Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG CODEX 2017 - Roguelikes - RESULTS

Are you butthurt by the results?

• Yes

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • No

Votes: 24 70.6%

• Total voters
Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
TL/DR

Mozg

Arcane
I would recommend trying more hardcore stuff.
ADOM or Cataclysm: DDA are both free.
Don't worry about your characters horrible death; it's part of the game and natural part of the learning process.
This is what I don't understand: why the hell would ADOM be more hardcore than TOME?

Might mean "less bullshit", I know when I look at the pages of feat box character building sperg fodder on a new character in ToME I uninstall it.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
You can play and beat TOME without any spoilers- you will die a few times when testing the "right" order of dungeons but it is no problem.
Finishing ADOM without any spoilers, from what i heard (played it but not that much to be honest), is an exercise in masochism. Or something a really patient person with a few years of free time could do.
It makes ADOM clearly more hardcore... i think.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I would recommend trying more hardcore stuff.
ADOM or Cataclysm: DDA are both free.
Don't worry about your characters horrible death; it's part of the game and natural part of the learning process.
This is what I don't understand: why the hell would ADOM be more hardcore than TOME?
Perhaps "more simulationist" would have been better description; ADOM is definitely different experience than TOME to the point where only similarities are general fantasy themes and top down view.
edit. Of course both are roguelikes with permadeath and procedural generation.

But my main point about games like ADOM and Cataclysm: DDA is that you can't really ease yourself into them by playing some other games.
This is particularly true for C: DDA with it's locational damage, cloth layer management, vehicle driving, crafting that is actually needed to survive (NEO Scavenger is also good in this regard) etc.
Whatever players prior experience is he will be overwhelmed at first.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Most games will fall in the category of "good for what it is" for most people, that of being slightly better than "meh" enough to keep playing, but nothing approaching "OMGamazeballs". The eternal problem of having just a binary yes/no choice is that people will assume either love or hate, leaving very little room for average/mediocre/acceptable etc. For this poll I understand the reason for this was likely lack of poll option spaces, but possibly just more another symptom of general laziness?

Lack of poll option spaces was a real thing, or better said, it would be annoying as fuck because the mods didn't help me with a proper poll.

That said, how much did people enjoy the game is quite frankly pointless. Some users will call a certain game a 10/10, and others will say "it's good enough". To me, it's more important to know that people enjoyed it than "how much" they enjoyed it. For example, someone with VERY high standards is the only person to have played Mission Thunderbolt, and says it's absolute shit. I'd rather have the "didn't enjoy it" tag.

Some people enjoy playing games they don't like. You could argue it's the codex's favourite hobby. You'll often hear it said around here "I want to play it just to see how bad it is". The germans invented a word for this that became the world-wide word for this paradox, that of schadenfreude. The codex would actually be quite miserable if all released games were perfect and about 50% of codex content is in the enjoyment of schadenfreude. A more commonly accepted version of this can be seen in the movie industry where some directors compete for the honour of "so bad its good" dominance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom