Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen

Murk

Arcane
^ depending on how you play the situation with fighters' leader, you can earn yourself a shack right near the entrance.

Murk

Arcane
^ for reference, I have 1.83ghz single core cpu, 1.5gb ram, and a 512mb radeon hd3850 and i can run it on max settings (with game resolution of 1024x) and still get a minimum of 15 frames on nearly every instance

Xi

Arcane
Mikayel said:
^ for reference, I have 1.83ghz single core cpu, 1.5gb ram, and a 512mb radeon hd3850 and i can run it on max settings (with game resolution of 1024x) and still get a minimum of 15 frames on nearly every instance

My CPU is min spec: 3800+ X2

1GB RAM
7900GT

So I'm pretty much just below what's required. I'm thinking memory would be the biggest problem. Don't feel like dropping bones on shitty DDR atm. I could give a fuck less. It'd be for one game anyway. $45 for something that is worthless the next day doesn't sound worthwhile.

I've been playing Risen like mad for the past day or two.

A couple of hints for those who don't have the specs to play Risen decently but haven't yet played Gothic 2: Night of the Raven.

The hints: Risen can't even begin to compare with the latter in terms of quality, and let's not forget that Gothic 2 with the expansion pack is at least twice, probably three times the size of Risen.

Xi

Arcane
Paula Tormeson IV said:
I've been playing Risen like mad for the past day or two.

A couple of hints for those who don't have the specs to play Risen decently but haven't yet played Gothic 2: Night of the Raven.

The hints: Risen can't even begin to compare with the latter in terms of quality, and let's not forget that Gothic 2 with the expansion pack is at least twice, probably three times the size of Risen.

All your preaching about Gothic 2 almost got me to dust off the old Gothic 1 disks. I never did get Gothic 2, but if NoTR is anything like you say, I just might have to call her up and take her out on the town. Hopefully she will get on her knees for me, if she wants a good review that is.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
gothic 1 was truly a great game but notr is one of the best ever (while g2 part is just good). Seriously, new part of the island added in notr is perfect. I mean everything - beautiful territories, calm, yet mystery music that makes great atmosphere of mysterious, not yet explored island and ruins. Interesting quests... Thats the best gothic ever. Its just perfect imo. I stopped walking, watched island in background from high and listen to music so many times... I want to replay it again!

Gothic 2 isnt as good, in my replays i often stopped playing after finishing notr but its still good, especially in first playthrough

Murk

Arcane
Agreed with the above.

Note on Risen's beginning - it starts of with a mage having banned the gods from the human realms for their endless warring... guess this was a direct reference to

Gothic 3's "proper" ending where you side with Xardas who closes the portal with the hero thus banishing the gods from the mortal land to end their war forever

Neat. Risen really tries to be the gothic games, SOOOOO badly... not bad though. best graphics evaghhh

Risen feels a lot like dumbed down Gothic. The most obvious decline is the missing chance-to-hit for each weapon type. (Like Gothic 3, Risen doesn't have any sort of hit-or-not calculation.) The most satisfying experience in NotR, character-building wise, was trying to balance strength (damage) and to-hit %, and finding a good combination that worked against the regenerating dragons as well as the usual fuckers.

Another obvious decline is that you don't have to time your blocks. No damage taken from blocking either.

Of course, you don't have to time your normal attacks either, although apparently a well-timed combo is faster.

Gobbo

Novice
Paula Tormeson IV said:
Of course, you don't have to time your normal attacks either, although apparently a well-timed combo is faster.

I found this and the power attacks to be the main things that upset me about Risen combat.

Oh and then there are weapon skills, me thinks only staffs were kinda well made. Other types of weapons are too easy to master (axes hah)

Paula Tormeson IV said:
The meaning of the above is a bit vague at best.

What I meant by not having to time your attacks was that the combo wouldn't break even if you pushed the button any number of times while attacking. There's some timing involved in knowing when to start the combo, when your opponent is particularly receptive to being hit.

Still, I guess everyone who has played the game knows what I meant. The above clarification is for those who haven't.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
For me the best part about playing NotR without having played G1 was meeting all the people the hero knew. Sure, I didn't know them, but it made the character more believable in that he didn't just appear out of nowhere as soon as I turned the game on. He was a real character. There were people he knew, people he hated, people who hated him etc. that along with the well crafted world just made it a more.. Believable experience.

Also, I like how the game wasn't trying to be super cinematic epic (except for the last part of the game, maybe, but still not that X-TREME). Every moment that other designers would soup up to be epic felt more like a "well, fuck. So what do we do now?" situation.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that the Gothic Hero is one of the best characters ever. As per usual with RPG heroes, he's one powerful badass, but he's also just a man, and that has been kept in mind throughout the whole game.

Hobo Elf said:
For me the best part about playing NotR without having played G1 was meeting all the people the hero knew. Sure, I didn't know them, but it made the character more believable in that he didn't just appear out of nowhere as soon as I turned the game on. He was a real character. There were people he knew, people he hated, people who hated him etc. that along with the well crafted world just made it a more.. Believable experience.
You also could always choose the "I don't remember you" dialogue option. (The hero had been kept alive under tons of rock by his magic armor, but had lost most of his memories, including his abilities, by the time Xardas saved him at the beginning of Gothic 2.)

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Paula Tormeson IV said:
Hobo Elf said:
You also could always choose the "I don't remember you" dialogue option. (The hero had been kept alive under tons of rock by his magic armor, but had lost most of his memories, including his abilities, by the time Xardas saved him at the beginning of Gothic 2.)

True. But even if he doesn't remember them, his friends and enemies do.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
but the beginning of gothic 2 sucks because it changed ending of the first one. During outro of g1 the last line hero says is something like "and i finally saw light of the day" while they say in g2 he died in the temple. First time i was like "WHAT THE FUUUCK".

Konjad said:
but the beginning of gothic 2 sucks because it changed ending of the first one. During outro of g1 the last line hero says is something like "and i finally saw light of the day" while they say in g2 he died in the temple. First time i was like "WHAT THE FUUUCK".

Maybe a dying hero would be delirious? That, or he thought "the light" was the light of the day. Or he was trying to be poetic. Or...

Murk

Arcane
if you got a non-melee route you should hang on the Claw of Beliar, that unavoidable 100 direct damage regardless of armor is very useful

Clockwork Knight said:
Konjad said:

Maybe a dying hero would be delirious? That, or he thought "the light" was the light of the day. Or he was trying to be poetic. Or...

they weren't planning a sequel and that is a terribly ridiculous thing to nit-pick about?

Master

Arbiter
Anyone saw this Kai Rozenkranz interview?

:deathclaw:

Man, what is happening at the end, are they tryng to sell him drugs?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I remember Risen 1 being decently challenging. Risen 2 and 3 are not though, at least after the very first few encounters.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Risen 1 wasn't too difficult, only enemies that ever really give you a hard time were those who had broken attack animations, like Ghouls.
Risen 2 was mmmeh, sword combat was just clunky and you could beat the game by just abusing roll dodge and the first musket you get.
Risen 3 lost its difficulty pretty fast, but the first few hours can be pretty difficult depending which order you tackle the islands in.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Risen 3 lost its difficulty pretty fast, but the first few hours can be pretty difficult depending which order you tackle the islands in.

I went to Tacarigua, where the soldiers were, looking to get a gun (which worked out). After visiting the others I think that was a pretty typical challenge, and it was only hard for a few hours. I wouldn't say the game is ever SUPER easy because enemies can stun-lock you and damage the hell out of you if you aren't paying attention. The combat keeps you engaged for a long time, which is what's important. Other shit like Skyrim is probably never as challenging as even Risen 3's mid-game, despite Risen 3 not being hard for long.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I tackled Antigua first. Enemies do take a fair bit to kill during the first ~10 hours, but once your gold, gear and skill gains kick in it just drops off instantly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom