Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rising Storm 2: Vietnam from Tripwire Interactive

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Yes I thought that too. I was mostly choosing my servers based on ping and (so far) never check the settings. Probably something that they can enable, because the strikes happen every two minute and blow almost everything away at an objective, so going there and defend is a bit counterintuitive. Makes me feel abit like being a fps soldier in a strategy game, kind of demotivating.

Fargus

Arcane
Man, i suck at this game. Should probably stick to RPGs and turn-based games instead.

I prefer city maps to forrest\village maps. Because i never seem to be able to take marksman class, all spots are always taken. And there is really not much fun playing other classes in more open maps.

However the never ending stream of "FMJ" and "Apocalypse Now" references is amusing. There was a player who mic spammed "Git some!" sound clip from FMJ during helicopter attacks and similar autism.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Because I can not understand how anyone can play the Vietcong without constantly getting killed by helicopters, arty strikes etc which seem to occur every few minutes.
25h never been shot by a helicopter and I prefer vietcong, only got killed by landed transport machine guns which I tried to meet a few times, arty is avoidable unless I'm advancing or it somehow gets the cover I'm in which I don't quite get how it works yet I, simply listen to the first barrage and >50% of the time I'll be fine.

The only problem I have with the game so far is the sights not being always accurate behind cover, ample vision and the shot will somehow get into the wall, happened much less in RO2.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I've been killed by a Cobra just once so far, and that was mostly cause I was standing next to the cannon trying to shoot it down.

Artillery will kill you a lot, but that's nothing new to the RO series. It's always been a very critical component, especially in Rising Storm and perhaps moreso than ever in Vietnam.

Burning Bridges

9:37 barrage inbound
9:39 teamkilled
9:43 barrage inbound
9:45 teamkilled
9:57 barrage inbound

Made some kills in between and also got killed about 2:2. Seems my unexpected deaths were half teamills + artillery.

Time moves quite fast in this game didnt realize it was 20 minutes. Something that sucks is that I thought my mines would remain on the battlefield after I am killed, so it would be worth to take some risk if I can leave traps behind. Now I find out they remain only for a short time and then disappear (I checked and they were gone). So most of my running back to ammo dump and placing mines was entirely in vain.

P.S.

10:12 killed by artillery while in cover outside objective
10:13 killed by enemy aircraft while in cover

I am fed up with this shit.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

To preempt the inevitable LTR and LTP comments like the butthurt douchebag on the last page. I am not a player who dies more in fps games than I kill rate is about 1:1 and I move cautiously. Of course you get better with practice, but I am fed up with dying from deus ex machina most of the time, I have no time to play the game like a day job until I know every meter of the map like my living room and I cannot order artillery barrages every 5 minutes (I guess that's the real reason they are so powerful in the game, that the Nine to Five players get all the kills and points).

I thought I could play some brutal PvP and coop like in Vietcong, not just re-enact Verdun over and over, with the best players in control of the artillery fire. They could at least add working bots so that people learn where the radios, and ammo chaches and tunnel entries are, are before they get slaughtered. As it is I have found a way to play with bots, but they do almost nothing.

sser

Arcane
Developer
EFFEB5A7D24E55F187FEC28F97052DDFB88DC05B

Finally got one. I spent a whole round trying to get used to the RPG range/speed. Nailed this one and took it and 4+ people out. Using rockets and the semi-automatic rifle, I killed 6 more dudes in the span of about a minute, some of them via disintegration. If you really wanna rack up kills, I suggest going with the LMGs though. First round I had 21-kills (most of any non-commander) and I didn't even know the map. You just aggressively flank and mow down anyone who gets in your way.

sser

Arcane
Developer
BARAGE !

INBOUNT!!

TAKE COVER!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM PAAAM PUM PAAM

:argh:

Problem? :smug:

DE97D10AEC77D31C2CA096D52F87A3C5BADF31AF

B4362A27AF7F02A26FDE3EA6724466D69713A29C

This was actually a pretty unique game. Started off on the U.S. side and we had a troll commander team killing everyone. Eventually he got kicked so I took the role. Ended up winning that match with a hellish napalm strike that killed virtually everyone on the last point. Got to be commander from the beginning of the 2nd-round (as NV, it swaps you) and pretty casually won that one. Also got a few achievements, like spawning 8+ people instantly (which was amusing) and killing 2-people with 1-bullet (which was random). First time as commander of the NV and gotta say, enemy commanders must not be using anti-air because anytime U.S. sent out the spooky I had it shot down ASAP, whereas when I play U.S. commander my spooks haunt the enemy forever.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
Is it just a reskin of the God awful Rising Storm, or a legit, new stand alone title?

I would kill for a new Red Orchestra: Ostfront, though :negative:

sser

Arcane
Developer
If you didn't like Rising Storm then there's no way you'd like RS2.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
Thanks. For me, the Ostfront-Battlefield middle ground is just unbearable.

Burning Bridges

vngame2017-06-0410-03-59-09.jpg

For me such small battles work much better. With larger numbers there is no way a new player can know where the enemy are and when he will be fired at.

What I would really like would be my own server with 8vs8 players and infantry rules. I really got to check the requirements for hosting.

Burning Bridges

Thanks. For me, the Ostfront-Battlefield middle ground is just unbearable.

Why don't you just try it? You can give it back after 2 hours.

Graphics wise this is a pretty modern game, though it is not groundbreaking. I run it on NVidia DSR resolution and it looks quite good, while framerates reach up to 250 fps (no joke). There are some stutter issues that are no related to graphics that were not there in the beta but some dude game instructions how to optimize the game and it worked very well.

I would say it is overall very well made. Downside imo is only the small maps (ca 400 x 400m or so) with too much firepower available, and the fact that the regular player play way too much.

Yesterday my squadleader announced "I have serious assbergers" and started to do some crazy shit like asking if we could watch certain movies with him :lol:

sser

Arcane
Developer
A bit o' rage:

Take SL. Run up to spot before point. Stay in cover to let my squad spawn and pressure the zone. Squaddie starts complaining that I'm not moving up. I tell him my role isn't to play hero and to leave the squad. He leaves the squad.

5 mins later.

"Can I get a squad leader who understands that they're not supposed to die constantly?"

:retarded:

A few minutes later...

We take 1 of 2 points. The point we took can be counter-attacked so I elect to have my squad stay in the building and hold it.

That same. Fucking. Guy. He's in there and is yelling at people to go to the next point. I calmly explain that they'll be attacking soon. He's like, "There's 30-poeple here!" I tell him there's my squad and just him. Again, tell him to leave.

1 min later.

Vietcong pouring through the fucking windows. My squad of 6 holds the fort Alamo style. Got VC running through the goddam door and I'm killing them at point-blank range just trying to stay alive so my squaddies can keep staying on point. I pop emergency arty smoke after flamethrower roasts three VC and then gets blasted and 3 more come through the door. Commander has to call napalm directly on top of us to save the point. Roasts half the enemy team.

Idiot finally shuts the fuck up :positive:

Burning Bridges

Such guys are annoying. I agree in at least one pont, that squad leaders should try not to die and act as mobile spawn points instead.

I had one SL who died every 1 1/2 minutes. We were left one the opposite side of the map, while SL had now decided to attack another objective on the other and yelled at us.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So KKK on this one is "gud"? Gonna buy it as soon as I get bored with Insurgency + Day of Infamy.

Jinn

Arcane
So KKK on this one is "gud"? Gonna buy it as soon as I get bored with Insurgency + Day of Infamy.

I would say it's very good. It does have it's problems still for sure. My main issues are framerate drops and that there could have definitely been at least a couple more maps with the launch. As a result, I've been playing a little less than I would like to, but don't want to burn myself out on it before I feel it is a content-full game.

Burning Bridges

I would say yes, very good, if you are a bit masochistic and like to train your awareness and reflexes. It is great fun though like all those games, eminently pointless. The athmosphere does it for me.

I had those fps drops too but as far as they were graphics related, this fixed them (over 200 fps now) http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=924804474
It sometimes still occasionally stutters a bit on some servers, but it's not the graphics.

sser

Arcane
Developer
It's a good game, but definitely wait for more maps.

Burning Bridges

Is it just me or is the graphics engine running shittier than 2 months ago? Especially death by napalm is pretty lame now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom