Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2019: Results & Cool Graphs

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Seriously, which DM would you choose - one that forces to resolve every confrontation through violence, or the one that prefers multiple-choice quizzes?
FTFY
And the answer is neither.
Smartassing. Until we get a cognitive AI the multiple choice dialogues are a tech limitation closest to IRL open ended dialogue.
Parsers have existed since times immemorial.

And only allowed for a pretty basic conversation, with players asking and receicing simple information.

V_K

Arcane
Seriously, which DM would you choose - one that forces to resolve every confrontation through violence, or the one that prefers multiple-choice quizzes?
FTFY
Smartassing. Until we get a cognitive AI the multiple choice dialogues are a tech limitation closest to IRL open ended dialogue.

And only allowed for a pretty basic conversation, with players asking and receicing simple information.
Which is of course an inherent flaw of the parsers and not a technological limitation of times immemorial. And which is still closer to a "natural" conversation than multiple-choice quizzes.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
FTFY

Which is of course an inherent flaw of the parsers and not a technological limitation of times immemorial. And which is still closer to a "natural" conversation than multiple-choice quizzes.
This is literally the reason why since times immemorial Weizenbaum's Eliza didn't pass the Turing test. Inability to comprehend more than keywords.

V_K

Arcane
FTFY

This is literally the reason why since times immemorial Weizenbaum's Eliza didn't pass the Turing test. Inability to comprehend more than keywords.
Oh yes. And CYOA books apparently pass it with flying colors.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
FTFY

Oh yes. And CYOA books apparently pass it with flying colors.
Go play some platformers.

Deleted Member 22431

Actual combatfags abstained because they didn't buy this VN filth while the Communists used a VPN to vote for their party line darling.
They abstained because Felipepepe turned the GOTY pools in a poor excuse to include whatever obscure shitty game he wants to promote, especially games that would never fit in any reasonable definition of cRPG. DE is the least of our problems.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Hating on DE because you don't agree with the devs on ideology, or any other religion is one thing, but trying to come from the point of

"My roleplaying opportunities are ruined since I can't attack-click on enemies. Sorry, not an RPG."?

Who would be so retarded to actually believe that argument?
Plenty of people are using it.....and all of them in the liberal spectrum.

Commies acusing other people of having leftist ideologies.
This is hilarious as it is sad since it's coming from the Codex and not Twitter...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hating on DE because you don't agree with the devs on ideology, or any other religion is one thing, but trying to come from the point of

"My roleplaying opportunities are ruined since I can't attack-click on enemies. Sorry, not an RPG."?

This is hilarious as it is sad since it's coming from the Codex and not Twitter...
libtard :smug:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
i

tenor.gif

:smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
You are very bad at reading graphs if you think it got a high score. It ranked #38 in the voting, FFS.
Was this before or after you removed votes if a person happened to vote 1 on DE?
Yes, I removed all 1/4 votes for Disco, that's why almost 25% of the votes it got are 1/4... :roll:

I know you are extremely butthurt, but at least try to be butthurt and funny, not butthurt and retarded.

You can argue about the nature of RPG's all you want, but the fact that The Outer Worlds, one of the worst RPG's I've had the displeasure of playing, got such high scores is the real shocker.

You are very bad at reading graphs if you think it got a high score. It ranked #38 in the voting, FFS.

Hmmmmm... Let's just read some pages before:

Which only confirms that Dedfire is a decent game. It's up there in the "new classics" crowd.

Not just "decent", but one of the best RPGs of the decade. And the graph supports that.

Maybe some people got burned out by playing it on release (clearly they didn't learn their lesson from PoE1), but they added a great turn-based mode, extremely challenging boss battles and DLCs that add very interesting fights with traps, environmental damage and all those things missing from PoE1.

I don't know if you (also) are very bad at reading graphs but Deadfire don't score even among 20 best crpgs of those 8 years, just imagine if we talk about the full decade (+2011 & 2020). Codexers don't consider PoEII one of the best RPGs of the decade, but according polls it's only a mediocre game, an aspirant to the kinda-ok throne, the graph supports that.

Last night I was going to write a message about your fabulously optimistic perception of which are the "new classics". Let's discuss now.

We can't predict future, but seems reasonable to think that the fact that some of the games most played obtained so mediocre ratings, add certain level of plausibility to the idea that the probability for those games to become "new classics" is very, very low. Even more if we add the actualist bias in all these GOTYs polls, because most people on the codex (and I think most rpg players in general) don't play games on release or play extensively only 1-2 of those rpgs per year and that is reflected in your polls also.

PoE II obtained 2,90 as bayesian average and 70% positive ratings. So only counting last 3 years there are 15 games with better bayesian average than PoE II and 22 games with better positive rating percentage, only counting those played by more than a 10%.

Polls before 2017, including the Age of Incline (2012-2016) had a 5 points system so it's difficult to compare with certain degree of accuracy. Bayesian averages are wildly higher in older polls by the fact to include 1 point more. On the other hand positive ratings percentages are smaller in older polls (so there is a little advantage to newer games), but as the differences are moderate in this perspective, let's compare:

PoE II is in 27th place in regard positive ratings in those last 8 years.

How can be considered "a new classic" (as in your graph) or "one of the best of the decade" a game that could be placed at maximum at 27 position (and probably well below) counting only 8 years of that decade?

Finally a derived question. If 30 to 40 games (around 30 to include DE, 40 probably to include PoE II) are considered "new classics" released in this decade, wich it's extremely under the quality of the Golden Age and the Rennaissance Era, How many classics we could include in a full perspective, 41 years of crpg History? 200? 300?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Why are you disputing that PoE 2 is a new classic when it already scored very highly in our 101 RPGs list?

And why are you asking this to someone who already did a book with the past 40 years of RPGs and listed more than 350 games? Not saying they are all must-play classics, but I hate this trend of thinking of the genre as a monolyth. You can love RPGs but never touch a single Wizardry-clone, yet that doesn't mean the Elminage series aren't among the best RPGs of the decade too

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Was PoE 2 really that controversial? I thought most generally agreed it was an improvement over the first game gameplay wise.

Even Roxor thought it was "Pretty Alright".

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Gog release when?

When they no longer consider it 'too niche'. This might help, but I'm not holding my breath at this point.

On another note: I still haven't played Disco so I can't comment, but I can throw some oil on the fire by saying that Expedition is so big it might as well have been Underrail 2. I loved it. Could it have beaten Disco if it was?

Last edited by a moderator:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Gog release when?

When they no longer consider it 'too niche'. This might help, but I'm not holding my breath at this point.

On another note: I still haven't played Disco so I can't comment, but I can throw some oil on the fire by saying that Expedition is so big it might as well have been Underrail 2. I loved it. Could it have beaten Disco if it was?
It did. Going by Bayesian average across all categories, Expeditions was #1.

Last edited by a moderator:

FeelTheRads

Arcane

libtard :smug:

Even better "THIS IS CURRENT YEAR GET WITH THE TIMES" braindead retards accusing others of having leftists ideologies.

Trashos

Arcane
Why are you disputing that PoE 2 is a new classic when it already scored very highly in our 101 RPGs list?

Eh, the two PoEs ranked #45, right? Everyone is going to have their favorites, but I do not think we can claim that there are 45 classic RPGs. That is a huge number, and as such "classic" loses its meaning. Therefore, I do not think that this argument stands.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Eh, the two PoEs ranked #45, right? Everyone is going to have their favorites, but I do not think we can claim that there are 45 classic RPGs. That is a huge number, and as such "classic" loses its meaning. Therefore, I do not think that this argument stands.
How many classic books or movies would you say there are? RPGs have been around for 40 years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom