Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2019: Results & Cool Graphs

Fishy

Savant
It's also worth noticing the amount of people who played each game, DE was played by almost 70% of respondents, everything else is 20ish or less with the exception of Outer Worlds.

That, or DE is majestic enough that its detractors pretend having played it just to down its rating. That definitely tells me I'll have to pick it up soon. A game that triggers people so much must be doing something very right.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It's also worth noticing the amount of people who played each game, DE was played by almost 70% of respondents, everything else is 20ish or less with the exception of Outer Worlds.

That, or DE is majestic enough that its detractors pretend having played it just to down its rating. That definitely tells me I'll have to pick it up soon. A game that triggers people so much must be doing something very right.
Yeah Mass Effect 3 did a lot of things very right.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet

You should play Skyrim and Underworld Ascendant then. They are buried diamonds with your logic.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe Catherine is an rpg too.
Of course it is! Everything is an RPG now!!
And that which is not an RPG, must surely be an FPS-Battle-Royale or "something-something"-with crafting.

RPGs sure are on the rise again.
_Fwh-X.gif

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Similarly, Grimoire is low on the 2017 GOTY vote, didn't even made Top 10, so it's a shitty blobber? Or maybe it can be low on an overall poll but still be the best of its kind for fans of the genre?

Well, Grimoire made #22 on the Codex Top 100 RPG's of All Time, with only one other blobber ahead of it (Wiz 8). Whether it was the V2 improvements and bug fixes or something else, Grimoire ranked much better after a couple of years than in its release year.

rhollis

Educated
Patron
Why does everyone think Disco Elysium is communist?

It was funded by Estonian oligarch Magnus Linnemae, a member of the country’s right-wing Fatherland Party.

Let’s not forget that the Soviets invaded Estonia and forced communism on its people. Estonians typically had a very negative experience under communist rule and that really seems to come through in the world building of DE.

Estonian lead developer and writer Robert Kurvitz would’ve been five years old when his countrymen issued a statement to the world claiming that it had been under illegal occupation by the USSR since WWII, and seven when they won their independence.

So, it’s not surprising that in my Commie Cop playthrough every other character treated my Marxist musings as outdated, unrealistic, ridiculous tirades. The game constantly reminded me of the millions that died as a result of communism.

I’m honestly curious why people think this game is communist propaganda when it seems to me to be the opposite.

Also, my opinion: DE deserved the win. It has the best writing since P:T, with the highlights being the creeping sense of apocalyptic dread, the characterization of the protagonist’s inner monologue, and the subtle growth of your relationship with your partner Kim. I ended up caring more about Kim than any previous video game companion.

On the other hand, the game seemed a bit unambitious in terms of the length of the main plot and the map size / variety.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Remember, in 2015 the Codex choose Underrail.
so what. Underrail is great.

Exactly, now we choose a game that is as bad as Underrail was good.
:littlemissfun:

I was re-watching Black Mirror's Hated in the Nation episode yesterday and was stricken by how much the way out, sci-fi cyberterrorist hacker that murders 380,000 people with cute little robotic honey bees looked like Josh once he shaved his head. Cool.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Why does everyone think Disco Elysium is communist?

It was funded by Estonian oligarch Magnus Linnemae, a member of the country’s right-wing Fatherland Party.

Let’s not forget that the Soviets invaded Estonia and forced communism on its people. Estonians typically had a very negative experience under communist rule and that really seems to come through in the world building of DE.

Estonian lead developer and writer Robert Kurvitz would’ve been five years old when his countrymen issued a statement to the world claiming that it had been under illegal occupation by the USSR since WWII, and seven when they won their independence.

So, it’s not surprising that in my Commie Cop playthrough every other character treated my Marxist musings as outdated, unrealistic, ridiculous tirades. The game constantly reminded me of the millions that died as a result of communism.

I’m honestly curious why people think this game is communist propaganda when it seems to me to be the opposite.

Also, my opinion: DE deserved the win. It has the best writing since P:T, with the highlights being the creeping sense of apocalyptic dread, the characterization of the protagonist’s inner monologue, and the subtle growth of your relationship with your partner Kim. I ended up caring more about Kim than any previous video game companion.

On the other hand, the game seemed a bit unambitious in terms of the length of the main plot and the map size / variety.

It's not really communist. Players can role play multiple ideologies that are generally well supported during interactions with the environment and the prevailing sentiment of both the narrative and most the characters in it tends to be some variety of cynicism, but the game is underwritten so that communist interpretations of the human condition are romantic and basically originate in the good, noble part of human nature. These are loose correlations, but communism is the Open Palm/Paragon and capitalism is the Closed Fist/Renegade option.

This underwriting of communism isn't limited to the main character, whose dialogue and role playing choices tend to be over the top (regardless of ideology) relative to most other characters.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Why there are no slot machines in the goty RPG pool? They have the same core mechanics of RPGs. Just replace the XP points with actual coins.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Those slot machines have too much combat (struggle against your base dopamine desires) and aren't Communist enough.

Black Angel

Arcane
For the storyfaggots out there, just bear in mind that Underrail's story is not about emotional punches, that is not what it does. It is a mystery story.
Funny thing is, I just wanted to post in response to Black Angel that by "lack of direction" I mostly meant the lack of an overall mystery in Underrail's early game - the first 15 hours or so. Or, more exactly, the game does offer you some unanswered questions - but does not let you pursue answers, instead having you do chores for the SGS administration. Which really hurts it narrative in my view.
Well, do you think having to look for the waterchip for Vault 13 during an ENTIRE first half of the Fallout 1 is a 'chore'? I know that Fallout 1 lets you go out of your way and end the game very early by letting you deal with the mutants immediately from the start, but that's beside the point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom