Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Rising Lords - medieval turn-based strategy - now available on Early Access

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Really looking forward to this one, kinda reminds me of Sovereignty as well, but I hope this one will be better.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Some gameplay from Nookrium. Looks more interesting than I thought! More of a HoMM-like game apparently

Jinn

Arcane
Hope that UI is scaleable so I can make it smaller. Gives me serious mobile game UI vibes at it's current size.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
78E936F1B0D04DD7CE0E90B55B697D9F92D1A7A2

Wtf is going on here? (From their Steam forum)

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
From watching the gameplay video the strategic layer seems kinda nice. I like the overpopulation concept and the nice seasonal sprites. But the combat is completely uninteresting to me. Tiny cramped maps, tiny armies and basic units with little variety don't leave much room for tactics. And it's slow to boot (though maybe that's configurable). Also I'm not a big fan of initiative based systems, Eador/Wesnoth style fully turn based is more fun but probably doesn't really work with such a tiny scale.

They should have just stuck to the original Lords of the Realm formula and have the battles be an RTS. Or at least put some actual effort into the TB combat beyond slapping on some lame cards. In reality this studio seems to have just one programmer so he probably didn't have the capability or time to build a separate RTS layer.

Beowulf

Arcane
Not so sure about the RTS battles, turn based might work better in MP.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
TB strategic with RT combat in multiplayer has been done and works fine (Sword of the Stars for example) but of course is more technically demanding.

I like the RTS in Lords of the Realm, conceptually anyway, since it creates a direct connection between 50 peasants from your fief + 50 swords from your armory -> 50 dudes with swords on the field you can control. Gives a sense of scale to it all. But whatever the combat system may be it should be a bit more involved than 3 on 3 dudes in a 5x5ish hex grid. If you just want to focus on the strategic gameplay and can't be arsed to design a proper combat system then better just abstract it away entirely.

Jinn

Arcane
In the meantime I'll be playing the game to see if it's good.

Please let us know what you think. Many of the user reviews I've seen on steam cite simplicity as a major negative of the game. And you know when steam reviewers are complaining about the over-simplicity of a game, it's either really simple, or they're morons that just don't understand the mechanics.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Game is nice combo of Travian & Medieval Chess. Will tell more when I play more

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom