Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2018: Results & Cool Graphs

ortucis

Prophet
I didn't know so many people liked Ghost of Tale,didn't know it was and rpg too but these days everyone and their mothers are rpgs so...

Ghost of a Tale is underrated. Most people don't even know it exists since gaym journalists are busy ignoring it while YouTube twats are busy playing Fortnite.

That said, it isn't much of an RPG..

Deleted Member 22431

I was reading this piece about the new Star Wars movies yesterday. This part made me think:

Kathleen Kennedy didn't like the franchise, because it was, indeed, a boys' adventure franchise.

Instead of making a boys' adventure franchise she didn't get and didn't like, she made it into something she could like: a girls' empowerment fantasy.

Felipepepe is the same thing. He doesn’t like polls, because they are popularity contests. Thus, instead of making a popularity contest, he made it into something else he could like: promoting obscure irrelevant cRPGs, jRPGs and games that no one reasonable would include in a list of cRPGs.

Leftists have no feelings of obligation towards the tasks with which they are entrusted because they always have some social goal that is deemed more worthy. That’s why we see teachers doing activism at the expense of teaching, movie directors ruining a established franchise and cRPG poll makers adulterating their systems of evaluation.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I don't really see the poll being open an issue. Codex is a low traffic site where non-members aren't going to be hanging around. And felipepe manually removed the obvious troll posts.

Bohr

Arcane
I don't really see the poll being open an issue. Codex is a low traffic site where non-members aren't going to be hanging around. And felipepe manually removed the obvious troll posts.

Would agree if it was only promoted on the Codex, instead of the voting link being tweeted around

Fairfax

Arcane
Also, can we please stop with this naive idea that a Codex-only poll would bring some kind of purity? We did this. We saw the results. Tons of alts, and a result that gets more casual the older the accounts are.
The alts had an account attached to them, and at least one could tell how many of them voted and how. An open poll has nothing of the sort, and the amount of people voting multiple times becomes a bigger problem than trolls. People could (and did) vote multiple times to manipulate the result.

As for the thing about older accounts, that wasn't the case with the 'Age of Incline' poll. The result from new accounts was far more casual:
VbktpA2.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The discovery, I believe, was that older users were just as enthusiastic about The Witcher 3 specifically. That was the big surprise that year.

It turns out there's a "multiplatform AAA lane" in the RPG Codex GOTY awards. This year, Kingdom Come competed in that lane.

Perkel

Arcane
I don't see it as big surprise.
Most of users who create accounts here usually are lurkers who onserved side for years.

I lurked here years before setting up account.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The discovery, I believe, was that older users were just as enthusiastic about The Witcher 3 specifically. That was the big surprise that year.

Agreed. Heavily storyfaggy games like that, with terrible systems to boot, are usually not Codex darlings.

Then again it's possible the Pollacks hacked our elections.

Fairfax

Arcane
They weren't just as enthusiastic about it, though. It did win with 2002-2007 users, but 2002-2003 users didn't like it as much, and Underrail beats TW3 among them.

After doing more tests, I noticed TW3 goes down quite a bit depending on the years being considered. It loses to other games in various groups within 2007-2015, being ranked as low as 4th or 5th depending on the period. 2011-2012 users liked TW3 the least, followed by 2014-2015 users:
Sq8UoW9.png

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I was reading this piece about the new Star Wars movies yesterday. This part made me think:

Kathleen Kennedy didn't like the franchise, because it was, indeed, a boys' adventure franchise.

Instead of making a boys' adventure franchise she didn't get and didn't like, she made it into something she could like: a girls' empowerment fantasy.

Felipepepe is the same thing. He doesn’t like polls, because they are popularity contests. Thus, instead of making a popularity contest, he made it into something else he could like: promoting obscure irrelevant cRPGs, jRPGs and games that no one reasonable would include in a list of cRPGs.

Leftists have no feelings of obligation towards the tasks with which they are entrusted because they always have some social goal that is deemed more worthy. That’s why we see teachers doing activism at the expense of teaching, movie directors ruining a established franchise and cRPG poll makers adulterating their systems of evaluation.

I just fucking woke up, it's 6PM, I have a headeache ; I open this shit thread, "RPG Codex 2018 GOTY" - my hands are shaking - I read this post. It's a very serious post. Adulterating their systems of evaluation. This is what it's all about. I smash my head on the wall, I yell and a strong desire to gouge out my eyes overwhelm me. All is as it should be. Cheers, buddy. One day you'll empower a girl with your dick, but before that happens, you need to be empowered yourself, you little fuck. It'll all be over quickly

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
What the hell, I missed voting! Don't fall in love bros, don't fall in love...
Anyway these are nice results that I can get behind. Savour this while it lasts because 2019 will be much worse.

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

It turns out there's a "multiplatform AAA lane" in the RPG Codex GOTY awards. This year, Kingdom Come competed in that lane.

Or maybe, you know, they are good games? I know, radical opinion, but hey, you never know.

V_K

Arcane

Or maybe, you know, they are good games? I know, radical opinion, but hey, you never know.
Achtung! We have an agent of decline our midst!

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Achtung! We have an agent of decline our midst!

Maybe. But consider this point of view: Games are not characterized by any one portion of their constituents like the mechanics, the graphics, the perspective, storytelling, design of areas etc. Their quality is a result of a combination of them into a whole. Witcher 3 or KCD might fail on individual fronts for some of us (yes, me too) but they succeed as a full product. It is easy to be a narrow-minded bigot about these things and ignore the bigger picture. But then, on the codex, that attitude has never been lacking.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Or maybe, you know, they are good games?

They are - they just isn't RPG.
Wicher 3 has wonderful everything cinematic experience related - VO, dialogs, cutscenes.
It has so-so quests.
And it has TERRIBAD figthing, exploring and open-world system.
Famous "I killed bunch of mobs and found a sword only to buy better from smith 10 minutes later" are exist for a reason.

Me personally scared of fact that I should spend a lot of time on bad parts, just to see good ones like dialogues.

Mortmal

Arcane
And the hidden gems of this year are...?

The 7th circle?
Vagante?
CrossCode?
Siralim 3?
Das Geisterschiff / The Ghost Ship?
Epic Battle Fantasy 5?
Exiled Kingdoms?
Hero-u?
Star traders?
Lurking II?
Star trader for sure. Heard good things from crosscode too.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
It has combat, NPCs, quests, itemization and character development. It's has all the RPG systems. Most of them are terrible but they're there.

Systems-wise KCD is a pureblood oldschool RPG, the best single-character RPG ever made.

You are right, but TW3 - not talking about KCD here - feels like, or better - not like RPG.
It feels like adventure game? Visual novel? Dunno.
Even Bethesda's games are better RPGs in my opinion, and that direction where TW3 turned is very dangerous for RPGs in my opinion. It's pure decline.

SniperHF

Arcane
not like RPG.

Back when it came out I liked to call it Witcher Simulator 2015.

I liked KCD well enough but "pureblood oldschool" RPG is.......too much but a lot.
I appreciate KCD in a similar way I liked the first Witcher game. It's not a purist RPG experience but it doesn't treat you like a moron.

MaDPuPPeT

Krome Studios
Developer
MaDPuPPeT from Krome Studios.
Just wanted to pop on to say thanks for everyone who voted for our Bards Tale Trilogy Remaster.
its been an awesome year working on it. I found I really enjoy working on remasters and seeing glowing reviews from people spending 140+ hrs in Steam playing a 30yr old game is some real job satisfaction!
We hope you enjoy our upcoming Wasteland remaster as well, and hopefully more news later in the year of other projects.
My hopes are that one day we can use this success to kick off some new original CRPG games as well, but for now I'm pretty happy just remastering some of my favourite games rpgs from my Amiga days.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
MaDPuPPeT from Krome Studios.
Just wanted to pop on to say thanks for everyone who voted for our Bards Tale Trilogy Remaster.
its been an awesome year working on it. I found I really enjoy working on remasters and seeing glowing reviews from people spending 140+ hrs in Steam playing a 30yr old game is some real job satisfaction!
We hope you enjoy our upcoming Wasteland remaster as well, and hopefully more news later in the year of other projects.
My hopes are that one day we can use this success to kick off some new original CRPG games as well, but for now I'm pretty happy just remastering some of my favourite games rpgs from my Amiga days.

Hell yeah.

Feel free to share insights and updates in our threads here: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...logy-remastered-bards-tale-2-released.103577/
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...edition-remaster-coming-in-early-2019.122411/

Deleted Member 16721

Awesome, you guys did a great job by the looks of it with the Bard's Tale remasters. The Wasteland remaster is going to be epic I'm sure, and introduce a lot of new players to the franchise that started it all. Good luck in kicking off your own CRPGs too, that would be great!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom