Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Editorial: Games Journalism Scandal

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
So what? It's still the same kind of formatting (txt dump, as you call it) even if the individual lines are longer.

Yes - the point is, that sort of formatting requires a different paragraph width to be comfortably readable. Probably better to change the formatting than the width.

So it becomes "unreadable" if individual lines are just twice as long? How do you read other Codex articles such as reviews, then? They all use the same width, and practically the same style.

They typically have more variety. Shorter paragraphs, bolded and unbolded text, images and videos, bullet points, etc

It's easier on the eyes.
Not to mention the run-on sentences make it doubly so.

I actually wonder how many websites actually use LaTeX typsetting (not just equations, lol wikipedia). You could probably count it on your hand

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
But if the lines are too long and the effort of making it from the line's beginning to its end is too high, how do shorter pagraphs or videos help? And if the effort isn't too high, then what is problematic about it?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I'm glad you guys enjoyed it - the funny thing is, apart from a few cheap digs, I didn't think it was that vitriolic.
It's not. People are just so disconnected in their little protective bubble that anything that isn't ponies and rainbows is now called vitriolic.

No, I know, I know. It's a frequent bad habit.
No it's not. Fuck the haters. Your writing is excellent, even though I had to dig out a dictionary for a couple of words towards the end. The sentences aren't too long and the flow is perfect. It's by far one of the best journalistic pieces I've read in a while (and I don't mean game journalism), even moreso since I knew nothing of the whole scandal and your summarizing and analysis was perfect for those who like me were not aware of what had happened. Awesome work, and many many thanks to the editorial staff for publishing this. Codex has truly inclined tremendously in the past year.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But if the lines are too long and the effort of making it from the line's beginning to its end is too high, how do shorter pagraphs or videos help? And if the effort isn't too high, then what is problematic about it?

Bee, it's not one single thing (like "long lines") that makes the formatting awkward. It's all of these things together.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I actually wonder how many websites actually use LaTeX typsetting (not just equations, lol wikipedia). You could probably count it on your hand

So the problem is, fundamentally, that of the kind of formatting/typesetting the Codex uses? You should bring it up with DU, then.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Bee, it's not one single thing (like "long lines") that makes the formatting awkward. It's all of these things together.

That doesn't mean anything. I linked to an LRB article where the formatting isn't awkward; but make the lines twice longer and it suddenly becomes awkward? Bullshit. It just reads like normal text, which I fail to see any problem with.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
[Kotaku Ediitor]STEPHENTOTILO:I do regret the dismissive tone of that comment Ben quoted. Calling it not very important was a miscue because, a) the incident in and of itself was interesting and should have been an item on our site and b) the larger issues of distrust of the games press that have flared up again around this certainly are important. Giving a damn about whether the press can be trusted is always important, and I didn't mean to belittle anyone's concerns about that.

(In response to the PA article today). We really need a flip-flop emoticon.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That doesn't mean anything. I linked to an LRB article when the formatting isn't awkward; but make the lines twice longer and it suddenly becomes awkward?

Well, yes. Gaming websites and literary articles are different beasts.

Of course it is possible to get used to any sort of formatting, but it's not optimal.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

That doesn't mean anything. I linked to an LRB article where the formatting isn't awkward; but make the lines twice longer and it suddenly becomes awkward? Bullshit. It just reads like normal text, which I fail to see any problem with.
Actually, people do find it difficult to read when the width increases over a certain size and find using vertical space easier to process. Human factors are weird.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Well, I disagree (w/r/t websites and books) - I don't see how reading text on a monitor is different from reading a book; reading text is just reading text - but let's leave it at that.

Marsal

Arcane
We really need a flip-flop emoticon.

491.jpg

Crooked Bee

Patron
Actually, people do find it difficult to read when the width increases over a certain size and find using vertical space easier to process. Human factors are weird.

OK, maybe, although I don't experience that personally, but again, that sounds like a general problem with the kind of width that the Codex uses, or maybe the font size/style - which means complaining to DU is the only option.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Fuck all this formatting crap people are on about. The only problem is that the sentences are very long at some spots and a pic or two would have worked.

Ain't no big thing.

Marsal

Arcane
Well, I disagree (w/r/t websites and books) - I don't see how reading text on a monitor is different from reading a book; reading text is just reading text - but let's leave it at that.
:retarded: I don't see how playing games on phones is any different from playing games on a PC; playing games is just playing games - but let's leave it at that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Bee: It's okay, we're not asking you to edit the article. Just maybe take these factors in mind next time.

Variety.

Crooked Bee

Patron
:retarded: I don't see how playing games on phones is any different from playing games on a PC; playing games is just playing games - but let's leave it at that.

Your analogy is really retarded.

I read a lot of books, both academic and fiction, on the PC because I only have them in digital format. Please tell me how that makes it different from reading them in paper format.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
The paragraphs are fine. The only issue I see are the motherfucking huge sentences which crop up from time to time. I advise more liberal use of full stops and semicolons.

Marsal

Arcane

Your analogy is really retarded.

Also, I read a lot of books, both academic and fiction, on the PC because I only have them in digital format. Please tell me how that makes it different from reading them in paper format.
Then do some more reading about the topic and stop being an ignorant idiot, spouting bullshit about things you know nothing about. Of course the medium and the way content is consumed matters. Stop being so defensive, not every criticism is a personal attack against you. STFU and listen to people who read the article. It's not the end of the world, but improvements can and should be made.

Who are you in this story anyway? Grotsnik did the research and wrote the text? You pasted it and hit "post"? WTF are you even arguing about?

Crooked Bee

Patron
Marsal I'm partly responsible for the editing, so I argue about the editing. You posted a "retarded" smiley in response to my post, so I replied to your post.

Then do some more reading about the topic and stop being an ignorant idiot, spouting bullshit about things you know nothing about.

Well, the analogy is between two different mediums, digital and physical. Are digital books better or worse than physical books? For gaming, a similar thing would be to ask if physical boxes are better or worse than digital copies, not if PC gaming is better or worse than tablet gaming. Choosing between two kinds of games - PC or tablet-based - can be likened to choosing between two kinds of books - say, ‘serious’ fiction or ‘light’ fiction - not between two kinds of medium. That's why your analogy doesn't work.

With gaming, there are also such considerations as PC interface vs. tablet interface and the way they influence what kinds of games are available on the PC and what on tablets, etc. However, if I read a book on mathematics or a piece of literary criticism, what changes if I read it in pdf compared to reading it as a physical copy? I often do both, and often switch between the two.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom