Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Editorial: Darth Roxor on the State of RPG Writing

TNO

Augur
I greatly enjoyed this post, and it definitely joins the Codex Pantheon of best posts ever (perhaps alongside the PoE review by the same author, and grotsnik 's appropriately dyspeptic review of video games journalism). I offer some further thoughts given I also have an amateur interest in computer game storytelling.

Pseudo-books and pseudo-movies
If video games are art, they probably will need to do something different from other forms of creative expression: they won't be better movies than Citizen Kane nor better novels than Anna Karenina. Current RPGs are stuck either being interactive novels or interactive movies.

The distinguishing feature is whether there is a narrator : those that do are usually the 2D isometric RPGs and so have limited abilities for visual depiction, and so use text to fill it in. Later, as technology developed, you saw more and more 'cinematic' RPGs where the narrator vanished and instead game designers relied on their extremely labour intensive graphics and animation to do the job. Picking Bioware RPGs, you see the last vestiges of narration in KOTOR with the occasional '[you spent a fitful night of sleep before the podrace]': it vanishes in the Mass Effect and Dragon Age Series. So in these RPGs it seems a much closer analogy to film (theatre also a contender, but I imagine for most game designers have a lot more of their artistic diet in movies than in plays, and I think a lot of cutscenes ape tropes in cinema much more than theatre).

Although it's a trope on this forum to be against the new shit, I actually think this technological development is to be welcomed. Game dialogue is an infamously mixed bag, but I can think of a lot more examples of good dialogue than good description in videogames. Part of the issue might be the reward function for dialogue is a lot flatter: even a mediocre writer can produce saleable dialogue; even 'workmanlike' descriptive prose is challenging, and this offers limited advances on whatever 2D sprite you can dredge up from your graphics resources. PS:T, Fallout, and some bits of the Shadowrun series are exceptions, but even then unevenly. In the typical game studio (RPG or not), they generally have much stronger resources towards visual than textual storytelling (on which more later).

Choice and consequence as the 'value add' to video game stories
I don't think games need to have stories to be good entertainment, nor even to be art. I can appreciate the Samurai Jack scene in the OP without any understanding of the wider episode or series; I have never played or read anything about Guilty Gear, but the audio and visual looks stylish as hell despite my anti-anime prejudices. Perhaps the best example of a relatively 'plot light' video game of artistic merit is Shadow of the Colossus. I think one asset video games offer as medium is interactivity: in SotC, you can navigate around and probe the colossi and see them react, which is more than a static image - however well drawn - can provide.

Yet many computer games do use stories whilst trying to be art. I think the interactivity analogue that a video game with a story can offer is in the choice and consequence (of VD fame): you can not only see how things change but feel responsible for how the plot develops as it is driven (at least in part) by your choices. I think this can be better than the 'do I save X or Y' choose your own adventure nodes (on which more later), but even these, done well, can be effective at driving moral turmoil.

The necessary fraud of C&C
C&C isn't the only way a videogame can have a good story: looking glass games like Thief and (especially) System Shock 2 provide counter-examples. But it is a major weapon, especially in RPGs. I suggest that in C&C is in almost all cases somewhat fraudulent, and the degree to which this is finessed is key to success - so far, very few have managed it.

In real life, worldlines branch extraordinarily rapidly and seldom converge. I don't live a life of a fantasy protagonist, but I'm a twenty-something considering whether to keep my current job or take a new one: we can imagine the subsequent 'gameplay' would be very different depending on this choice: what environment I am in, which characteris I interact with, what tasks I do, and so forth. There would be some common elements between the branches (family, maybe I'd still visit the 'other' city on occasion), but they are mostly dissimilar. Each may give rise to subsequent choices and further branching. This occurs even in a micro level: in conversation, what others say to us is highly sensitive on what we say to them - not just in tone but in topics, subject, subsequent conversations, and so forth.

I think similar things would apply to the typical heroic protagonist deciding the fate of the world and so forth. Yet in virtually all cases this is not respected: in most games if you pick one faction or another you still end up with eerily similar sort of objectives on the same level; even if designers don't resort to the Bioware habit of having NPCs say exactly the same lines of dialogue no matter what you pick, the structure of the conversation is basically set in stone, and so forth.

I don't think this is avoidable, as verisimilitude here would imply a vast game on which a typical playthrough would only reveal a few percent of the content - economically suicidal. Thus designers have to get creative in avoiding these limits: obfuscating from the player how these choices end up converging onto a similar worldline, or carefully triaging which 'big choices' are going to have an impact on the gameworld going forward, and so forth. The proliferation of ending slides, although regretted in the OP, I therefore understand as a useful means of 'fire and forget' C&C, precisely because it avoids you having to code several versions of the same event the player to experience later (I agree with Darth Roxor that if you are going to do this you need to show the craft of a plausible reason why the consequences only emerge post-credits).

The dissociation of C&C from gameplay in cRPGs
I think a common fault in cRPGs is that the 'C&C' comprises a series of choose your own adventure nodes which could be dissociated from the gameplay. The narrative in a game like Mass Effect doesn't feed off the gameplay in any meaningful sense - you would lose nothing from the story if you replaced the cover shooting interludes between the dialogue wheel segments with cutscene or nothing at all.

There remains a tension between the 'gamey' elements of a computer game and pretensions towards art, but there are better examples, albeit most of the ones I think of aren't really RPGs:
  1. Alpha Centauri is perhaps the greatest game of all time. One of the reasons for this is the artistry and craft in the underlying backstory. Generally delivered by short passages (for tech advances) or short films (secret projects). These gently heinlein the underlying logic of the narrative and are extraordinarily clever and well-written. Even better they go alongside the core gameplay: among many examples, the later tech advances does depict the accelerando towards the singularity and crisis whilst (in game) you are developing all sorts of game-breaking advances.
  2. DX: Invisible War had many faults, but one of its strengths was how organically the tasks and choices merged with the main narrative (also a feature in the later sequels). My favourite example is that if you don't play nice with the Illuminati, Chad Dumier orders his goon to take one of your friends (also his employee) hostage to secure your good behaviour. You can acquiesce to his threat, ignore it run the risk of him killing her or (as I did), hunt down where they were holding my friend, neutralise his troops, and rescue her. As a reviewer said at the time: 'they weren't pissed off with the game, they were pissed off in it'.
  3. The (cut, but restored) ending to KOTOR2, where you can trade stats off your main character to save NPCs.
Perhaps the key feature of the second family of examples is that the choices don't emerge from 'It's story time children! A or B', but rather you make your choice by doing the game things in gameplay you've been doing throughout (perhaps, in fairness, first person games have an advantage in this). Yet this device is underused compared to the constant reliance on the dialogue system. The now infamous 'Kaidan or Ashley' choice in ME1 is forced on you with a dialogue wheel with bits of the level magically sealed off after you've made up your mind. Just instituting a timer (hidden or not) and freedom of movement around the map lets you make a similar choice organically.

In the ideal, game play and narrative would feed off one another; in practice, compromises tend to be made by both with little mutual benefit. I wholly understand the cynicism of many on this forum to RPGs with a big story emphasis. There's nothing wrong with a game like IWD: a dungeon crawler with nice visual design which mainly focuses upon encounter and dungeon design, with a wisp of a plot to move between the interesting levels. There's a lot wrong with the typical modern bioware RPG, which amounts to a sub par 2 hour movie distributed across 30-40 hours of mediocre gameplay.

The kids of today
The genre of 'what's wrong which the kids nowadays?' has an august history stretching back to Epicurius, so I'm sceptical in blaming the often hacky writing coming from video game studios as symptomatic of societal or aesthetic decline (although I enjoyed the previous pages in this thread on this). I think such accounts are challenged by the disparate performance of different creative fields and the hard to avoid Whig history of the last two centuries (where life expectancy doubled, child mortality more than halved, and everyone got several times wealthier). I agree modern computer games in the main weakly written, and the best examples (e.g. PST, Arcanum, FO, DX) are now approaching two decades old despite an accelerating release schedule. Yet most cultural commentators would argue we're in the midst of a golden age of other things, most notably the TV serial. I'm confident work like the Wire or the Sopranos or the West Wing is much superior to what was being churned out in the 80s.

What I think is going on is simply a matter of selection. In the 19th Century, if you were a top writing talent (and I think it is principally a matter of talent rather than teaching - I imagine 'great writers' are probably those with 1 in 100000 innate abilities, no matter the ministrations of creative writing majors and MFAs), your best bet likely being a novellist; nowadays, it probably is writing screenplays for TV or film - and good effing luck if you thought you could make your living as a poet or playwright. Video game writing remains fairly poorly paid and with little artistic validation. It is no surprise it does not attract top talent. This will likely improve in time: Eidos Montreal have a 'narrative director' in their Deus Ex games, and although these are not perfect, the writing in these games does show admirable craft and cleverness.

Yet I agree their are systemic issues beyond a lack of human capital, chief among them their predictable kowtowing is to current day political norms. I would guess the writers of Alpha Centauri are liberal, and on the face of it their cast of faction leaders ticks off the list of 90s liberal american prejudices: Religious Fundy, Amoral Chinese hive master, immoral big businessman, Russian uber-scientist, etc. etc. Yet what is key is they are charitable enough to both argue well for these characters and muddy the waters for more sympathetic ones: the liberal hippy is described using worms that eat brains as a weapon of war against her foes, Miriam argues passionately against the dehumanizing and authoritarian abuse of technology, and so on.

Contrast to modern AAA releases. My eyes rolled out of my skull when I discovered the veritable platter of sexual diversity in Dragon Age: Inquisition. There's the witty gay mage, with oh-so-subtle commentary in his backstory of being estranged from his father due to his attempts at fantasy conversion therapy; there's the FtM transexual, complete with dialogue options where he lectures you he isn't 'passing as anything', with the Qunari NPC explaining (even in) the ultra authoritarian Qun, they're totes cool win non-gender-conforming people; the Qunari PC himself is a pansexual into sexual dominance complete with safewords etc. if you're up for it - although he reassures that submitting to him would have no effect on how he'd respect you in your non-bedroom role etc.

My ire about this isn't because I hate liberal sexual mores around homosexuality, transsexuality, or BDSM. Nor is that a fantasy computer game couldn't be a good foil for saying some interesting things about human sexuality. Yet just transcribing the former into the latter accomplishes nothing of value: it isn't an interesting element of the setting ("there may be dragons, elves, magic, no obvious contraception, but it turns out these people think about sex just like I do - and you should!"); it doesn't add anything interesting to the characterisation - wouldn't it be more interesting (and challenging to the 'readers') if a character like Dorian wondered whether he should have undergone the conversion therapy for the good of Tevinter, or have a generally sympathetic character who nonetheless has some very unsympathetic views by modern sensibilities?

It also, obviously, isn't penetrating social commentary on the present day. Archetypal high fantasy has a natural affinity for conservatism: there's the sense of just hereditary rule, the 'true king', generally sanguine approaches to nobility and peasantry, at least one civilisation of ancient greats who have declined in the current age, and the good ending tends to be returning things to the 'good old days'. It has a multitude of open goals for a writer no matter polemically liberal to subvert in an interesting way. Instead, the theme is used as a set of costumes and props for a bunch of characters transposed from the current day, liberal enlightened attitudes and all. Even if one refrains from the opportunity for introspective challenge of prevailing norms, one hopes we can start beating up ideas we already dislike more artfully.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Course in worst cases o game lore that bears no relation to gameplay you actually get the lore bein disproved by gameplay: Take some lore written fearsome foe like a Devil, Demon or whatever an be routinely beatin em like a red headed stepchild, well congrats you've just pissed all over your own worldbuildin. Have a companion whos supposedly a double ard an capable bastard an make em incompetent at their job as a guard or somethin, lessens character an once again breaks lore. Have a protagonist who is supposedly a self made man, but who never acts on own iniative, has no self motivation an just meekly follows plot an whatever fetch quests hes sent on, thats a fuckin unlikeable puppet.

Games need to reinforce emsens through gameplay, lore an worldbuildin, each feedin into other. Lost an rare fuckin design principle that we need to see more on.

Lord Andre

Arcane
Dropping by to congratulate Grand Edge Lord Darth Roxor on a brilliant and accurate article. much :salute:

Also, in the article he is too kind to those holding literature and literature related degrees. They are all (mostly) brain dead. A smart or talented individual may accidentally wonder the whole of such universities but those are individuals who would perform well with or without the degree.

If you hold such a degree and disagree with my last paragraph, all I can say is... :M

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
For anyone more interested in knowing the role of the left on the erosion of education standards, I recommend this book:

51JF5kuxouL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_.jpg

It's focused on the american education, but it explains similar problems in other countries.

Mustawd

Although it's a trope on this forum to be against the new shit, I actually think this technological development is to be welcomed. Game dialogue is an infamously mixed bag, but I can think of a lot more examples of good dialogue than good description in videogames. Part of the issue might be the reward function for dialogue is a lot flatter: even a mediocre writer can produce saleable dialogue; even 'workmanlike' descriptive prose is challenging, and this offers limited advances on whatever 2D sprite you can dredge up from your graphics resources. PS:T, Fallout, and some bits of the Shadowrun series are exceptions, but even then unevenly. In the typical game studio (RPG or not), they generally have much stronger resources towards visual than textual storytelling (on which more later).

Welcomed in what sense? In that a fully rendered 3D World can better portray the descriptions better than say, a pre rended 2d image? That a zoomed in shot of an NPC's face can show emotion better than some crappy piece of writing? (e.g. "He furrows his brow" vs seeing a furrowed brow).

If what you are saying is that actually seeing the things that text would otherwise describe is somewhat less intrusive and more immersive, then I'll have to disagree with you, but ultimately it comes to taste and what you're looking for in a video game.

IMO, one of the biggest advantage of the isometric or top down views of characters or your party is the abstraction it creates. You can't see all the small details, so your imagination tends to fill those in. It creates a beautiful type of immersion that's akin to watching miniatures muck around a map , and feels more like a PnP experience. The difficulty is that hammed up writing can and will take you out of this immersion and abstractedness if the dev attempts to describe EVERYTHING.

For example, take the fact that you want to show hesitancy in an NPC. What are your options?

1. Fully rendered 3D: Show the emotion on the NPC's face as he talks as well as have the voice actor do a good job of selling the hesitancy. You also get to see every detail of his body language and paybe even the reaction of the PC to the NPC's behavior.
2. Isometric 2D: Describe the hesitancy. Something like, "NPC #1 hesitates a moment, his body language reflecting his indecisiveness like an emotional mirror, before exclaiming..." ...dialogue and voice actor shows hesitancy.
3. Isometric 2D: Abstract the hesitancy altogether and rely on the voice actor and the dialogue.

For me #1 works fine, but it feels like I'm watching a movie. Being so zoomed in takes all imagination out of the experience. #2 is your typical lore dumpy way of describing everything. This can be ok in some aspects, but add a lot more description and do it like every single time and it gets old quick. #3 is my preferred method. The dialogue as well as the voice acting are enough to give you the gist of the emotional state of the NPC without hitting you over the head with unneeded prose.

Last edited by a moderator:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I missed the article when it was posted, but it was a good read.

But I missed mention of one of the reasons for all the bad writing: the current crop of gamers dominated by people who never read books, yet play video games "for the story".

gaussgunner

Arcane
Welcomed in what sense? In that a fully rendered 3D World can better portray the descriptions better than say, a pre rended 2d image? That a zoomed in shot of an NPC's face can show emotion better than some crappy piece of writing? (e.g. "He furrows his brow" vs seeing a furrowed brow).

I took that to mean "welcomed" in the sense of cutting tedious narrative, even if the zoomed-in 3D shit is unwelcome.

My preference is iso/topdown with text dialogue only - no voice acting, no narration, no cinematics, and no cutscenes. So I would favor dialogue above all, for example "Ehh... it's not for sale" to show hesitancy. Or minimal narrative, sorta IRC-style: "*Furrows brow* It's not for sale". Maybe more, but not multiple-paragraph narratives to show off some wannabe novelist's tryhard writing.

I think "good writing" often undermines the purpose of game writing. You literally can't tell a story in a sandbox game. You just need dialogue that sounds natural (with certain exceptions) and is independent of other plot/quest threads.

Mustawd

I think "good writing" often undermines the purpose of game writing. You literally can't tell a story in a sandbox game. You just need dialogue that sounds natural (with certain exceptions) and is independent of other plot/quest threads.

+10000

EDIT: I think it's what all these new rpgs seem to miss. They try making a game feel like a movie or read like a book. It's a game. It's neither. Write dialogue for it like a game.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Whoa there, hold you're horses, before you jump too far the other way. When I played The Longest Journey, for example, I was more invested in the excellent story and dialogues than the game mechanics, a game which had appallingly over-complicated mechanics for the sake of over-complicated game mechanics, and I often find this with adventure games. Take the original Broken Sword for example, without its narrative and dialogue it would be just another puzzle game.

In RPGs the story and narratives are important, but they should be background, not foreground IMO. Yes, dealers should just be K, here's my stuff, and rescue my wife who's been kidnapped doesn't need to be a life story, but when the narrative needs to represent an impactfull moment then that's where narrative provides justification for your adventures, it's what stops the game being a meaningless number grind like a poor roguelike or meaningless walking sandbox like [insert most boring title here].

Icewind Dale is a very non-talky game, but when it does talk then the moments are elevated by their infrequency and the full voiceover indicates to the player that that particular moment in the game is important and a turning point:

What a lot of games tend to do is just pile on the text and voiceovers willy nilly, regardless of importance to the game, so that, by the time you do come across and important event or character then your interest has already been devalued by the text/voiceover hyperinflation and everything just meshes into a blur of unimportance, it doesn't matter if you're rescuing a cat for an old lady or saving the king's life as now it all sounds like blah blah blah sit back and listen, just another quest.

Likewise for strategy games, during the game you are not interested in narratives (perhaps structurally but not orally) but when on a campaign setting with missions then the genre used to have a great deal of interest in providing very wordy and atmospheric narratives as breathers between missions, again, providing both a sense of progression and a sense of structure. One of the best examples being the one posted recently on the Battle Brothers thread from Myth: The Fallen Lords:

And this convention used to apply to RPGs, such as, again, the Icewind Dales:

Isn't that gorgeous. And much more preferable than having all that be dialogue options buried within the first NPC you meet in the new area, boring you to tears before you even get going.

So while I agree that the writing has got more and more ridiculous as the years have passed, it's far too easy to go to the other extreme and just cut-out everything, throwing the baby out with the bath water. As is often the case, in our attempts to find something new, be derivative, edgy, stand out, its often the case that a lot of good conventions get lost in the drive to extinguish bad conventions.

Mustawd

So while I agree that the writing has got more and more ridiculous as the years have passed, it's far too easy to go to the other extreme and just cut-out everything, throwing the baby out with the bath water. As is often the case, in our attempts to find something new, be derivative, edgy, stand out, its often the case that a lot of good conventions get lost in the drive to extinguish bad conventions.

I think you're right in that, and we're just being overtly general. Especially since it seems that nowadays all NPCs have a life story to tell you and talk you ear off. This is what I was trying to say when I mentioned this:

#2 is your typical lore dumpy way of describing everything. This can be ok in some aspects, but add a lot more description and do it like every single time and it gets old quick.

That emphasis in narrative needs to make sense and needs to be paced. Just like anything else in the game (combat, loot, etc).

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
This whole part is kinda citiation needed-tier. Postmodernism is not all that relevant anymore in literature departments and it certainly isn't on the contemporary book market. Why its importance is sometimes so overemphasized probably has a lot to do with the politization on universities in recent years, when postmodern sensibilities became a strawman for the alt-right. Perhaps its more relevant in certain social science departments (genderstudieslol; which incidentally you mention, so thats probably where the argument comes from) but for literature, I don't think so, not when it comes to quality judgements.

The thing is that mentioning "postmodernism" there is rather unfortunate and I'm not very happy with it myself, but I was struggling to find a moniker for any approximation or equivalent to what I was referring to and couldn't really find it. Another one that comes to mind is "librul insanity" or the like, but obviously that's even more "citation needed" than "postmodernism".

It's something that Ludo Lense also pointed out to me in the content forum where I posted the first draft. My problem remains that in a very very broad and warped sense those ARE issues that relate to post-modernism, but even so, the post-modernism of today has so very little to do with the original post-modern movement, it's hard to equate the two, and I'm afraid that until some sort of post-post-modernism term is invented, our hands are a bit tied here.

The most accurate term I've heard used to describe this phenomenon would be "neo-positivism". You're a Pollack, you'll know what that implies. :D

I know what you were getting at here, but the use of the term "postmodernism" to describe it doesn't jive well with me either. I mean, for me, post-modern stuff is like, Derrida or Burroughs or someshit.

Also posting in EPIC THREAD. Good article, I only noticed it today because I was bored. Let me tell you - all this "writing resurgence" in RPGs has totally put me off the entire slew of 'em "back to the roots" bullshit games. I tried playing PoE, and Tyranny, I really did, but the writing gave me a headache whilst the gameplay was not interesting enough to keep me hooked on its own merits. And I'm the type of guy who reads Joyce for fun, FFS.

I've been stuck playing ToME for the last 2 years or so. :(

EDIT: Basically, the only thing I'm waiting on would be Vault Dweller's new game. At least in AoD the writing was to the point, coherent and fun to read.

Latelistener

Arcane
Characters move around when talking, gesticulate, frown – it all comes together to deliver a believable and fluid scene that is also quickly finished, as it should be.
I have no clue why devs ditched the idea of "talking heads". It was a complicated process for Fallout, but today Unreal Engine and Unity have FaceFX and Source has FacePoser.
One decent animator can probably make something close to Bloodlines, then simply share different gestures between characters.
Voice-over may be a real problem though, but you don't have to use it for every character.

Last edited:

Lycra Suit

Prophet
Possibly Retarded
I recall the Bioware guys bragging to me about how Black Isle people had told them that Baldur's Gate should be about low-level heroes try to help a small town survive through a hard winter (facing bandits and stuff like that), and how the game's success proved that epic was the way to go.

Fuck these losers.

Deleted Member 22431

Current RPGs are stuck either being interactive novels or interactive movies.

That’s a crude oversimplification of what CRPGs attempt to do. cRPGs don’t fit in this description. For starters, CRPGs have side quests or emergent gameplay strategies that are irrelevant to the main quest (which means, the narrative). The fact that they also have tactical elements to a notorious degree makes the comparison even more inappropriate. It’s not as if I can choose different tactics to beat my rivals in a novel or a movie. In fact, the very notion of an interactive novel is nonsensical since it would imply a novel where you can choose the story. cRPGs, like all games, but unlike all movies, are attempts to surpass unnecessary challenges. Second, they have itemization, exploration, character building with stats and skills, and many other characteristics that gravitate towards these features.

People insist on these mischaracterisations of cRPGs because they are both dismissive about cRPGs and jealous of the respectability of other genres. That’s why we have cRPGs that try to be either turgid novels, or cinematic movies; and reviewers that pretend to be intellectuals discussing a treatise of some sort. They ignore the realities and specificities of the subject and attempt to copy something else in its place because they don’t respect cRPGs. That’s all that needs to be said about that.

I actually think this technological development is to be welcomed. Game dialogue is an infamously mixed bag, but I can think of a lot more examples of good dialogue than good description in videogames.

This is a false dilemma. The solution to bad descriptions are good descriptions, not expensive cinematic scenes that bloat the budget and force the studios to dumb down the gameplay.

Part of the issue might be the reward function for dialogue is a lot flatter: even a mediocre writer can produce saleable dialogue; even 'workmanlike' descriptive prose is challenging, and this offers limited advances on whatever 2D sprite you can dredge up from your graphics resources.

If we take for granted that descriptions tend to be worse than dialogues, and I don’t, you could conjecture that since there are more dialogues than descriptions, writers are more used, and better trained to do dialogues than descriptions.

In the typical game studio (RPG or not), they generally have much stronger resources towards visual than textual storytelling (on which more later).

It’s the other way around. Since artists and animations are very expensive, and most cRPG studios couldn’t possibly implement all the choices and consequences, they have to rely on text.

I don't think games need to have stories to be good entertainment, nor even to be art. … Perhaps the best example of a relatively 'plot light' video game of artistic merit is Shadow of the Colossus. I think one asset video games offer as medium is interactivity: in SotC, you can navigate around and probe the colossi and see them react, which is more than a static image - however well drawn - can provide.

Yes, but the point is that cRPGs attempt to simulate peoples abilities in terms of stats and skills, both in combat and dialogue. This simulationist aspect puts an immense pressure to make the story, and the game world, more believable. You can’t just put any shit you want because the interaction will not be great. Things need to make sense in a cRPG.

C&C isn't the only way a videogame can have a good story: looking glass games like Thief and (especially) System Shock 2 provide counter-examples. But it is a major weapon, especially in RPGs. I suggest that in C&C is in almost all cases somewhat fraudulent, and the degree to which this is finessed is key to success - so far, very few have managed it.

Apples and oranges. The type of choices you have in games like System Shock are not the same thing you have in most C&C cRPGs. The first type of choices involve exploration, experimentation and emergent gameplay; the second type of choices are narrative in character and allow you to impact the narrative of the gameworld, and this is a big difference. Some players will enjoy, others will hate it. But it’s not the same thing at all.

Video game writing remains fairly poorly paid and with little artistic validation. It is no surprise it does not attract top talent. This will likely improve in time: Eidos Montreal have a 'narrative director' in their Deus Ex games, and although these are not perfect, the writing in these games does show admirable craft and cleverness.

These types of comparisons don’t make any sense. cRPG writing involves so many specific requirements that they can’t be possibly compared to a novel. They don’t try to do the same thing. The writing in a typical cRPG will include allowing the player to make routine questions, weapons descriptions, and so on. The very notion that it can be better or worse than the writing of other genres is a confusion. Good writing in cRPGs involve world building, exploration, etc. A simple story can be good in a cRPG because a good story in a cRPG is not the same thing of a good story in a novel, which in turn is not the same thing as a good story in a movie. The writing in a cRPG it’s tied to the gameplay aspects. It’s not the artsy part of cRPGs that it is still in its infancy. The genre shouldn’t try to obtain the artistic validation from people that don’t enjoy cRPGs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom