Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen

Ch1ef

Scholar
6a84adcf3f2259bb9eb6dbf57768.jpeg

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt/aj/ajsreview/19331-risen-xbox-360

871f26b54279ae6d4302065a3b78.jpeg

relootz

Scholar
Xbox fail.

Risen is a pretty good game. It has a great second chapter which takes up 2/3 of the game but the 3th and 4th chapter are just running around mindlessly to locations to pickup stuff.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
relootz said:
Xbox fail.

Risen is a pretty good game. It has a great second chapter which takes up 2/3 of the game but the 3th and 4th chapter are just running around mindlessly to locations to pickup stuff.

Nah, by that time you get teleport stones and it's 90% teleporting around and killing lizardmen in the ruins.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
That guy is an idiot. He's obnoxious, completely unfunny, and probably the worst reviewer I've seen since I last visited GameSpot.

Unfortunately, he's completely right :smug:

(although lol at Hardcore RPG = Picking everything up and cooking your own food :retarded:)

Elzair

Cipher
(although lol at Hardcore RPG = Picking everything up and cooking your own food )

Fuck yeah! That guy knows his shit (at least on this)!

Zeus

Cipher
He's one of the performers over at That Guy With The Glasses, along with the Nostalgia Critic.

Repressed Homosexual
Risen was good, that guy is retarded. Who is that unfunny gay latino George Michael clone anyway? Totally hyped for the sequel. Although I liked Divinity II better.

Even chapters 3 and 4 had some great fights, exploration and dungeon crawling. Damn those lizardmen were hard, but after I had killed them all I was so proud of myself! I totally feel like re-installing the game and playing as a mage now.

Someone who would have played the faggot 360 version sure wouldn't give a fuck about Risen or Gothic anyway.

Here's how nice the 360 version is

zmmc5j.jpg

If you have a nice GPU in your PC go at night and wait for the sun to rise. It looks preeeeettttyyy!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Your Blind! You are just starved for ANY RPG Action. I dont think you could name one RPG you hated.

PERFECT? Are you Insane? The MAP & Quest System are TERRIBLE, the map is a static image with NO ability ot set waypoints an NO landmarks or points of interest marked. Your GOLDEN arrow nearly disappears in it and you cant even FUCKING ZOOM IN.

The Combat is Block, mash, block, mash, put enemy against wall, block, mash, repeat. And you only engage one enemy at a time, while you get flanked.

You probably could name me a single character from this story thats memorable or can go up with the likes of the RPG namesakes.

The storyline is boring and theres never any epic moments.

You like RPG's and thats fine, but just know there are FAR Superior ones out there.

What a wanker :lol:

Repressed Homosexual
He even spells it "your" in the video subtitles themselves.

It's not true, there are a lot of great characters. Don Esteban was my favorite, fantastic voice actor too. Piranha Bytes makes subdued but sympathetic characters and it's all in the little details of the interactions anyway. It's never meant to be melodramatic.

He's just angry that it's not as over the top and emo as in his favorite metrosexual JRPGs.

The Wizard

Educated
"angry joe? more like... average joe. am i right, guys? guys?"
-the lizard(or something)

unfunny, not informative piece of shit video just like his prototye review. will never watch anything from him again.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Holy shit does the XBox version look ugly in comparison :lol:

And yes, the map and quest system were p. much perfect. Giving you a complete dialogue log so you can re-read instructions and a map that has points of interests as little houses on the map is far superior to any handholding like Oblivilol.

Repressed Homosexual
JarlFrank said:

And yes, the map and quest system were p. much perfect. Giving you a complete dialogue log so you can re-read instructions and a map that has points of interests as little houses on the map is far superior to any handholding like Oblivilol.

But there's no arrow pointing to where you need to go WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

relootz

Scholar
JarlFrank said:
relootz said:
Xbox fail.

Nah, by that time you get teleport stones and it's 90% teleporting around and killing lizardmen in the ruins.

JF you are essentially running around in temples finding one object per temple. It's dead boring.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
JarlFrank said:

And yes, the map and quest system were p. much perfect.

If I had a map I'd be able to set waypoints, and I'd also be able to ask the quest-giver to point out which cave he meant, when he said "the cave to the east," on it.

It IS superior to the Oblivion quest-compass, because at least it involves skill, but it is inferior to, say, the Baldur's Gate 2-way of handling maps. Although the journal in that sucked too.

Felix

Arcane
PERFECT? Are you Insane? The MAP & Quest System are TERRIBLE, the map is a static image with NO ability ot set waypoints an NO landmarks or points of interest marked. Your GOLDEN arrow nearly disappears in it and you cant even FUCKING ZOOM IN.

GOLDEN arrow, typical console :retarded:

Repressed Homosexual
I remember a reviewer on 1UP panning Yakuza 3 because it didn't have an arrow pointing you towards your destination in sidequests. Gaming journalism is 100% worthless shit, what else is new.

Zeus

Cipher
Lord of the Rings Online has a cool compass system. It directs you with the standard dot, but when you get close enough it goes away and shows a giant blob colored area instead. The point being, here's the general area, now you find it.

It's a nice compromise between being on your own and blindly navigating by dialog alone, and having a big obnoxious arrow lead the way until you're two inches from your destination.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
JarlFrank said:
It even seems to lag much. See when he falls and get the Idiot achievement (how appropriate) for instance.

Anyway, AngryJoe may be the dumbest game reviewer I've ever seen but he was very fun to watch... not. How boring this video was. If only it was just dumb misinformed consoletard, but it's also awfully dull. He succeeds in one area though and deserves the Triying Too Much Award.

I also love how he keeps talking about "other action rpgs" and obviously only mean Oblivion.

As for Risen, great map system, great combat (more so with multiple enemies), ok IA, Bbeautiful graphics, good dialogues (though not enough for my taste)... Well every single thing he didn't like, I did find great.

Zeus said:
Lord of the Rings Online has a cool compass system. It directs you with the standard dot, but when you get close enough it goes away and shows a giant blob colored area instead. The point being, here's the general area, now you find it.

It's a nice compromise between being on your own and blindly navigating by dialog alone, and having a big obnoxious arrow lead the way until you're two inches from your destination.
Ever heard of real maps?

Games should have locations marked on a map as accurately as would be realistic in the context that the location is marked on the map. They could have maps with different scaling. A world map, a town map, even a building map (such things exist), except the player would have to either buy or find and steal such maps.

What they shouldn't have is a fucking player arrow moving on the map like magic, unless the game is really fucking exceptionally good at rationalizing it as real advanced magic that everyone uses like the internet in the real world. Otherwise, learn to read a map, please, and accept that if your target moves, you won't get to know its exact location until you actually find it.

(I guess someone might say that the arrow is there because it's the PC who does the map-reading for the player. My counter to that would be: such games are crap, and they wouldn't need to be. Remove the arrow, because it's NOT immersive. A game isn't immersive if the player doesn't do the things that he would do if he were the character in the game world. Moving your party of half-naked fags from one cutscene to another is about as immersive as drinking shit diet coke while watching the newest crap from Ron Howard. Shit.)

Of course, you should be able to buy maps that show terrain elevations, etc.

Other than that, you can always estimate distances you've travelled on the map if there are no landmarks everywhere.

Getting lost should be part of the fun, like in real life. Would add those precious playing hours, too (for the retards).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom