Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2019: Results & Cool Graphs

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why are you disputing that PoE 2 is a new classic when it already scored very highly in our 101 RPGs list?

Eh, the two PoEs ranked #45, right? Everyone is going to have their favorites, but I do not think we can claim that there are 45 classic RPGs. That is a huge number, and as such "classic" loses its meaning. Therefore, I do not think that this argument stands.
This reminds me to look forward to the butthurt next time we update the Codex top 100 and DE is in the top 10.

Deleted Member 22431

How many classic books or movies would you say there are? RPGs have been around for 40 years.
The comparison is misleading. How many books and movies are in comparison to cRPGs? In one single year, you have more movies released than all cRPGs released combined.

Deleted Member 22431

This reminds me to look forward to the butthurt next time we update the Codex top 100 and DE is in the top 10.
This DE thing is a fad that will be short-lived. The game is excruciating linear with zero replayability. You play it one time, you see it all. The next year and afterward cRPGs with actual content will be released and the enthusiasm will diminish. This always happens. Time doesn't forgive hype.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted Member 22431

I haven't played it yet, but wouldn't it be correct to say that Disco Elysium has a similar structure to, well, Planescape: Torment?
PS:T has ton of combat, D&D system, traditional dialogue system, memorable characters, one of the best settings ever, and managed to tie exploration, itemization and the whole game world in a journey of self-discovery. DE can't hold a candle to PS:T.

tripedal

Augur
I haven't played it yet, but wouldn't it be correct to say that Disco Elysium has a similar structure to, well, Planescape: Torment?
PS:T has ton of combat, D&D system, traditional dialogue system, memorable characters, one of the best settings ever, and managed to tie exploration, itemization and the whole game world in a journey of self-discovery. DE can't hold a candle to PS:T.

Imagine thinking that PS:T's "tons of combat" is a positive.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The actual structure of the story in PS:T is mostly linear with only a very few genuinely impactful choices and a lot of fake/inconsequential ones. Disco Disco is the same.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How many classic books or movies would you say there are? RPGs have been around for 40 years.
The comparison is misleading. How many books and movies are in comparison to cRPGs? In one single year, you have more movies released than all cRPGs released combined.

It's a subgenre so the comparison to make is with the number of classic fantasy and sci-fi films.

Deleted Member 22431

It's a subgenre so the comparison to make is with the number of classic fantasy and sci-fi films.
But in that case the original criticism remains. How many classics do you have in classic fantasy and sci-films? Very feel to the point that we have no consensual cannon.

Deleted Member 22431

Imagine thinking that PS:T's "tons of combat" is a positive.
Imagine thinking that dialogue "combat" is an improvement over PS:T. The fact is that PS:T would be a chore without its trash combat. It adds pace and meaning to character progression. T:ToN proved that they were wrong about this subject. Why are people still repeating this mistake? Oh, right! It's because DE has no combat, so you have to pretend the absence of combat is good in storyfag games.

Deleted Member 22431

The actual structure of the story in PS:T is mostly linear with only a very few genuinely impactful choices and a lot of fake/inconsequential ones. Disco Disco is the same.
But the themes are strong and have a long-lasting impact. You can replay PS:T again and it is still fresh. Twitter-inspired dialogues on the other hand, well, not so much.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

PS:T has ton of combat,

Bad combat. It would be a better game without most of it.

D&D system,

Pretty basic. You only have three classes available to The Nameless One, four for the companions. And obviously there is only one build for TNO that allows you get the most of the game: a high int/wis/cha mage. In DE at least you have more sensible builds.

traditional dialogue system

Same as Disco Elysium.

memorable characters

Same as Disco Elysium.

one of the best settings ever

Same as Disco Elysium.

managed to tie exploration, itemization and the whole game world in a journey of self-discovery

Same as Disco Elysium.

DE can't hold a candle to PS:T.

In 1999 people like you would shit on Planescape: Torment, because it was not another simplistic game about killing things. It's just that years have passed and butthurt has abated. Now you can try to use P:T as a weapon to bash DE (not very successfully, as can be seen above).

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I take it this:
This DE thing is a fad that will be short-lived. The game is excruciating linear with zero replayability. You play it one time, you see it all.
wasn't meant as a criticism then?

You're free to like linear RPGs only when they're good, but that's such an obvious statement it's not really worth saying, and you've wasted a lot of words arriving there.

Deleted Member 22431

Bad combat. It would be a better game without most of it.
No, it wouldn't, as T:ToN and DE so eloquently showed.

D&D system, Pretty basic. You only have three classes available to The Nameless One, four for the companions. And obviously there is only one build for TNO that allows you get the most of the game: a high int/wis/cha mage. In DE at least you have more sensible builds.

What is that I hear? Wait, did you just suggest that D&D system is inferior to DE?????????

2ceea291e7a54733e8f0fdc1d52d0ead.jpg

In 1999 people like you would shit on Planescape: Torment, because it was not another simplistic game about killing things. It's just that years have passed and butthurt has abated. Now you can try to use P:T as a weapon to bash DE (not very successfully, as can be seen above).

D E L U D E D

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The saltiness over DE is turning into an RPG in itself.

:avatard:

I can't wait for the 2020 controversy. I almost hope Cyberpunk wins just to see how much butthurt it causes.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yours, however, seems like the game is the coming of apocalypse and that all new rpgs are going to turn into shit.

The thought of AAA devs firing tons of artists and graphics people to hire writers amuses me greatly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom