.

Morrorwind is clearly the better game. Have fun with it!

Falksi

Arcane
And what about Risen 2 ? Playable after 1 ?

Personally I love Risen 2, much prefered it to 1 & 3. It's more polished and action orientated than 1, and much less boring quest & dialogue wise than 3.

The main characters & humour are superb. Patty, Bones and the Gnomes all have some brilliant dialogue, and overall I found the dialogue very entertaining.

I played using a gun instead of Voodoo (so *minor spoiler * didn't align with the natives), and it made for fun run & gun style gameplay. So would suggest baring that in mind when you try games play styles.

A 9/10 experience for me. Definitely flawed with various mechanics which simply work poorly, but a lot if that fades into the background simply coz there's so much fun to be had.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
In Risen 2. playing voodoo, I hit a main quest bug which made me repeat quite a few hours of the game. So be warned!

Kahr

This game is a fucking joke, but not funny.
I had to laugh the whole way through Risen 2 or 3. Everytime the story continues it just gets so funny.
Or the bosses. You really can't say the bosses aren't fun.
EPIC BOSS BATTLE. Throwing a spear in there.:lol:

Lol Risen 2/3 spoilers:
Mara comes out of nothing, kills the Pirate guy. Mara disappears again. WHAT A TWIST LOL
Or the guy that betrays you in Risen 3, who had planned EVERYTHING in advance :lol:

These games are comedy gold. If you can laugh about :retarded:.

Jinn

Arcane
So I got Risen 3 for $1 on the new humble bundle. Mainly I decided to give it a try because of this Risen 3 Real Enhanced Edition Mod that seems to tweak a lot of the things Roxor had issues with in his review. I know it's not going to be able to redeem the many flaws of this game, but I wanted to see if it made it at least decent. Has anyone ever tried it?

Mr. Eko

Novice
Started last week with this mod. It seems that some aspects of game are more enjoyable now. Haven't delved long enough to judge properly yet. But you simply can not unfuck combat system with any kind of moding, only recoding that thing from scratch can unfuck it (among other things). It seems that human and animal AI is behaving in a more interesting way than before, also seems that he somehow made parry more interesting and clever to use because he tweaked player and enemy combat actions-reactions to certain extent - now you have to either put it up when it's needed then release it and attack or evade, or put it up then super-roll and attack; you can't hold parry and attack, you need to release it in order to attack. If I remember correctly, before you could hold parry as long you want and hit when you wanted without releasing it, only strong enemy attack could maybe break your parry. He did few interesting things that might make combat and game in general more enjoyable.

Jinn

Arcane
So I've played a couple hours with this mod and have to say I'm actually having a pretty good time. I don't know how bad Risen 3 vanilla was, but I can imagine how shit it was and am really impressed with what this mod has achieved in terms of difficulty and re-balancing. I've been getting the absolute shit beaten out of me by all types of enemies and have been enjoying the exploration so far.

I would definitely recommend people try Risen 3 with this mod installed. Especially those who have been eyeing up that bundle and wonder "is it even worth the time I'll invest in it?" That being said, I'm only at the beginning of the game, so it certainly still has plenty of time to enter a nosedive. Would love to see some impressions of others who try it out.

Jinn

Arcane
I've hopped around a few islands to find the faction that I was most drawn to. I'm thinking the Demon Hunters. I quite like Calador so far. Still waiting for the decline to creep on me.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
They are all bad games, unless you don't care about combat and gameplay and then you might like walking around and talking to people.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Good hyperbole. Dialogue in the Risen games is some of the best there is. Just funny and non pretentious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom