Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Roman muscled armour

Anonymous

The general wears it in the Roman camp (alliance storyline), but is there any way to get it?

He won't trade it, and you can't learn to pickpocket or poison in this storyline...

Anonymous

Could kill him. Or trade him other armor that he might take his off (but that would work only if his sucked, or you could enchant. And you can't.) So just pick a fight or attack him so you can die well dressed.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Didn't Nobunaga die while taking a shit? Killed by an Iga spy?

Anonymous

Anonymous said:
Could kill him. So just pick a fight or attack him so you can die well dressed.
Fighting him would mean fighting the entire Roman camp. I think that's only winnable if you cheat.

Or trade him other armor that he might take his off (but that would work only if his sucked, or you could enchant. And you can't.
I've traded him my normal chainmail, as well as my strongly blessed chainmail (I cheated) but he won't wear it...

But an NPC in the Alliance against Rome storyline talked about the various Roman armours as well, and included the muscle cuirass. I have not seen that armour in the entire Alliance against Rome storyline. Maybe I'm missing something?

Wolf Mittag

Wolf Mittag Software Development
Developer
I'm sorry. I've just checked, and I think there is actually no muscle cuirass to be captured/bought, in neither plotline (apart from killing the general in the Roman camp as discussed above; but of course this isn't really feasible, though you might perhaps try to murder him at night, or to get him to drink firsta few regular cups of wine and then a poisoned one).

As far as I remember, I'd originally equipped the Centurion who holds you up with his men (while you're on your way to get the Usipians' treasure) with such a cuirass, but later decided against this for reasons of historical authenticity.

---------------

Basically, as far as I know, nobody wore this type of cuirass except for the emperor and his generals. It was no good for active combat due to it enormous weight and rigidity. Instead, it was meant to look representative (see the picture of Augustus in the Teudogar intro; he's wearing this type of cuirass; of course his is magnificiantly decorated, with a propaganda scene showing the Persians asking for peace). Its only practical use was to protect the highest-ranking officials from assassination and enemy missiles while they directed combat operations, standing far away from the line of battle.

The troops who actually did the fighting wore chain mails shirts, or the newly developed segmented cuirass (lorica segmentata), which was both very light and flexible, and offered great protection because the metal was solid enough not to be penetrated, and yet was designed to crumple when hit, like the crushing bin of a modern car, which absorbed most of the energy of every hit. So this segmented cuirass is definitely by far the best available type of armor for active combat. (Chain mails are almost equally good, but weigh twice as much.)

Lower ranking officials like a Centurion (commanding 100 men) usually didn't participate in active combat either (the only kind of combat they'd usually do was to punish their subordinates by beating them with a large wooden stick which they carried explicitly for this purpose). These people usually wore scale mail shirts, which looked pretty impressive but didn't offer much protection.

So in total, in 12 B.C., when there were about 30,000 to 50,000 Roman troops beginning the invasion of Germania, there were probably several thousand segmented cuirasses plus several thousand chain mail shirts (regular infantry legionaries), tens of thousands of leather armor (axiliary troops), several hundred scale mail shirts (lower ranking officers), and probably only a few dozen muscle cuirasses (the generals). This makes your capturing this kind of armor about as unlikely as Iraqi insurgents capturing Donald Rumsfield or General Sanchez...

---------------

But I agree that for reasons of gameplay I ought to provide at least one of these cuirasses for you to capture. (Barter doesn't make sense since anyone wearing such a cuirass would be rich and not in need of anything, except for the solid protection offered by his cuirass.) I'll equip the leader of the Roman troop with the hostages with a muscle cuirass. This'll be available when I release the next minor update (which I'll do when the Italian translation is finally complete; which it should be sometime in the near future). Sorry for not thinking of this before.

Anonymous

Thanks Wolf!

No need to apologize. I understand why you haven't included it. But equipping the leader of the hostage group with one seems like a good idea. Perhaps you should also make it a bit more expensive? It's now about the same price as chainmail.

I wonder whether any high ranking Germanic chieftains (Hermod in the game?) would have acquired such a cuirass, but I think it's hard to prove either way.

Fancy Roman-style swords have been found in the Illerup Adal bog (see "Illerup Adal: Archaeology as a Magic Mirror" by Jorgen Ilkjaer) so perhaps other Roman status items did pass into Germanic hands.

As for fighting in one, I have no idea about the weight, but the flexiblity was not a problem for swordsmen in the late middle ages. It's obviously not as good as mail, scale or lorica segmentata, but it should be workable.

though you might perhaps try to murder him at night, or to get him to drink firsta few regular cups of wine and then a poisoned one

Strangely, that doesn't work for me... After one or two cups they are drunk and won't drink anymore....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom