Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG/Adventure hybrids

V_K

Arcane
So, can anyone recommend me some games of this rare breed, that were released in the last 10 years (I believe I know of all the older ones) or are going to be released in near future?
I've heard of Heroine's Quest, Quest for Infamy, Hero-U and Mage's Initiation and had a misfortune of playing a horribad Czech game Vampire Hunters. Is that all or am I missing something?

*To clarify the criteria: I'm counting as such hybrids those games, that have a character development system in place and are heavy on inventory-based puzzles. Ideally these two systems should be interdependent, but I'm ready to settle for less.
**I'm sorry if there's already a thread for that, but the search didn't bring up anything anyway.

V_K

Arcane
Well, I specified "the last 10 years" for a reason ;)
Guess I'll just list the older titles I've played or at least know of too: QfGs (naturally), Elviras, Waxworks, Bloodnet, Keef the Thief, Tangled Tales, Legacy, Arcatera, Nemesis, Druid: Daemons of the Mind, Legends of Murder, Daughter of Serpents, Defender of Boston, Beyond Zork. Might have forgotten a couple ;)

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Some of the later Legend Entertainment games -- Superhero League of Hoboken and Shannara -- were kinda-sorta RPG/Adventure hybrids. Pretty light on the RPG aspect though.

V_K

Arcane
Some of the later Legend Entertainment games -- Superhero League of Hoboken and Shannara -- were kinda-sorta RPG/Adventure hybrids. Pretty light on the RPG aspect though.
Ah, yes, I forgot about Hoboken. A nice little game if a bit cheesy.
I'll look into Shannara, thanks!

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Ah, yes, I forgot about Hoboken. A nice little game if a bit cheesy.
I'll look into Shannara, thanks!

I think Daemonica is sort of adenture/RPG-ish... I remember playing it a while back. Certainly pre-dated the whole Witcher concept of mixing potions and having to do so elaborately :)

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/daemonica

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Uuugh, Rome AD92 and the robin wood? It has that freedom rpg vibe (until the timer runs out anyway)

Speaking of english legends, that King Arthur wargame thing.
Academagia i guess. Text games, like most choice-of-games in general.

Visbhume

Prophet
Well, I specified "the last 10 years" for a reason ;)
Guess I'll just list the older titles I've played or at least know of too: QfGs (naturally), Elviras, Waxworks, Bloodnet, Keef the Thief, Tangled Tales, Legacy, Arcatera, Nemesis, Druid: Daemons of the Mind, Legends of Murder, Daughter of Serpents, Defender of Boston, Beyond Zork. Might have forgotten a couple ;)

Veil of Darkness? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veil_of_Darkness

V_K

Arcane
the robin wood? It has that freedom rpg vibe (until the timer runs out anyway)
You mean this one? Tried it some time ago, but couldn't really get into. The same can probably be said of Academagia.
I'll look into Rome AD92 and King Arthur, thanks!

Tried this one too. I don't remember it being much of an RPG.

Lands of Lore 2 :D
I'm not sure if it counts as a hybrid, I don't remember a lot of puzzles there.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I'm not sure if it counts as a hybrid, I don't remember a lot of puzzles there.
It's a lot more puzzle-oriented than LOL1 actually. A lot of them rely on exploration (the ruins), but there are some very nice ones later on, especially in the Temple and the City of the Ancients. Still more of an RPG-lite than a true hybrid like QFG.

Alchemist

Arcane
Here's an oldie you might not have played (you'll need an old Mac or emulator for it..)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarterstaff:_The_Tomb_of_Setmoth

I haven't played it myself yet but it looks like an adventure / RPG hybrid. Published by Infocom.

With glorious box art:
8ROWRmx.jpg

V_K

Arcane
I had! ;)
Well, tried to - that was some ten years ago, my English wasn't good enough to play IF back then. It's very light on RPG side too, IIRC, the characters only have something like half a dozen weapon skills.

V_K

Arcane
I'll try King of the Dragon Pass, thanks!
Played the other two already. I really wish there was something similar for Blood Sword series.

:Flash:

Arcane
Attic's "Drachen von Laas" and "Lords of Doom".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom