Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2014 Role-Playing Game of the Year Awards

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You know what was I thinking while reading the article? That what the fuck is a bayesian average. Seriously, this bugged me a lot. :P

On a more serious note. I'm happy with the outcome, although I couldn't play many games on the list unfortunately. But DOS, W2, Dragonfall and NEO Scavenger deserved the first spots.

Great article guys.

cfisher2833

Learned
I'd be fine with any results on the voting as long as MMX was out of the top 10. Which it is, so all is well :dance:

of course it would be best if it also wasn't in the top 3 staff picks but you can't have everything with declinefags all around you

Yeah, I was surprised to see it there and not Grimrock 2. I'll have to give might and magic another shot though--hopefully it picks up a bit. That or I could try out Xulima. Overall though, I'd say it's the best RPG of the year list I've come across. The pokes at Inquisition were masterfully done

Durante

Learned
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The only thing better than the reader's choice results are the editor's choice results. Prestigious.

Also surprised to see two anime games in the top 10. Really great ones mind you, but I didn't expect that.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Awesome year, I have to admit. Never heard of Neo Scavenger before, not sure how it fell through the cracks. Immediately went to steam to check it out, and it already shows RPG Codex Readers Choice #3 as one of the only 2 Awards it received. Great job everybody. :thumbsup:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Tried out NEO Scavenger demo. Died because of an heart attack in my very first battle. Oh sweet jesus,

:love:

got explosive diarrhea (probably from dirty water) while fighting some Bad Mothas which led to my second death of being pummeled to a bloody pulp,

:brodex:

Oh, I can become an cannibal. Corpses rot? Whoa. I can push a shopping cart to maximize my scavenging ability?

:takemymoney:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I hope the error is in the quoted fragment, not in the table, because if otherwise, NEO would lose its well-deserved 3rd place.
Yeah, it's a mistake just in the quote fragment... the full results and the google docs sheet are the correct ones.

You know what was I thinking while reading the article? That what the fuck is a bayesian average. Seriously, this bugged me a lot. :P
It's a way to calculate the average score that also take into account the amount of votes it got. For example:

Game X has 500 people giving it 5/5 and 100 people giving it 4/5 - Its average score will be 4.8.
Game Y has 1 guy giving it 5/5 - Its average score will be 5.

This is a shit result. If instead we calculate with a Bayesian average, Game X keeps its 4.8 score and Game Y's score becomes 3.3, which is much more fair. It has other nuances, but this is the git of it.

Perkel

Arcane
Surprised at VC place. Though i liked the game.

Overall good list. And a fucking good year for RPGs.

Weasel
Did a quick search to see how the results went down. Mixed reception to the list on Neogaf: :cool:

dat mainstream hate on the list :(

Original Sin's writting, characters and side quests are far from "average at best". They are basically what kept me playing after I've experienced how unforgiving the combat can be in the early game.

I don't quite undertand this, since they are calling themselves RPG Codex, not "PC-RPG-Codex". What's the logic behind narrowing the genre down to PC? I'm definitely not a friend of PCs (and in fact write for a website who does not report about PC games), but if I were to make a "Platformer Codex" site, of course I'd include PC (and mobile phones), or call it console-platformer codex.

Also what's the point behind this aggressive tone in the article? Weaboos, JRPG-haters and so on. Can't someone just like or dislike a game without being some kind of crazy person?

It's a website that is a heaven for bitter as fuck Computer RPG fans who have spent most of the last decade or so complaining about the decline of the RPG genre.

The Codex does it again. Classy motherfuckers.

I like this list, especially the golden turd part. Shame on me that I preordered Sacred 3

Good top list but that excel sheet shows just how obnoxious Codexers are when it comes to dogpiling mainstream stuff. Really, Borderlands is worse than Deus Ex the fall and waifu garbage like Agarest?

:hero:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm surprised Codex still has its taste left. This is not what it looks like when you see how popular Skyrim and Dragon Age Inquisition threads are in comparison with other cRPGs. I'm happy both that it's the great games that have received top positions, good games following them, and crappy games being far behind (or so I assume, as I didn't play many of them). I'm really amazed, it's like the first GotY pool in years on any site that looks legit and thought through.

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Blackguards being low is a shame, because it's the most engaging (== challenging) game of the year for me (besides halfway in hard mod(e)), although i didn't play many games. At least until you get move as lightning lvl3 :roll:
The itemization being restrained (until the end :roll: ) was a plus, this kind of courage doesn't happen anymore, it's all 1-1000 powerleveling shit nowadays, burn diablo in hell!

That the next game is going to be barely a rpg dooms it in the next vote, and so it goes...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'm really amazed, it's like the first GotY pool in years on any site that looks legit and thought through.

It's the first goty voting since 2009 that is actually a fair vote for something instead of potato gubmint elections aka picking the lesser evil.

MrMarbles

Cipher
Nice work as always Felipepepe, much respect!:salute: Seeing Dragon Age: Inquisition barely squeak past Costume Quest at nr. 47 makes me feel all warm and tingly

Mortmal

Arcane
Well, their policy of handing out free keys to the staff at least got them an editor's choice award

:troll:

Thanks to Zed, Felipepepe and everyone for putting this together. The mini-reviews summed up why it's been such a great year. And good to see a lesser-known game like NEO Scavenger getting some deserved recognition.

Ubisoft dont just hand free keys ;), blogging and making video for them can turn out profitable ; It HAD to receive an award .

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
It was definitely a year of Incline. This is the first year that I can remember where I wanted to play more than ten CRPGs that were released. Thanks to everyone who voted!

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Shame about original sin taking top spot instead of Dragonfall.

The latter was a much more enjoyable experience overall.

Shame about original sin taking top spot instead of Dragonfall.

The latter was a much more enjoyable experience overall.
I have to admit that I bought Dragonfall but I have yet to play it.
I keep hearing it's a substantial improvement over SR, but I found the latter dull enough to reduce my interest for the sequel/expandalone almost to zero.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I have to admit that I bought Dragonfall but I have yet to play it.
I keep hearing it's a substantial improvement over SR, but I found the latter dull enough to reduce my interest for the sequel/expandalone almost to zero.

While retaining the already enjoyable asthetic, they managed to improve all the other gameplay elements, especially the story and mission variety.

One overlooked point in favor of Dragonfall is that it doesnt overstay its welcome, it's just about the perfect lenght to maintain the pace of the story throughout, while D:OS takes a nose dive after the first map in the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom