Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2019: Results & Cool Graphs

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Again, arguing for few "classic RPGs" is for narrow-minded idiots who only respect mega hits like Skyrim and Witcher 3.

RPGs are a very diverse genre, with several sub-genres, each with their own canon. You cannot talk about RT blobbers without mentioning Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder, even though those games rank low or are absent from the top 101 list.

Deleted Member 22431

This always happens. Time doesn't forgive hype
So why are you acting like this?
What do you mean by ‘acting like this’? Do I need an excuse to discuss cRPGs and game design? Right now this game is the focus of discussion and so I’m expressing my opinions about it. Next month it will be another game, and the month after another one, and so on.

My only problem with the game is calling it an rpg. Yours, however, seems like the game is the coming of apocalypse and that all new rpgs are going to turn into shit. Yet, is not DE supposed to be a fad?

The problem is not with the game itself, but with the pretentious devs. If people want to innovate cRPG by emulating twitter, we are fucked. You don't need to like the game. You only need to emulate the developers and what they represent: mascots of innovation.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Gog release when?

When they no longer consider it 'too niche'. This might help, but I'm not holding my breath at this point.

On another note: I still haven't played Disco so I can't comment, but I can throw some oil on the fire by saying that Expedition is so big it might as well have been Underrail 2. I loved it. Could it have beaten Disco if it was?

Voted

Last edited by a moderator:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
who are you even talking about my dude, are you worried that Bethesda and Obsidian are going to start making badly written games

Exactly my point, are people seriously expecting AAA devs to start emulating DE?

DE is the very definition of a niche title, the slavering console hordes don't want to read things.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Bad combat. It would be a better game without most of it.
No, it wouldn't, as T:ToN and DE so eloquently showed.

You clearly do not understand, why Torment: Tides of Numenera failed. It was not because the combat (which was present and even better: turn-based, although it was not a very good implementation of the system) but because the elements on which Planescape:Torment relied heavily: the plot, the characters, the journey of the main hero - all failed in the "spiritual sequel".

It was wordy, but devoid of meaning.

D&D system, Pretty basic. You only have three classes available to The Nameless One, four for the companions. And obviously there is only one build for TNO that allows you get the most of the game: a high int/wis/cha mage. In DE at least you have more sensible builds.

What is that I hear? Wait, did you just suggest that D&D system is inferior to DE?????????

I don't have much respect for 2nd edition of AD&D (I much prefer D&D v.3,5), especially for the simplified version implemented in P:T. However, it's not even a point.

The point is: the ruleset simply did not fit this type of a game the devs wanted to create, but had to be implemented anyway due to licencing reasons and the fact that the game used infinity engine anyway. However, the system rarely makes sense in the context of P:T. TNO starts his journey as a fighter and later gets the options to change class to mage or thief. However, strength, dexterity and constitution are obviously dump stats, as opposed to intellect, wisdom and charisma. While high intellect is required for a mage, the two other stats are useful mostly for the dialogue stat checks and opening more options concerning the plot (you can't even get the best ending without high wisdom. TNO cannot become a cleric or a bard, so he has no other uses for those stats. While strength, constitution and even dexterity (no armors for TNO!) are useful for the fighter class, there are a trap when it comes to the plot content of the game. They simply do not open interesting options to progress.

Disco Elysium stat system is perhaps more simple on the surface, but is tailored to the type of game the developpers wanted to make. It workes exactly how they wanted it to work. There are no dump stats, each one is connected to at least one or two useful skills. You can experience the game differently if you create an intellectual, spiritualist or a brutal "Dirty Harry" style cop, but you each journey will be meaningful and interesting.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
All that pointless discussion on DE aside, I think the Codex underrated Greedfall and Outer Worlds.

That's fine, of course. The whole underdog thing makes them even more attractive to me. :shittydog:

:P ;)

I can't speak to Greedfall as I've not played it, but I definitely disagree with you on Outer Worlds.

If anything I think it was overrated on the poll.

Peachcurl

Cipher
I can't speak to Greedfall as I've not played it, but I definitely disagree with you on Outer Worlds.

If anything I think it was overrated on the poll.

We don't have to agree on this of course. But looking at some of the stuff that's ranked ahead of both of these... like Outward... Cat Quest 2 (wat?) ...
I'm just glad Rune II is ranked even worse, otherwise I'd be seriously pissed. ;)

Why are you disputing that PoE 2 is a new classic when it already scored very highly in our 101 RPGs list?

Because the actualist bias, many mediocre/kinda ok games that are very trendy 4-5 years, sunk after that in collective consideration. For example in mid 2000s KotOR I and Neverwinter Nights I were very popular on the codex despite some butthurt, to the point that they achieved 12th and 13th positions in codex 2007 general poll.

Also, in regard 2019 and 2014 general polls, their methodology don't favour the overview but the competition among a very limited set of games. Simply check the huge gap between first games and all the rest. General polls have been a popularity contest between 10-15 games since fist years. To have a poll minimally accurate over "a codex consensus " we would need other methodology more focused on long lists of must play with no points to distribute.

I agree that the period of extreme productivity since indie boom brought a new incline for crpgs and PC in general, but I think his scope is more limited than what you and other codexers claim. Probably only 8-10 games of this period will become cult classics on the codex (and on my personal list only around 5).

And why are you asking this to someone who already did a book with the past 40 years of RPGs and listed more than 350 games? Not saying they are all must-play classics,

Because just that is what I'm discussing, the fact that PoE I and II will probably suit better in a general list of the evolution of crpg genre that as supossed "new classic" (Some semantic difference with "must-play classics?).

How many cult classics, must-play crpgs are in the never accurately polled codex consensus? I think less than 100 games.

but I hate this trend of thinking of the genre as a monolyth. You can love RPGs but never touch a single Wizardry-clone, yet that doesn't mean the Elminage series aren't among the best RPGs of the decade too

Well I agree, my vision of crpgs is not monolythic, but that doesn't mean that everything must be allowed. I think a genre must have some boundaries to make sense. And as other codexer already said (I can't find, maybe Zed) seems as if some codexers were pushing the idea that "the genre is very flexible" or even "can't be defined" intentionally so it's possible to include in the genre every game that they like. Most strategy games, classic graphic adventures, pure action games aren't crpgs.

There are few exceptions and hybrids, but they there are clear genre borders. I would say that vast majority of games included in the Crpg book share the same basic traits, while a little minority, a 10% or less sharing only some of those features to diverse degrees. Therea bunch very doubtful games however, in the books, in top 101 and now in 2019 Goty poll. But I insist, that's not monolithic, that's reasonable, if some particular don't match the features of the some specific group, then is because is not part of that group.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Again, arguing for few "classic RPGs" is for narrow-minded idiots who only respect mega hits like Skyrim and Witcher 3.

RPGs are a very diverse genre, with several sub-genres, each with their own canon. You cannot talk about RT blobbers without mentioning Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder, even though those games rank low or are absent from the top 101 list.
if slay the spire is an RPG then tetris is an RPG

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

Whilst I wouldn't personally consider Slay the Spire to be an RPG, that's a pretty silly comparison.

Spire has rudimentary "character" progression, randomised loot and encounters.

Again, not what I would personally call an RPG but it certainly has RPG elements.

Codex Year of the Donut

Whilst I wouldn't personally consider Slay the Spire to be an RPG, that's a pretty silly comparison.

Again, not what I would personally call an RPG but it certainly has RPG elements.
Tetris has randomized blocks and the blocks are weapons you use to attack other blocks. You have to kill all the blocks to level up and progress your quest to build a rocket ship.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

Tetris has randomized blocks and the blocks are weapons you use to attack other blocks. You have to kill all the blocks to level up and progress your quest to build a rocket ship.

Tetris has no character progression.

Spire has RPG elements, weak as they may be.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I agree that the period of extreme productivity since indie boom brought a new incline for crpgs and PC in general, but I think his scope is more limited than what you and other codexers claim. Probably only 8-10 games of this period will become cult classics on the codex (and on my personal list only around 5).
If that's your count, then I still think you are thinking of the genre as a single monolith with a singe player base.

If you like blobbers, then Grimoire and Legend of Grimrock II are really amazing. If you like Action-RPGs, you get Nier, Nioh, Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma. If you want Infinity Engine clones, go play Pillars or Pathfinder. Roguelike fans got ToME, Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, NEO Scavenger and Brogue. Diablo fans got path of Exile and Grim Dawn. If you like Fallout, you have Underrail, AoD and ATOM, and so on... a game doesn't have to be loved by everyone for it to be a new classic for a certain niche or sub-genre.

Codex Year of the Donut

Tetris has no character progression.

Spire has RPG elements, weak as they may be.
You progress towards building a rocket ship you dumbass. Stop being a bigot, if a game wants to identify as an RPG then it's an RPG now.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You progress towards building a rocket ship you dumbass. Stop being a bigot, if a game wants to identify as an RPG then it's an RPG now.
Then Pong is an RPG too, because you can rollplay as a paddle and the inexorability of the pixel bouncing back and forth is a subsumation of the shackles of the human condition. Work - home - work - home.

C'mon, bro... let's not be dense. >.>

Codex Year of the Donut
Then Pong is an RPG too, because you can rollplay as a paddle and the inexorability of the pixel bouncing back and forth is a subsumation of the shackles of the human condition. Work - home - work - home.

C'mon, bro... let's not be dense. >.>
I 100% agree.

If that's your count, then I still think you are thinking of the genre as a single monolith with a singe player base.

If you like blobbers, then Grimoire and Legend of Grimrock II are really amazing. If you like Action-RPGs, you get Nier, Nioh, Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma. If you want Infinity Engine clones, go play Pillars or Pathfinder. Roguelike fans got ToME, Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, NEO Scavenger and Brogue. Diablo fans got path of Exile and Grim Dawn. If you like Fallout, you have Underrail, AoD and ATOM, and so on... a game doesn't have to be loved by everyone for it to be a new classic for a certain niche or sub-genre.

:roll:

But it was you who included "new classics" categorization in the graph.

Why do you did this conceptual jump to "sub-genres"? We were talking about your categorization of some games as "new classics" in a codex canon that obviously "exist" (it's as simple as the average of codexers personal canons, without points, competition nor academical eagerness to exhaustivity). But codex classics weren't accurately tested by GOTYs or the last TOP 101, narrow and very limited competitions.

Why we should worry about different subgenres talking about codex canon? If codex canon totally ignored rogue-likes, blobbers. real time combats or diablo-likes, that wouldn't make it less precise. If the codex average opinion about THE 50 classics or must-play ignore a game that you,I or other 50 codexers like, that would be totally ok, because that's an average, it's not about equanimity nor exhaustivity.

However I'm pretty sure that a simple codex average "50 titles" canon would be much, much more exhaustive tham top-101 list.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Why are you disputing that PoE 2 is a new classic when it already scored very highly in our 101 RPGs list?

And why are you asking this to someone who already did a book with the past 40 years of RPGs and listed more than 350 games? Not saying they are all must-play classics, but I hate this trend of thinking of the genre as a monolyth. You can love RPGs but never touch a single Wizardry-clone, yet that doesn't mean the Elminage series aren't among the best RPGs of the decade too

Ahh this book with such RPG's:

C48RsZzVcAA9tIV

Trashos

Arcane
Eh, the two PoEs ranked #45, right? Everyone is going to have their favorites, but I do not think we can claim that there are 45 classic RPGs. That is a huge number, and as such "classic" loses its meaning. Therefore, I do not think that this argument stands.
How many classic books or movies would you say there are? RPGs have been around for 40 years.

Books have been around for several thousands of years. I am not the right person to answer the movie question, I only watch specific directors.

I do not have the top 100 votes in front of me, but the voted games must surely have formed tiers. #45 is a respectable position, but surely it is not very competitive with the top dogs. See also my answer to felipepepe below.

OK, let's follow this argument. In the Top 100 list, out of the isometric RTwP games PoEs rank #9 (if I counted correctly, I have not played everything on the list). #9 within its very specific genre. Again, not a classic.

(also no, PoEs are not "must-play". What would I have missed if I had not played PoE1? Nothing. I will only change my tune if they prove influential -in a positive manner. It is too early for that, but I do not see what they can prove influential about)

Drowed

Arcane
Ahh this book with such RPG's:

[ IMAGE ]

Skrillex is music, Sharknado is a movie, Svanen (The Swan) of HilmaafKlint is a painting, etc. Dawn of War 2 has more RPG elements than most action RPGs, but whether or not it's a good game is another point. A bad RPG is still an RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom