Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2014 Role-Playing Game of the Year Awards

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Nope.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Swap Blackguards and Wasteland 2 around and you pretty much have my Top20 for 2014.

Bravo to Larian and Saint Swen for D:OS. Their game did not have the best writing, graphics, balance or sound, but it was the one who took the biggest risks and brought something truly new to the table. I enjoyed every second of it.

The Codex: THIS IS NOT AN RPG WHY IS IT ON THE LIST SPERG SPERG

felipepepe: Don't worry guys, Thomas Bayes will deliver us all from decline, the people will have their voices heard.

(one week later)

Two JRPGs in top 10.

:troll:

Obviously felipepepe reviewed all the different ways to tally the votes and went with the one that placed animu the highest was most fair.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
First of all, big thanks to felipepe and others, seems a lot of time and work has been wasted on this pointless survey.

Second of all, respect and fistbump to VD for choosing LoG2 as a staff pick, it wasn't the best RPG but it sure as shit was the most entertaining game of the year. VD's political view might be (are) insane but his taste is impeccable.

Huge thumbs up to Zed, apart from being hilarious in general his recognition for MMX in particular is very appreciated. This game absolutely deserved some spotlight for being the first proper blobber RPG since I was young. Plus it's great.

People who voted for Dragonfall and NEO are probably bros too. (Haven't played).

And for those who couldn't stop allahu akbaring DOS for these past several months, a game with the body strength of Hodor and IQ to match, congrats, you won. Now brush your teeth, grab Mr. Buttercups and shoo, to beddy-byes with you.

Would vote again.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Larian can now remove from their steam page that non prestigious PC game of the year from gamespot and have an actual :obviously: magazine award.

Also, this second place for Dragonfall from both lists can boost a little bit of attention to the new kickstarter.

But anyway, I think it has been a year full of :incline:, and 2015, although I highly doubt Torment will be released, looks even better.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Note also how the order of anticipated games maximises Codex self-promotion and Sawyerism:

poll results:

1. Torment
2. Underrail
3. AoD
4. Pillows

The current top games, way ahead of the other titles on the list, are Age of Decadence, Pillars of Eternity, Torment: Tides of Numenera and Underrail.

Despicable.

Mortmal

Arcane
The usual anti-German sentiment around here. Just mentally add 30% to the average.

Probably too challenging fights ,and some encounters even at the beggining were quite impossible without the right build. Many were unable to finish it, the steam achievments you get during the last stages of game are filled by very small % of players, 0.4% finished it ....Guess its a revenge vote.

Now look at that poor dragon age, it is burned at the stake cause its bioware, did not rate it 5/5 , but it deserves to be in the top 20 more than some.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I know I wrote about NEO Scavenger, but my personal GOTYs are MMX, D:OS, and NEO Scav, with Dragonfall up there but I haven't finished it yet, unfortunately. Very, very good year for games. Seriously.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
It's a sad state of events when I can't even enjoy the top voted RPG of the year because the dialog is so god damn shitty.

good list; no real controversies as far as im concerned

glad grimrock 2, lords of xulima and ToTM made the grade; all games i played and enjoyed immensly

of course underrails going to eat everyone for breakfast in 2015 may as well shut up shop now lock and sticky nothing to see here folks

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wasteland 2 not in the TOP 3
piosyFP.png

Higher than LoG2
:mob:

EDIT: Also ranking table should include Steam Store links, what is this, 1995?

Last edited:
Thanks to felipepepe for his hard work. Seems like this may have been the least trolled poll ever conducted on the Codex.

Mostly ecstatic to see NEO Scavenger (and, to a lesser extent, Heroine's Quest) get such love. That game really came out of nowhere and completely blew away an expectations I had. Figured it would be a sleeper hit, but didn't expect to see it actually get a medal.
Would be great if the Codex could barter their collective esteem for doritos an interview with Daniel Fedor. He seems like an interesting guy, and, reading his bio blurb, I've just discovered he worked at Bioware for 7 years, so the drama potential is high.

Congratulations/Condolences to all the winners!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom