Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Editorial: Games Journalism Scandal

Gozma

Arcane
Wow, fucking good

Don't let anyone get to you about the long sentences, they held together perfectly.

Although I am also a hyphen comma semicolon addict and would write with nested parentheses if I could so maybe you shouldn't listen to me

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
RPG Codex is not even a real games journalism site. Where are their unboxing videos?

:lol:

hahaha, that is hilarious. God bless that poster :lol:

Someone should quote that post and post the "prestigious magazine"-quote.

Also, grotsnik, you are a fucking boss, sir! Excellent read, though a few pictures and some extra periods would help the article alot. But I guess we don't scale to other people's levles ;)

Angthoron

Arcane
Are the gamejournos trying to take Codex down already? Had this going for last 15 minutes or so.

No cached version is available
What's wrong?
The most likely causes:

• The server is down for maintenance
  • There may be a network problem
  • The site may be experiencing excessive load
Retry for a live version of the site
What's CloudFlare?

This website uses CloudFlare in order to help keep it online when the server is down by serving cached copies of pages when they are unavailable. Unfortunately, a cached copy of the page you requested is not available, but you may be able to reach other cached pages on the site.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are the gamejournos trying to take Codex down already? Had this going for last 15 minutes or so.

What's wrong?
The most likely causes:

What's CloudFlare?

This website uses CloudFlare in order to help keep it online when the server is down by serving cached copies of pages when they are unavailable. Unfortunately, a cached copy of the page you requested is not available, but you may be able to reach other cached pages on the site.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/cdn-testing-in-progress.77407/

Angthoron

Arcane

What's wrong?
The most likely causes:

What's CloudFlare?

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/cdn-testing-in-progress.77407/
Ah, that's what it was. Cheers.

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also, inbe4 lawsuit threats and article editing, with consecutive firing of grotsnik.

:lol: Has the Codex ever received legal threats? DarkUnderlord, can you enlighten us?
Cleve has threatened to sue several times, and there was that guy with the beautiful drawing of a minotaur smelling a rose that someone so callously posted without asking his permission first.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Also, inbe4 lawsuit threats and article editing, with consecutive firing of grotsnik.

:lol: Has the Codex ever received legal threats? DarkUnderlord, can you enlighten us?
Cleve has threatened to sue several times, and there was that guy with the beautiful drawing of a minotaur smelling a rose that someone so callously posted without asking his permission first.
ah, the gay minotaur man, good times...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

ah, the gay minotaur man, good times...

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/my-minotaur.35738/ :lol:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
ToRo2.gif

NEVAR FORGET! :salute:

Sul

Savant

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
What's with the positive response at NeoGaf? Are those all Codexers in disguise? :lol:

I know! :lol:

neoGAF said:
{the codex article was} Brilliant. Exhaustive. Researched. Scathing. No games journalist can read this and honestly say there's "no story here."

The longer this goes unanswered, the more it looks like journalists are waving their collective hand and saying "these aren't the facts you're looking for."

:salute:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Neogaf said:
Brilliant. Exhaustive. Researched. Scathing. No games journalist can read this and honestly say there's "no story here." Every gamer and every journalist--hell, everyone who works in and has an interest in the gaming industry--should read this. If there were such a thing as GAF canon, this editorial would belong in it.

I'm torn between :salute: and :lol:

Thank you grotsnik and neogaf for providing me with such entertainment.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Good stuff, but honestly nothing really will come from this, as this is something that has been known for a while. The most famous scandal ofcourse, was the one involving Eidos and Gamespot, wherein the Gamespot dude was fired due to pressure from Eidos, formed Giantbomb, and the rejoined Gamespot once gamespot's parent site bought Giantbomb.

Anyhow, when you have review sites influencing purchasing power to such a large degree wherein many ppl just look at a 'respected' sites review score then rush out to buy the game if 8.0+, obviously you are going to have publishers and even gaming companies bribing these fuckers. There are literally scores of millions of dollars to be had or lost...

My suggestion to ppl is to depend on indie reviews, and/or word of mouth via message board veterans you trust. (even these can eventually be bribed...be warned. For instance, it is pretty obvious Infinitron has been given jewgold by Arkane to push Dishonored down our gullets, even though it is a shit game)

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
That wasn't a very easy read. I mean, it was well-researched and indepth, but the run-on sentences and weird formatting made it a bit of a headache. Just providing some constructive feedback here, it was a good piece anyway, salute to grotsnik and all that.

Seems like game journalists are mostly effectively stonewalling this to death, though to be fair a bunch of sites picked up the story (including, for example, PA Report). Lauren Wainwright is still not fired, apparently, which is just baffling to me. Even if it's just as a sacrificial lamb I don't see how you can have her keep writing reviews now, with a straight face.

Not sure what's with Rab and Walker suddenly trying to say it's all about PR. That's weaksauce. It's journalists, and it's also consumers, and it's PR. PR tries to manipulate and coerce. Consumers actually bash journalists who are honest and harsh. Journalists are stuck between a rock and a hard place and decide integrity is not as important as doing your hobby as your job. Everyone is losing there. It's just us guys on the niche who write for people interested in honest opinions and who don't care about publisher pressure that can have integrity about it. I'd never want to write for a mainstream media site, though, as a paid fulltime job. Seems like an awful, shitty job to me.

If the consumer expectations were to change, maybe journalists would be force to, and then PR would be. Right now we're just stuck in a vicious cycle though, and game journalists can afford to be arrogant and insular about this shit, and just ignore it until it goes away.

PS: oh, that Square Enix buddy grotsnik mentions in the story? She works for Bethesda now. So expect Wainwright to suddenly become super-enthused about Bethesda titles.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I dunno, I think grotsnik's style has a very good flow. Personally I read it in a single breath. And seriously, pictures?! Lrn2read lol (as William Faulkner would say).

Oh gawd, what have you done Ms. Bee. :lol: (twitter).

Meh, I don't think he'll react. ;)

grotsnik

Arcane
Oh gawd, what have you done Ms. Bee. :lol: (twitter).

If he replies to say he hated it and it completely misrepresented his position, I'll have to put up a libel charge against the Codex for their false and malicious fabrication that I was the one who wrote it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom