Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rome Total War II

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Day 1 buy :smug:

Marobug

Given how the series evolved until now, I can't see this going wrong. I'm curious to see if they will make more sequels after this, as both empire and napoleon were both so-so at best.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...mbly-reveals-new-total-war-rome-2-information

"One of the things we won't do, we won't make anything up."
In Rome: Total War, the first game, not everything was strictly backed up by a dusty old history book.
"There probably were occasional things in Rome 1 where there wasn't enough information to fill it out fully, so we had things like the Spanish having a unit called Bull Warriors. We kind of made that up," Simpson admitted.
"There would have been a unit pretty much like that, but they probably weren't called Bull Warriors - they probably had horns on their hat.
"We won't do that this time around. We've got more time, we've got all of the research we did last time around, plus plenty of time to do more. We won't need to do that. No, we're not going to make anything up this time around."

"There's a few favourite units from the original game where I'm struggling yet to find suitable historical justification for them," said Simpson. "The Burning Pigs is one. We're still fighting over them. We're trying to find a better source for justifying their existence."

Yeah, right. There probably was a unit pretty much like that. Sure. Archaeologists and historians will surely agree with you that they probably had horns on their hat.. :lol:

Also, lol at going "WE NEED TO FIND MORE SOURCES TALKING ABOUT BURNING PIGS SO WE CAN BETTER JUSTIFY THEIR INCLUSION"

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I liked dogs and flaming pigs. When dogs attacked prepared opponent they were slaughtered, but when opponent was engaging another, or running from combat, they were nasty stuff.

Renegen

Arcane
Yeah, right. There probably was a unit pretty much like that. Sure. Archaeologists and historians will surely agree with you that they probably had horns on their hat.. :lol:

Also, lol at going "WE NEED TO FIND MORE SOURCES TALKING ABOUT BURNING PIGS SO WE CAN BETTER JUSTIFY THEIR INCLUSION"
This must be fully written by their PR because I remember interviews with CA before Rome Total War came out where they were saying how hardcore they were with their research and how they debated every tiny detail for historical accuracy. Hell, I bought the game based on thinking the developers valued that.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
I wouldn't be surprised if they gave germania viking units. Besides, mods will fix it. To the best of their abilities.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
They said they made Egypt the way it was so that they wouldn't have another phalanx-based faction (which would be the historically accurate Egypt) when they already have like four of those in the game. And you know, I find no fault with that reasoning. It's more fun when factions feel and play differently on the battlefield and that they all feel unique, forcing you to adjust your tactics and unit composition accordingly. Bottom line, it was fun facing those chariots and setting those sandniggers aflame.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Variety is cool, but I'm too much of a historyfag to not be somewhat irritated by it.

Also, they could've made the Greek Cities into a non-phalanx faction... at least a non-sarissa phalanx faction, giving them a classical phalanx instead. Which they probably didn't because then idiots would've complained that this is not a proper phalanx or something.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Variety is cool, but I'm too much of a historyfag to not be somewhat irritated by it.

Also, they could've made the Greek Cities into a non-phalanx faction... at least a non-sarissa phalanx faction, giving them a classical phalanx instead. Which they probably didn't because then idiots would've complained that this is not a proper phalanx or something.

Well, if you compare Hoplites in vanilla RTW with Macedonian Phalangists in the Alexander expansion, they are actually different.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

Well, if you compare Hoplites in vanilla RTW with Macedonian Phalangists in the Alexander expansion, they are actually different.

But they're both using the overly long sarissa spears and using the macedonian-style phalanx. Classical Greek phalanx was entirely different to that, and they could've used this for greater variety.

Deleted member 7219

You guys need to play Europa Barbarorum, it is basically a completely new game from Rome. It doesn't just make the different Celtic, Germanic and other barbarian tribes more historically accurate, but it also fixes the Romans, Greeks, Egyptians and others. I just hope The Creative Assembly have learned a few things from it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

But they're both using the overly long sarissa spears and using the macedonian-style phalanx. Classical Greek phalanx was entirely different to that, and they could've used this for greater variety.

How different? Like I said the units are different, the vanilla Hoplites do in fact have shorter spears than Phalangists in RTW:Alexander.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Pretty much the way Europa Barbarorum did them. They didn't make the kind of "pike-wall" we see in vanilla Rome, this is the Macedonian phalanx that was invented around the time of Alexander. The classical Greek phalanx that was also used in battles such as Marathon where they beat back the Persians, is more like this:

IT%206024S.jpg

Medium-length spears (shorter than in vanilla Rome; you don't have several ranks of spears reaching out in front of the formation, only the first and *maybe* the second rank actually fights) that were probably used overhand-style (like you see in the pic), shields close together so your shield can protect your comrade too, basically it's more like a shield wall formation than the formation we see in Rome.

Actually, the Spartan phalanx in 300 wasn't too far off from the real thing (at least in the first encounter where they stand at the pass and defend). It's a shield wall with spears, basically. Though the spears aren't even that important - they also had swords as secondary weapons, and the thing that made a classical phalanx into a phalanx was the aspis, that large round shield that was used in a close formation to allow for maximum protection.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Examples from the game:

tan_rtw_phalanx.jpg

This is wrong. That's a Macedonian-style phalanx. With the Greek aspis (that large round shield), you probably wouldn't be able to hold such a long pike, anyway. The sarissa (long pike) was held with both hands, and accompanied by a smaller shield that was strapped on the arm.

hoplitaihaploiholdsflan.png

In this screenshot from EB, we see classical hoplite phalanges in the foreground, using the large aspis and a one-handed medium-length spear in overhand style. That's how classical Greek hoplite phalanges worked. In the background you see the Macedonian phalanx with its longer sarissa, which is used two-handed and far longer than the normal spear.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
hoplitaihaploiholdsflan.png

In this screenshot from EB, we see classical hoplite phalanges in the foreground, using the large aspis and a one-handed medium-length spear in overhand style. That's how classical .

These bastards are holding spears backwards.

titus

Arcane
Patron
EB is nice, but I found it a little boring later in game. Definitely try it though. Personally I like Roma Surrectum 2 better.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Both are excellent mods. Do check out the Invasio Barbarorum mod series, too. Currently playing Somnium Apostatae Iuliani and it's awesome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom