Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Romancing SaGa 2 Official PC (and Vita, PS4, Switch, Xbone) Release - Out Now!

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Jinn, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Jinn Arcane

Jinn

In case anyone missed it in the Random JRPG News thread, English speaking people who don't enjoy playing games on their phones are finally getting Romancing SaGa 2 on respectable platforms! Only 24 years after its initial release!

Hopefully this sells well and leads to the release of Romancing Saga 3, and maybe even a re-release of Romancing Saga - Minstrel's Song in the near future. Regardless of how it does, I'm extremely excited to finally jump into what has been called the best SaGa game of the series. If you would have told me 10 years ago this game would receive an official western release, let alone a PC release, I never would have believed you.

Anyways, can't wait for Friday. I will be dropping anything else I'm playing to dig deep into this one. Look forward to discussing and enjoying it with you all.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    While I want Romancing SaGa 3, Scarlet Grace is the one I want the most.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Expon Learned

Expon
    I guess square wants to see if this sells well so they can release romancing saga 3 simultaneously rather than ios and android first, which is unlikely looking how it sold on vita.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Why the [​IMG] friend? Scarlet Grace looks really cool and impressions from Japan are really good.

^ Top  
  5. Expon Learned

Expon
    The game itself is indeed very well made, but the chances of it getting translated are slim at best. Romancing saga 2 and 3 have to at least sell decent in the west for square to even consider localising scarlet grace.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Shinji Learned

Shinji
    Recently, Akitoshi Kawazu (main designer) was interviewed by Forbes, and apparently his favorite game is Ultima IV:

Full interview:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieb...om-the-final-fantasy-games-to-the-saga-series

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Latro Arcane

Latro
    so anyone actually buying the game? releases in 6 hours!

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    Absolutely! Hope it actually releases at that time and it's not just a tease. I will be staying up very late playing this tonight (early morning).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Whisky The Solution

Whisky
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Oh wow. I remember always hoping someone would fan translate this one for the SNES.

Now...now I can just straight up buy it in English.

Go figure.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    It's out now.

^ Top  
  11. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    The game is excellent so far. In the first two hours, my father has tried to teach me how to be a strong leader by leading me into battle, I've lost a character to permanent death, chest mimics have destroyed me numerous times, and I've inherited the strength and ability of my father on his death bed.

While the game and mechanics are sound, there are definitely technical issues. I can't full-screen the game without a window frame and there is some annoying mobile-esque UI that I can't get rid of. As someone who has been waiting for an english translation of this game for years, these are minor inconveniences that don't really get in the way of me enjoying a good game. The sprite work and backgrounds are overall very aesthetically pleasing though, even at high resolutions.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    I bought it on Steam, despite some negative reviews.

Alt+Enter for fullscreen mode
    Steam big picture mode for controller support.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  13. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    I really don't understand why they localized all these ports, it has been released on mobile in English for more than a year, and I just checked the Google Play page for the game and it says it has 1000 copies sold. Ouch.

^ Top  
  14. Siveon Bot Patron

Siveon
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    It's also on iOS, which IIRC, typically has more sales than Android.

Also can anyone confirm if the translation is still godawful? The android version has terribly written dialogue.

^ Top  
  15. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    It is.

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Latro Arcane

Latro
    playing jrpg for plot or dialogue...LOL

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. jungl Learned

jungl
    jrpgs with plot and dialogue what pushed them into the mainstream with games like chrono trigger. Older traditional jrpgs like dragon quest are best enjoyed when you want to role play a mental midget or a drooling senile old man.

^ Top  
  18. eric__s ass hater Developer

eric__s
    Guess what bitch, I'm both of those things so I don't need to roleplay.

Anyone know how time works? I beat the game's intro and it went to year 1001, and then ten minutes later it was 1003. How did that happen?

• Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    I've definitely been playing for more than ten minutes since it became 1001, but I went to the Goblin Hideaway instead of straight to the canal. Maybe it depends on the locations you visit?

Also, really hoping a mod comes out soon that removes UI "buttons" on the overworld and in battle. If not for those, most of the other UI is passable. Really don't like the look of weapon and magic skill/defense icons either.

Still, having such a great time with this classic game that my problems with the UI are merely irksome rather than a real problem.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    ^ Top  
  20. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    ^ Top  
  21. jungl Learned

jungl
    games alright a little too basic as far as saga games go. Last remnant was the peak of this kind of gameplay. With the super repetitive gameplay it is better off playing this with your phone when you feeling bored.

^ Top  
  22. eric__s ass hater Developer

eric__s
    [​IMG]

You're about to get the prank of a lifetime, gramps.

• Funny x 5
    • Friendly x 2
    • Rage x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    How far have you gotten?

^ Top  
  24. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    So getting it for Vita might be preferable if no patches arrive?

^ Top  
  25. jungl Learned

jungl
    I played it a little past the goblins place.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)