Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Risen 3: Titan Lords

Discussion in 'Piranha Bytes' started by toro, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Elwro Arcane

Elwro
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    1. Wait 2 years. Then try 3 -- it's better than many people say.

^ Top  
  2. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    nobody reads them

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    And what about Risen 2 ? Playable after 1 ?

^ Top  
  4. Barnabas Self-Ejected Patron Shitposter

Self-Ejected
    Angry Joe really hates the risen series watch his reviews for good time

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    Personally I love Risen 2, much prefered it to 1 & 3. It's more polished and action orientated than 1, and much less boring quest & dialogue wise than 3.

The main characters & humour are superb. Patty, Bones and the Gnomes all have some brilliant dialogue, and overall I found the dialogue very entertaining.

I played using a gun instead of Voodoo (so *minor spoiler * didn't align with the natives), and it made for fun run & gun style gameplay. So would suggest baring that in mind when you try games play styles.

A 9/10 experience for me. Definitely flawed with various mechanics which simply work poorly, but a lot if that fades into the background simply coz there's so much fun to be had.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Elwro Arcane

Elwro
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    In Risen 2. playing voodoo, I hit a main quest bug which made me repeat quite a few hours of the game. So be warned!

^ Top  
  7. Kahr Guest

Kahr
    I had to laugh the whole way through Risen 2 or 3. Everytime the story continues it just gets so funny.
    Or the bosses. You really can't say the bosses aren't fun.
    EPIC BOSS BATTLE. Throwing a spear in there.:lol:

Lol Risen 2/3 spoilers:
    Show Spoiler
    Mara comes out of nothing, kills the Pirate guy. Mara disappears again. WHAT A TWIST LOL
    Or the guy that betrays you in Risen 3, who had planned EVERYTHING in advance :lol:

These games are comedy gold. If you can laugh about :retarded:.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Let's not forget the classic-
    Patty: Boohoo.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    So I got Risen 3 for $1 on the new humble bundle. Mainly I decided to give it a try because of this Risen 3 Real Enhanced Edition Mod that seems to tweak a lot of the things Roxor had issues with in his review. I know it's not going to be able to redeem the many flaws of this game, but I wanted to see if it made it at least decent. Has anyone ever tried it?

• Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. jarmaro Arbiter

jarmaro
    Not worth it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Mr. Eko Novice

Mr. Eko
    Started last week with this mod. It seems that some aspects of game are more enjoyable now. Haven't delved long enough to judge properly yet. But you simply can not unfuck combat system with any kind of moding, only recoding that thing from scratch can unfuck it (among other things). It seems that human and animal AI is behaving in a more interesting way than before, also seems that he somehow made parry more interesting and clever to use because he tweaked player and enemy combat actions-reactions to certain extent - now you have to either put it up when it's needed then release it and attack or evade, or put it up then super-roll and attack; you can't hold parry and attack, you need to release it in order to attack. If I remember correctly, before you could hold parry as long you want and hit when you wanted without releasing it, only strong enemy attack could maybe break your parry. He did few interesting things that might make combat and game in general more enjoyable.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    So I've played a couple hours with this mod and have to say I'm actually having a pretty good time. I don't know how bad Risen 3 vanilla was, but I can imagine how shit it was and am really impressed with what this mod has achieved in terms of difficulty and re-balancing. I've been getting the absolute shit beaten out of me by all types of enemies and have been enjoying the exploration so far.

I would definitely recommend people try Risen 3 with this mod installed. Especially those who have been eyeing up that bundle and wonder "is it even worth the time I'll invest in it?" That being said, I'm only at the beginning of the game, so it certainly still has plenty of time to enter a nosedive. Would love to see some impressions of others who try it out.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    I've hopped around a few islands to find the faction that I was most drawn to. I'm thinking the Demon Hunters. I quite like Calador so far. Still waiting for the decline to creep on me.

^ Top  
  14. anvi Cipher Village Idiot

anvi
    They are all bad games, unless you don't care about combat and gameplay and then you might like walking around and talking to people.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. adddeed Liturgist Possibly Retarded

adddeed
    Good hyperbole. Dialogue in the Risen games is some of the best there is. Just funny and non pretentious.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Keu Novice

Keu
    Risen 1 has perfect gameplay, it's gothic formula how should be done 8-9 years later. They somehow fucked up with 2 and 3 trying to appeal to console paesants.
    You can have some mindless fun with 3 but is uninspired and you can see PB dindn't care about the game, dialogues and characters are worse than 2.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. anvi Cipher Village Idiot

anvi
    You guys have taste problems.

• retadred retadred x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. jarmaro Arbiter

jarmaro
    Risen in general was a decent game, the problem is it had no soul, it was just a copy of gothic.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Jinn Arcane

Jinn

This is why I ended up abandoning it even with the improvements of the mod. There was a real lack of soul or passion that I could just feel seeping from it. Left me me feeling teased and hollow inside.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    I wouldn't go that far. It had a decent atmosphere and okay-ish world. Not as good as Gothic 1 and 2 but serviceable.

^ Top  
  21. JDR13 Prophet

JDR13
    I enjoyed all the Risen games enought to finsh them, but I agree that Risen 1 was a lot better than the sequels.

Fingers crossed that ELEX marks a return to the style of PB's earlier titles.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. anvi Cipher Village Idiot

anvi
    They are all so bad, why do you people like them? The combat is terrible and an RPG with bad combat is worthless.

• Shit Shit x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. FUDU Arcane

FUDU

How about fuck off and mind your own business.

Why do you care what other people like anyway .

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    I found the first an enjoyable game, but yeah agree that the combat really hindered the experience. Still good though, it gets far more stick than it should and I think RPG fans should give it a go.

Now the second game is my personal fave &, whilst again combat is a bit pants, I found playing run & gun actually quite fun. Yeah it still feels a bit pap and gameplay is definitely under par allround, but it's bareable enough to mean it doesn't drag you down, & that you can really enjoy the games best features - it's humour & characters. My own experience with Risen 2 was great, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Risen 3 was a step backwards from 2 IMO. They'd changed the rifle controls to a more awkward setup, but 3 lost a hell of a lot of charm & humour found in the 2nd. It took itself a bit more serious, and the main character just wasn't voiced as well or interestingly. Plus playing through the same islands felt boring too. Again though, I still thin kthere's plenty in there for RPG lovers to enjoy.

If you want gameplay then something like Skyrim may be better suited to you. But The Risen series is one which satisfies the part of me which yearns for a bit of depth, atmopshere, humour & sense of reward.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    :whatho:

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)