Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview RPG Codex Exclusive Interview: bitComposer's Take on the Chaos Chronicles Dispute

made

Arcane
The fact you didn't even blink when "joking about" that here in the first place shows how much you missed the point.

No, DorkOverload, you are missed the point.

Whatever names we call them or whatever memes people throw at them here is utterly meaningless. Did you really intend to demonstrate to them how grave the situation must be when they are called ShitComposer on the Codex of all places? Anyone who takes a passing glance at this forum knows we do this shit for fun.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Did you really intend to demonstrate to them how grave the situation must be when they are called ShitComposer on the Codex of all places official forum of the game they're publishing?
There, I fixed it for you because you missed the point again.

It went WOOOOSH right over your head.

Anyone who takes a passing glance at this forum knows we do this shit for fun.
Yes. And all those people who will be coming to these forums once this game is published...?

I'll let you think about it. Would you like some thinking music? It might help.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Did you really intend to demonstrate to them how grave the situation must be when they are called ShitComposer on the Codex of all places official forum of the game they're publishing?
There, I fixed it for you because you missed the point again.

It went WOOOOSH right over your head.
Probably he cannot into Google search, quick lesson about it:
People search for Chaos Chronicles, first result is the official forums, meaning the Codex.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fun fact:
Searching for ShitComposer also yields the Codex as first result.

Really, I don't get how you people can argue about such nonsense all day. But it amuses me, so go on :)

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
If BG doesn't satisfy then that is not the reason for it

It certainly is one of the reasons most often mentioned on the codex, ie. the RTS engine that got a RTwP compromise making it clumsy and imprecise, exactly what an engine designed from the ground up as either TB or even RTwP would have avoided being.

Which they did here. As I understand it, hardly any work at all was done on Myth of Glory before they chose to switch priorities.

A lot of games, well, almost all games really, start as quite different concepts than what they end up as.

Well the operative word is 'concepts'. Concepts can change without problem. The problem arises when something is already developed to an extend and is then modified. I had the impression that CC was further along as a consoletard game hence my reservations but if it was only in the concept phase then I stand corrected. Although if it was just at the beginning the I wonder what Foreplay were doing and I see Shitcomposers point.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If BG doesn't satisfy then that is not the reason for it

It certainly is one of the reasons most often mentioned on the codex, ie. the RTS engine that got a RTwP compromise making it clumsy and imprecise, exactly what an engine designed from the ground up as either TB or even RTwP would have avoided being.

You mean like the NWN2 engine? :smug:

On the contrary, the Infinity Engine games were notable for how quick, responsive and UNclunky they were compared to the games that tried to imitate them in later years, and this might be attributable to the engine's RTS roots.

To pull a Roguey, here's somebody who agrees.

* Responsiveness. I've always felt that the IE was very responsive to player input and AI state changes. Selection, movement, and execution of commands were all very "crisp" in the IE games, probably owing to its roots as Battleground Infinity (an RTS). Other than pathfinding, controlling characters felt good in the IE (IMO, anyway) -- better than it does in a lot of other RPGs.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
And what if you have 200,000 dollars more? Is that enough?

9pqVMUq.png

(actually, 100,000, since Brian would have added his own money)
Base game includes three races, five classes, and five companions.
Sounds like something in the realm of possibility. It's also fortunate they didn't get the chance to try.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
In my own experience on the publishing end, the "evil publisher" vs. "passionate, kind-hearted developer" stories rarely work out that way - at the very least it's "realistic publisher who wants a timetable, accurate budget estimate and assurances their money isn't being wasted" vs. "developer who maybe has some good ideas but execution is a major problem and they have no plans for how to make their ideas come to fruition in a profitable way".

I've witnessed several deals fall through entirely because the developer had no plan and no projected release date, all while asking for unreasonable amounts of money. The developer I tend to work with as part of my day job occasionally even uses delay tactics to avoid providing answers to questions, updates, it doesn't provide answers to questions promptly, it says it will take feedback into account but never does, etc. I imagine that's a lot more common to see than people think.

As much as we all want to love Coreplay it's also perfectly reasonable to lay the blame of the project's failure on them. They were behind schedule and were having problems with the game, and bitComposer were even able to throw them a bone which sounds like it let them make a game Coreplay were more enthusiastic about - yet Coreplay also apparently were still unwilling to state their plans for the rest of development or show any substantial progress to the publisher. Without having a real inside look, that, to me, shows that Coreplay are probably somewhat disorganized and lack strong enough management to deliver a game issue-free and on-schedule.

Last edited:

Capitalism

Educated
-Greetings, Jordan Weisman. Did you know that some people on our forum call you a FUCKING GREEDY JEW?
B.t.w. it's true. HBS is like a jewiest of the jewiest companies of all time. Collect moneyz for mobile game from classic RPG players, make a game for "modern audiences", cut out some content for DLC, suddenly remember that DRM-free will fuck up your moneyz-milking business plan, deploy some download counters for those who play DRM-free, so you can get them to steam and their DRM+DLC paradise. Then you act like all of the above was an accident and tell your players "sorry, lol".
This is a good example of a shitty developer, that desperately needs the dose of some shEAtty publisher.

On other hand we have the almost cancelled game because of legal issues. bitComposer and, I belive, Coreplay interested in Chaos Chronicles. Codex wants this game to be released too, and brings some attention to the problem with a good article. With the help of some outside coverage the game may have a chance + some marketing and reputation profits for publisher and developer. So interview is really great, no matter what local professional verbal abuse victims say.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
This game looked so good. I watched the trailer a while back and thought, that looks so awesome. You could just see the immersion in it.

The forces of decline are powerful. They are many and they inhabit the high places. The forces of incline are few and struggle against massive odds.

I hope somebody realizes that the game is basically presold to a lot of people and has the sense to go ahead and bring it out.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'd still love to know how much time Coreplay would want to finish the game? Three months? Six months? A year? Ten years?

Fake edit: Oh, Cleve.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This game looked so good. I watched the trailer a while back and thought, that looks so awesome. You could just see the immersion in it.

The forces of decline are powerful. They are many and they inhabit the high places. The forces of incline are few and struggle against massive odds.

I hope somebody realizes that the game is basically presold to a lot of people and has the sense to go ahead and bring it out.
Oh god, the irony.

I'd still love to know how much time Coreplay would want to finish the game? Three months? Six months? A year? Ten years?
17 years?

Monty

Arcane
Perhaps there's a German version of Cleve who worked on CC and in a few years time will spill the beans on what really went on in a new 'Sir-Tech thread', complete with bizarre sexual fetishes.

It'll keep us entertained until the Grimoire superdemo comes out.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014

i threw against irony and got a critical failure. the amount of irony is so massive that i got crushed by it and suffered brain damage.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
* Responsiveness. I've always felt that the IE was very responsive to player input and AI state changes. Selection, movement, and execution of commands were all very "crisp" in the IE games, probably owing to its roots as Battleground Infinity (an RTS). Other than pathfinding, controlling characters felt good in the IE (IMO, anyway) -- better than it does in a lot of other RPGs.

:bro:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Good interview, Grunker. bitComopser seems honest in most answers (though not all). I am eagerly waiting for Coreplay responses now.

St. Toxic

Arcane
This is why I visit RPGShitdex. Shitterviews with publishitters about shitty games that don't get shat, and all anyone can shit about is whether namecalling shit is appropriate. Everythingshit really is shit.

Also,

At this point, anyone who claims to know the truth and is not directly involved is probably talking out of his or her ass.

Oh come on. Isn't that just a euphemism for shitting? No need to sugarcoat your words.

Rake

Arcane

:bro:
:bro: That. IE games were among the most responsive and unclunky games ever. In fact, most RTS are responsive compaired to RPGs. The hate for IE games is from TB fanatics, but if you look at it objectively, among RTwP RPGs, the IE were the best as combat flow goes.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Very interesting interview btw, with the whole shitcomposer sadly detracting from it. If we take this guy's word by heart then it all seems a whole legal and contractual mess from the start. Which can quickly lead to things going to the shitter when communications and/or faith in the parties present break down. To me this interview does not look like an open hand, a publisher trying to protect its good name, an attempt or communication. It looks like a thoroughly soured relationship's battles being fought out in public. And that does not bode well for the game.

What I'm looking forward mostly is these people putting things aside and try and get a form of communication going that goes beyond slinging shit through interviews. Doubt that's going to happen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom