Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2018: Results & Cool Graphs

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Then why we can;t have both polls - one for Codexers only, another one for everyone.
Then there could be conducted analysis about what are the differences, why they are, and what that mean.
Analysis least once, not every year.
There are two polls,i do the codex only during december and he does the plebeian one in january. Both threads about talking over the games from the year and shittossing.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I'm still at a loss as to how games like Lords of Xulima, Blackguards etc don't even make the top 5 in their respective years in that list collection. Both were 2014 & while people might have considered Neo Scavenger more 'novel' (possibly shilled?) both Xulima and Blackguards are clearly better cRPGs & Dark Souls 2? Legends of Grimrock 2? Even Dragonfall DC didn't really have enough of a cRPG system to out cRPG both blackguards and Xulima. Xulima had a mid-November release date which probably didn't help, but even still.
It's a disgrace that the Legend of Grimrock games didn't each win their respective years. :rpgcodex: Nothing else in 2012 or 2014 came close.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I'm still at a loss as to how games like Lords of Xulima, Blackguards etc don't even make the top 5 in their respective years in that list collection. Both were 2014 & while people might have considered Neo Scavenger more 'novel' (possibly shilled?) both Xulima and Blackguards are clearly better cRPGs & Dark Souls 2? Legends of Grimrock 2? Even Dragonfall DC didn't really have enough of a cRPG system to out cRPG both blackguards and Xulima. Xulima had a mid-November release date which probably didn't help, but even still.
It's a disgrace that the Legend of Grimrock games didn't each win their respective years. :rpgcodex: Nothing else in 2012 or 2014 came close.

Real time dancing blobbers?

Zer0wing

Cipher
No really, how come there was no KCD review? It's because not all DLCs are out yet?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
1. Popamole dressed up as cRPG
2. Old-school cRPG dressed up as popamole
3. the real Van Buren

We're on the Codex so obviously the 2018: The Isometric Game was a shoo-in. This year's fastfood drive-thru version of Baldur's Gate.

Pleasantly surprised with how highly KCD scored, considering it's not isometric.

ATOM looks like a genuine gem but its 3rd place is mainly due to it being isometric.

Thanks to felipepepe for running the show, the best GOTY since the last one and until the next one.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
There are two polls,i do the codex only during december and he does the plebeian one in january. Both threads about talking over the games from the year and shittossing.

I never heard of it or forgot already - I mean both poll in the same time, both on news page like that one, so everyone can see and vote.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
No really, how come there was no KCD review? It's because not all DLCs are out yet?
There's a handful of people who are willing to write reviews for the Codex, and if they're not interested in a particular game, it's not going to happen. :M

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
We're on the Codex so obviously the 2018: The Isometric Game was a shoo-in. This year's fastfood drive-thru version of Baldur's Gate.
You clearly don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about, but I suppose that's never stopped anyone on this site.

Food for thought: If all it took to win Codex GOTY was being a "fastfood drive-thru version of Baldur's Gate" then why did neither of the Pillars of Eternity games win?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If all it took to win Codex GOTY was being a "fastfood drive-thru version of Baldur's Gate" then why did neither of the Pillars of Eternity games win?

D:OS proved to be a better isometric game than PoE.
Different years.

You're right, that year's winner was 2015: The Fallout Game.

My point stands.
But 2018: The Fallout Game is ATOM and it didn't win.

Your point is still retarded.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If all it took to win Codex GOTY was being a "fastfood drive-thru version of Baldur's Gate" then why did neither of the Pillars of Eternity games win?

D:OS proved to be a better isometric game than PoE.
Different years.

You're right, that year's winner was 2015: The Fallout Game.

My point stands.
But 2018: The Fallout Game is ATOM and it didn't win.

Your point is still retarded.

Bc 2018: The Baldur's Gate proved to be a more popular isometric game.

My point stands and you have been defeated.

Bc 2018: The Baldur's Game proved to be a more popular isometric game.

My point stands and you have been defeated.
From what I can tell, your point is that all you have to do to win Codex GOTY is make some shitty clone of an older beloved game. Which obviously isn't true, or PoE wouldn't have been in fucking 41st place in 2015. From this we can conclude that a game has to do more than just ape some aspects of older games to win. For example, Kingmaker not only does the BG clone aspect well, it also does a lot of cool shit that BG didn't. Of course, you have no idea that this is the case because you didn't play it.

Basically, you seem butthurt that KC: D didn't win because you liked it and it did some original things. Hey I get it, I liked it too, it would have been a fine GOTY. But Kingmaker deserves it just as much.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
From what I can tell, your point is that all you have to do to win Codex GOTY is make some shitty clone of an older beloved game. Which obviously isn't true, or PoE wouldn't have been in fucking 41st place in 2015. From this we can conclude that a game has to do more than just ape some aspects of older games to win. For example, Kingmaker not only does the BG clone aspect well, it also does a lot of cool shit that BG didn't. Of course, you have no idea that this is the case because you didn't play it.

Calm down bro, I'm just playing. Just wryly ribbing Codex for being faggy about isometric RPGs.

ALTHOUGH....If I'm right the only party based isometric RPG coming out next year is Wasteland 3! And that won't win bc Codex hates inXile!!!

Wellll, do we see a light in the tunel? Did just a pathway opened for something else to shine? Maybe Outer Worlds? Or Monomyth? :bounce:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Or maybe Grimoire would be eligible for the 2019 race, due to V2. A loophole, sure, but if not even Codex puts Grimoire on a pedestal we defeat the whole point of our existence.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I vaguely recall someone volunteering to do one, Kyl Von Kull perhaps?

oh yeah... it's because I'm waiting for all the DLC to come out! that is totally the explanation. 100%.

I haven't finished the game yet. Really enjoyed the first half, but then combat became too trivial when my stats got too high. I'll circle back once the fucking stock market stops behaving like a manic depressive who's gone off his meds and I have more free time.

Zer0wing

Cipher
I'll circle back once the fucking stock market stops behaving like a manic depressive who's gone off his meds and I have more free time.
Does this mean we won't see you again? When the so-called stock market stops running back and forth, it won't be a pleasant sight of worldwide crisis.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Too soon for a Roguey Retrospective? :obviously:
If no one's written one by the time I've played it, I will make a serious attempt at a Pathfinder: Kingmaker review that I suppose will be as comparably rage-inducing as the one I wrote for ToEE.

(this should be a good incentive for someone to write one)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom