Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Risk of Rain 2

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Taka-Haradin puolipeikko, May 9, 2017.

1. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Change from 2D to 3D has got me interested.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Ent Learned

Ent
    Who the fuck thought it was good idea to give lemurians projectiles?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Arnust Learned

Arnust
    The game has 50.000 active players right now on Steam.

FIFTY THOUSAND

That's literally 100 times the ones of ROR1! It seems like the Gearbox publishing deal was pretty damn huge for it. Really happy for Hopoo, Paul and uh, the third dude.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Ent Learned

Ent
    The buy one get one free deal along with positive word of mouth was probably a bigger deal than the gearbox publishing. I didn't even realize gearbox published it until you mentioned it just now.

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. new fucking guy Educated

new fucking guy
    The first one sold like a million copies. It's just returning players.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Arnust Learned

Arnust
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Damned Registrations Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    Fooled around in it a bit. Needs a lot more polish. Not enough items, the existing items are terribly balanced, and the overall gameplay is just way too much kiting. As expected, the AoE aspect of a lot of attacks/items doesn't translate well into 3D, since the equivalent of an old piercing shot would now need to be a 180 degree arc. Adding in a lot more uneven terrain makes it even worse. And so many fucking flying enemies. Christ. Finding the teleporters and even chests is a lot more frustrating too, since it's now a fucking find the magic pixel hunt. Sure you can see what would have been screens away previously, but now you can't see behind a rock 10 feet away without walking past it and turning around, which combined with the search area being so much greater makes it way more tedious to try comb through the levels.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. toro Arcane

toro
    The game is nowhere near done or fun. It's shit.

Thank you codex for recommending the worst kind of retarded popamole.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    • thumbs down thumbs down x 1
    • :( :( x 1
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Elim Savant

Elim
    Project: Eternity
    I think I can't enjoy games anymore. We did play it with three people. Where is the challenge? We could hold out basically unlimited on the "AHAHAHAHAH" or whatever on normal. Just walk around and circle-strafe/move like some MLG Pr0 Gam0r, jam your mouse 1 button so you do not have to press it and use your abilities.
    Am I missing something? It's utterly simplistic and the AI sucks.

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Boleskine Arcane

Boleskine

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. toro Arcane

toro
    You aren't missing on anything. The game is garbage.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. you know what time it is Arcane

you know what time it is
    I'm just gonna copy what I wrote on steam.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Elim Savant

Elim
    Project: Eternity
    Pretty spot on. I do not get why these chimps rate it so highly.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    What a horrible, migraine-inducing art style.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. you know what time it is Arcane

you know what time it is
    My biggest issue with it is that they went 3D for absolutely no reason, usually you add a dimension for specific purpose but not in this case... Game plays and looks a lot worse than the first, I don't get it.

^ Top  
  16. Damned Registrations Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    Eh, if anything it's the first game that was overrated. They both basically play the same way- you try to kite a bunch of enemies into a big pile then use splash damage to kill them all. It's the basic concept of it that's fun- roguelike arena fights in big open areas that reward exploration. The bones of a good game are here, it just needs more content and balancing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. PulsatingBrain Huge and Ever-Growing Patron

PulsatingBrain
    The first one is a legitimately good game, it sounds like this one isn't. Also kiting into a blob and using splash damage wouldn't work at all with some classes

They have similar basic concepts, but I think you're being a little too dismissive about the difference a whole other dimension adds to the thing

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. track02 Literate

track02
    I played the first one enough but was really skeptical about this - especially the move to 3D
    It's definitely unfinished but I think the potential is there and I feel they've pulled the 3D off - the movement to me seems very smooth and zooming around the map can be pretty enjoyable especially if you pick up some movement boosting items

Really recommend playing with some friends as solo becomes pretty tedious as the enemy health pools just increase massively in comparison to your damage output.
    I know that the enemies getting stronger is kind of the point but it's still not handled in an interesting way

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. aeroaeko Educated

aeroaeko
    I can't get past the fire snake level this game is fucking rough solo

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    http://hopooo.tumblr.com/post/183824942129/hopoo-games-development-thoughts-1

https://nichegamer.com/2019/04/05/risk-of-rain-2-tops-650000-players-in-first-week/

^ Top  
  21. sser Arcane Cuck Developer

sser
    Bought this on account of the 2-for-1 deal they were having.

It's okay, but clearly very early in development. I would wait on it if you haven't bought it already.

^ Top  
  22. oldbonebrown Savant

oldbonebrown
    I think the game is pretty pleasant. It has a nice flow to it that goes well with listening to some music or watching a youtube video on a second monitor. With some changes to the art it could be really pleasant, I constantly find myself really wishing for some tall grass to run around in. Just zooming around in the meadows kiting enemies~

I can't quite put my finger on it, but the game is so gamey in a positive way that I feel like I have been missing.

Playing it in early access feels like blowing my load a bit early however, should have probably waited with playing it until there is enough content that it didn't get samey as quickly.

Edit: it reminds me of the game Odens Öga - a game that no one has thought about since the 90s
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)