Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2019: Results & Cool Graphs

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I hope they go forward with more adventures on the Mars colony. This setting has a ton of potential. And the final revelation of Technomancer can make the sequel wildly interesting.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I hope they go forward with more adventures on the Mars colony. This setting has a ton of potential. And the final revelation of Technomancer can make the sequel wildly interesting.
Yeah,that will be an interesting shit. Tho i believe that they will go for a cyberpunk vibe in their next game. Anyway i am looking forward to their next game,i have enjoyed all of their games till now,even the eco fairy one :).

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Now that the poll is complete and the planets have aligned, I can do this:

WUi4RhP.png

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Is it possible to merge GOTY polls from 2012-2019 like it was done for 2012-2016 here: https://rpgcodex.net//content.php?id=10535

This way we could get a definitive RPG Codex ranks of new releases.
Our votes aren't so consistent year by year, a shitty year makes some games stand out, and I also changed the system some years ago from 1-5 to 1-4, since everyone just rated everything 3/5 - Meh.

IMHO this graph is much more interesting and "accurate" than a merged list would be.

What do you use for data visualisation, felipepepe? ggplot?
Google sheets :P

Excel makes prettier bubble graphs, but I'm not gonna pirate it just for that.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Does it actually have a narrative, a plot, you know, story?

Upd: I'm asking seriously.
Underrrail's focus is on combat and exploration.
Ahh to have a good exploration you need a good story/mystery to solve. You don't just explore to find a bunch of mushrooms or some ammo. The game have really good setting that evokes the player's inner curiosity. It does disservice to the game to just lump it as a combatfag game. It is an actual RPG and you could play it different ways.

biggestboss

Liturgist
I voted for Slay the Spire even though it’s not an RPG because it was actually good unlike all the other games on the list.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I had the impression people really liked the game but the pushback was strong.
Most people liked it,here it got lower score because people that hate,hate it with zeal and spam downvoted. In my poll it got around 60% of the votes,around 150 people. In the end i will recommend to try it out and judge for yourself,it is a divisive game,tho most of the people that hated it haven't even played it.

Spellforce 3 expansion was really good,but it came to early for people to remember it for the goty. I even ended up buying it,it is an old school expansion that is like 20-30 hours of gameplay. Also the writing is still on the level,one of the best we had seen in the past decade. The mods/admins here did a big disservice to the game when they removed it from the RPG forum and put it in the strategy one. Maybe that is why it didn't get noticed by a lot of people.....shame,it is one of the better rpgs out there.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Spellforce 3 expansion was really good,but it came to early for people to remember it for the goty. I even ended up buying it,it is an old school expansion that is like 20-30 hours of gameplay. Also the writing is still on the level,one of the best we had seen in the past decade. The mods/admins here did a big disservice to the game when they removed it from the RPG forum and put it in the strategy one. Maybe that is why it didn't get noticed by a lot of people.....shame,it is one of the better rpgs out there.
They announced a plan to re-do the base game with the expansion mechanic upgrades, maybe this "remaster" will finally get the attention it deserves.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
They announced a plan to re-do the base game with the expansion mechanic upgrades, maybe this "remaster" will finally get the attention it deserves.
Shame,i liked the old mechanics more...or at least most of them. The new stream lining of the strategy mechanics are good,but the dumbing down of the RPG skills is not. The old RPG part is far better than the new one. I do hope it sells well,but i kind of doubt it. It is a new game that just gets a remake. Also their engine is really amazing,i was surprised how well optimized it is and how it could support a lot of models and animations. I really do want to see more of their games.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
spam downvoted
So, you are saying there was no spam upvoted? Hard to believe.
:nocountryforshitposters:
Of course there was. Still the neverdisco crowd is fanatical in their hate,the downvoting was 10 times more than up voting. Their sect mentality is like that of the SJWs mate. Haven't you seen how they begun calling felipe a discoshill just for liking the game? Same with Cleve when he said that he likes it. The moment someone likes the game is seen as some kind of heretic that should be kicked out of their group. I don't think that it is a normal reaction to a fucking game.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
What do you use for data visualisation, felipepepe? ggplot?
ggplot is great. The labels on these charts are atrocious, hard to read in some spots. ggplot allows for more control. felipepepe, any chance you can release the full data for all the years?
They have always been released, there's a link to the full data at the end of every GOTY result post. The one I used for the graph is this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gP0_g6pWdZY8anrKMvw4UnVbhpFdyKUQec-RodJBEfg/edit?usp=sharing

Clearly you weren't here the first years I did this, when we had like 20 pages of fights about methodology, statistics, bayesian averages, etc...

:negative:

Last edited:

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I can maybe understand Torchlight II due to kiddie graphics, but I must have missed the memo about the apparent consensus that Borderlands 2 was shit, on par with dumpster fires such as Fallout 4, Inquisition and Andromeda. What?

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I can maybe understand Torchlight II due to kiddie graphics, but I must have missed the memo about the apparent consensus that Borderlands 2 was shit, on par with dumpster fires such as Fallout 4, Inquisition and Andromeda. What?

I haven't played it but I imagine part of the reaction is due to Epic store hate.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I haven't played it but I imagine part of the reaction is due to Epic store hate.

That makes sense for BL3, but not BL2, which was released in 2012. I'm basing my question on the combined chart Felipe posted; look at the middle-left side.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom